Five Nights At Freddy's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

So, being that Halloween is coming up....

Has anyone here played "Five Nights At Freddy's", the indie game (literally - it was made by one person) that was released this past August and became an instant success? (Enough so that the creator jumped into action and made a VERY highly anticipated sequel.)

While the concept isn't *totally* unique, as certainly the idea of 'scary things happening as seen by switching security cameras' has been done before, it's incredibly effective in its execution. You can't move from the spot you're sitting in, you know that four robots in the same building are out for your blood, and you have no defense except two doors you can only close for short periods of time. The creator managed to wring as many genuinely frightening possibilities out of this scenario as possible, using both sound (seriously, headphones are the way to go) and an almost unbearable bubble of tension that could burst unexpectedly at any moment.

Needless to say, not even being a horror fan, I fell in love with the game instantly!

drivingfrog likes this.
  2. TheLazenby

Huh, no one?!

That's shocking, folks everywhere else I go online won't hush up about it. :p

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

4. TheLazenby

You're actually not the first person I've heard say that!

My buddy knows the two games in and out because of the Freddy's Wiki - but cannot work up the guts to actually *play* them. (The sequel was pitifully far from scary, and basically exaggerated the flaws rather than the positives of the first game; but the first game is genuinely terrifying.)

5. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

I've played the first in moderation, as I can't handle the anxiety too well. But I've enjoyed playing and watching it. Really goes to show how a simple concept can get quite the mileage.

TheLazenby likes this.
  6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

My teenage son loves it yet I keep having to tell him to not play it or talk about in front of his younger brothers. If it scares me it's bound to scare them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.