The Q Up

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ibanez_ax, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anybody use or know if this is something that is worth buying? This device automatically lifts the tonearm at the end of records.

http://www.thequp.com/

2. docdan50

docdan50 Forum Resident

Works well for me with vpi 10.5i

3. Claude

Claude Senior Member

4. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

I've been wondering the same thing as the OP. I'd like one for my Rega. It seems a bit overpriced, but I guess that's to be expected with hi-fi accessories. Does it have to be shaved down like the website shows to fit a Rega?

5. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Bought one from Brian at Whetstone in Austin about a month ago and haven't installed it yet. Long weekend coming up, should have time then. BTW, that will be on a P5.

6. Kaiser "SET" Say

Kaiser "SET" Say Member

I have been very satisfied with mine, it actually comes with different height risers that are also grooved so you may not need to shave anything and I just taped mine with electrical tape once I had my height right:)

Attached Files:

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. I have an AT LP120 and I measured and it appears it will fit. I just might order one.

8. samn

samn New Member

It works wonderfully on my RP3 as I tend to doze off when listening to vinyls. Better have it to protect those diamond needles.

9. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Active Member

Is it worth buying? In my opinion no. It provides one of the highest ratios of what you get for what it actually is I've seen in hi-fi—$.50 worth of poorly cast plastic for $59.95. I really feel the q-up is a world class piece of junk. I have a stylift I bought on eBay for about $40 and I like it much better, though it's also a bit fiddly to set up and they haven't been made in years so second hand is the only option. I'm interested in an Audio Technica safety raiser but they're well into the $100s typically and I've yet to be bothered. I'll probably just wait for another stylift to come along so I can replace the q-up on my second table.

10. My original Thorens Q up has served me flawlessly for 30 yrs.
    ymmv

11. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Works great on my SOTA. It's well worth the asking price.

Problem on the REGA is it will 'pop' the arm up a bit and it will hit the inside of the dust cover (because it's so low on REGA's).

Doesn't hurt anything but kind of annoying noise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.