PC 2.1 systems vs Amplifier + Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by basuled, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basuled

basuled Member Thread Starter

I listen to music when I work on my PC (I am a computer programmer) and thus 95% of the time the volume never crosses 9'0 clock with the foobar volume at the -25 db range.

I have a Audioquest Drangonfly 1.2 DAC to which is attached a Onkyo A-9030 integrated amp that drives 2 x PSB Alpha B1s.

My question is at this volume does it really matter whether I have such a setup or may be if I used an off the shelf 2.1 Sony speaker system? The price of my system is like 15 times higher than the 2.1 systems. Is it really worth?

Or integrated amps are meant for hearing it loud?

Here is my cute setup. It won't match you all's state of the art systems but this is all I can afford (as of now).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the fly...

[​IMG]

2. Nice set up! Those pieces should make good sounds.
    Unless finances dictate it, I wouldn't downgrade to PC speakers.

Johnny Vinyl and basuled like this.
  3. I wouldn't downgrade either if sound matters to you. What I would do however is get some Auralex MoPADs for underneath your monitors. They'll isolate the monitors from your desktop and you'll be able to angle them upward with tweeters pointing closer to your ears.

basuled, Burning Tires and Robert C like this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If you find space is becoming an issue, consider some active monitors, which combine amp in the speaker housing. Quite a few models at your price range too.

basuled, Burning Tires and c-eling like this.
  5. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

totally worth IMO.

i never looked back since i upgraded the pc rig to a integrated amp / bookshelf speakers + subwoofer combo.
    I now spend quite some time in front of this setup. ( even more since i added a turntable to it)

basuled likes this.
  6. basuled

Thanks for the suggestion. Aurlex MoPADs are not available in our country but I will look around if I can get something. Or may be I can use dense foam.

Space is not an issue at all. I would rather say, I am trying to justify my investment.

That's cool. Interestingly, I got myself a Pioneer PL-11 turntable (yet to set up). But now you got me all excited. I am not very sure about the sub. I took audition and found it produces too much boom and whooooooooooom for my taste.

7. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Whatever you can do to reduce the noise from the CPU will increase your enjoyment of the music. At least, I find that the quieter the environment, the more I appreciate it.

basuled likes this.
  8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'd put the computer under the table - move the source of fan noise away.

9. basuled

I can never do that. That CPU is my source of income, can't keep it under the table. It has those super quiet fans that has no audible sound. My room split air conditioner makes more noise in the summer months like a hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss when it blows the cold air in. :laugh:

10. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

I would agree that you won't get fifteen times better sound with your current set up then with two good speakers running from your PC. You will though get better sound with what you've got.

If listening to music while you are working is important to you then the investment you've made is surely worth it.
    The only obvious improvement you can make, as has been pointed out, is some isolation for the speakers.

Now to the important question. What are those two ships on the wall?

11. Metralla

OK - but that is quite a baffling comment.

flac and Robert C like this.
  12. basuled

It is just that the CPU is something that I respect and I have a mental blockage keeping it near my feet.

My other hobby is collecting diecast scale model of cars (mainly). But I buy trucks, bus, ships, planes too if I really like them.

Those two are 1/200 replica of 2 ships 1911 Olympic and 1935 Normandie. Glad that you asked!

[​IMG]

c-eling likes this.
  13. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Yes you can put the CPU on the floor - that’s where it belongs. And your sound environment will improve.

Robert C likes this.
  14. Metralla

and you will have oodles more desk space!

15. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Glad to hear it. I wondered. Mine is near-silent, too. I can't tell whether it's on or off without looking at the lights.

Mike

16. flac

flac Well-Known Member

The CPU? CPU is central processing unit...the processor. The whole computer isn't the CPU. Unless I'm missing something here..

Semantics aside, your setup is nice. I wouldn't downgrade.

17. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

What is being said about the CPU being on the desk and so affecting the sound is correct.

What will be happening is that sound from the right speaker will reflect off the box, whereas sound from the left where there is more space beside it has little to reflect off. By removing the CPU you will have a symmetric sound.

The alternative would be to get a piece of board about the same width and height of the CPU and stick it on the left edge of your desk.

Why not remove the CPU temporarily to see if it really does make a difference. Could you not, for example, put it on the floor by the right of the desk but sitting on a small table to keep it off the floor (perhaps reducing dust uptake)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.