AC/DC OZ/New Zealand Albert Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone know if the New Zealand Albert pressings use the same stampers/mastering as the Australian Alberts? Thanks.

2. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Anyone?

3. Neilson77

Also, do the later re-pressings on the black albert label use the same stampers/mastering? A repress is different to a reissue yes? Same stampers? There are a few re-pressings of the Aussie LPs on blue/black and red albert label.

4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I wonder if this wouldn't vary from record to record. High Voltage by AC/DC came out in Australia in 1975. The first New Zealand pressing I think was in 1981. If true then what would be the same stampers between the two?

5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I have a couple Albert originals (oz) with the yellow label rim design. I once had second or later Albert pressings (plain dark label) and if I recall right, the matrices were different. The sound was pretty close though. Can't say anything about the NZ versions.

6. Neilson77

I've found a blue label of TNT and black label repressings (1980) of High Voltage and Dirty Deeds. According to Discogs deadwax info is the same. I was just wondering if stamper wear could be a factor in sound quality? Or would they make new lacquers from the mother?

7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its possible. Discogs is more reliable here than my off the cuff memory. I 'seem' to recall the black labels had different markings or maybe just on one side. In any case they sounded better than my US copies and but not quite as good as the blue/yellow label OZ originals. Stamper wear is a factor of course but typically they were replaced at proper intervals with fresh stampers. (The lacquer is what the mothers are made from).

Neilson77 likes this.
  8. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

There's the usual dodgy looking pirate pressings coming out of eastern Europe to watch out for.

9. Neilson77

What's the going price for the Oz Albert Blue/Black Label High Voltage, Dirty Deeds and TNT? Im seeing later black label re-pressings going for the same price as the Blue labels!

10. Neilson77

Anyone know if there's a difference in sound quality between the Australian and New Zealand pressings? Also, would there be a difference in sound quality from the blue labels to the later black label re-pressings? Thanks.

11. Neilson77

Come on people, could use some help with this please!

12. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Today I received a New Zealand 1981 pressing of "High Voltage". I have an early Aussie LP to compare and the New Zealand LP has more treble. Very nice pressing quality, but a bit too harsh for my taste. I also received "Let There Be Rock" (1981 New Zealand) and it sounds just right to me. At the time I am listening to Side A and I hope Side B will sound the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.