The Who - 2014 Remasters (HDTracks/iTunes)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Me too. If they post on Monday, I'll make the fell swoop. At least it's a holiday weekend so there will be plenty of listening time after family obligations.

2. dee

dee Senior Member

Dondy, that take of Gettin' In Tune can't be long enough as far as I am concerned, so what's another 15 seconds of pleasure. Minor 'ugh' in the grand scheme I guess. Call and response in 'there once was a note' and 'pure and easy' is an important bit to me in that section, dunno the point of it not being included.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  3. dee

dee Senior Member

I wonder if it's possible that for the U.S. MG LP release if the reason 'Instant Party' is in parenthesis next to 'Circles' is not because it was confused as a 'sub title' for Circles, but instead was being considered along with Circles as the album closer, and if it simply remained written there as such in the print when Circles was chosen to end the lp. Then in 'O2 a new stereo mix of IP is released and now we have via download the mono Instant Party 'Mixture' mix. When I can't decide between two songs or sequences, often I will write the second or alternate choice in parentheses, adjacent to the first. It's curious to me. Instant Party Mixture is probably the most 'American' track on the MG lp with the doo wop vocals and then the Chuck Berry riff at the end, while in Circles there's nothing remotely going on about a party. A curiosity.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    Jet Age Eric likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I agree that those vocals should be there, but unfortunately the boot mixes just don't sound that great. So it's six of one, half a dozen of another.

5. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Is the stereo mix of A Quick One (as found on iTunes) vintage or was it made in the 90's?

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Vintage, although So Sad About Us has added reverb for some reason.

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

With all of the complete album collection box sets surfacing for so many artists, don't you think there is a possibility that Universal could do the same thing for The Who next year?

8. NearysEpiphany

NearysEpiphany Forum Resident

I'm assuming the SHM-CD stereo for A Quick One (the album) is vintage as well? Although I should know better than to assume anything at this point

9. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

I think a Who's Next Super Deluxe would be the next logical physical release since they have done Tommy, Leeds, and Quad Super DE's already.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 2002/3 secret reissue is the only release that contains remixes for any of the tracks on the original LP.

11. This is what confuses me. If they had So Sad About Us for that release, why is the new remaster taken from vinyl with added reverb? What CD has the best So Sad About Us minus the reverb.
    I would love to have this song in true 24 bit.

12. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I agree. I'm holding off on any of these downloads for that very reason. Fingers crossed.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 2002/3 CD had a remix of So Sad About Us.

The 2008 SHM set used the old MCA CD as a source.

The 2012 SHM set used a needledrop as a source.

The best source for the original stereo mix is the old MCA CD.

14. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

So where would one locate the unedited for "copyright" content versions of my generation etc from Leeds?

15. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

Where did tracks 4, 5, 7, 8 (fake stereo on MCA) come from on the 08 disc?

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The MCA CD was only used for So Sad About Us. I believe everything else from the original album came from the German A Quick One master tape, which is likely mostly a copy of the German The Who master tape.

And See My Way is fake stereo on all stereo releases regardless.

InStepWithTheStars and getitgoin like this.
  17. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

18. dee

dee Senior Member

Rob, am looking forward to your Sell Out notes. Got the 2014 stereo Sell Out lossy download last night. Listening to it and the previous deluxe edition. The '14 is noticeably quieter. Just listening to the bonus tracks for now. Truth be told, I was not unhappy at the time with the '09 release and listening to it again, I realize why is because I generally like the tone/eq of it and of course the bonus material, sequencing, and packaging, though it is obviously mastered significantly louder than this '14 release.

John's horn overdubs, arrangement, and the mix on "Someone's Coming" is a curiosity and joy to hear. Cool little tune.

Summertime Blues sounds especially good to me in this latest release. Like the quick tempo and the way the band plays it and the sound of it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  19. If they had the tapes to remix for the secret 2002/2003 CD, why are they now using a vinyl source?

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They aren't using remixes for the original album tracks now.

21. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange Thread Starter

My Sell Out notes are not too big - you've hit the nail on the head! It's quieter and exactly how it should have been issued 5 years ago. They got rid of crossfades so songs are more complete, though the backwards bits from Armenia have been removed from the end of the disc - no big loss though.

dee likes this.
  22. dee

dee Senior Member

Thoughts on the sound of the MG mono bonus tracks? The '08 and '12 discs from Japan might sound as good as they are going to get, but when I compared Shout and Shimmy and Anytime You Want Me from the Who's Missing comp, I found the latter a slightly better listen to me. The tone seemed a bit warmer and/or the sound a bit larger if that makes sense. I wonder if the 2014 bonus tracks sound exactly the same as either the 2012 or 2008. I felt like the latter sound a little piercing or pinched or a little too forward. It seems slight, not as much as the 50 Hits vs. Quad soundtrack for Zoot Suit, but still I have to turn the volume down lower than I would like to for the MG mono bonus cuts. The 2012 production notes say a flat transfer was made at 24/96 and ed'd and remastered for cd. I guess I will have to buy the mono yet again, ugh, for the 2014 bonus tracks in case it is a different mastering.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  23. OK, so let me get this straight. They have the original multitracks to do remixes, but NOT the original stereo master to make a TRUE 24-bit file? They would rather use a vinyl source then try to dublicate the original mix?

24. Isn't this the "Happy Jack" CD?

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A Quick One was never issued in stereo in the UK, and thus there's no single stereo master tape. Copies were made for the US and Germany, and a few songs were later issued on compilations in the UK. The primary sources for the recent stereo releases have been German tapes, and "So Sad About Us" was never issued in stereo in Germany (it wasn't on The Who, and A Quick One had it in fake stereo). I don't know why a US tape hasn't been used.

It's A Quick One (Happy Jack).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.