Poll: Do You Like Pink Floyd's The Endless River?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Nov 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

other excellent records from legacy artists circa 94

voodoo lounge
    sleeps with angels
    from the cradle
    buddha of suburbia

2. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Apologies if I sound stupid but what is the connection between your post and mine?

3. footlooseman

i wanted to point to other records from the era of the division bell that were IMO excellent

Bolero likes this.
  4. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

But the discussion was about The Final Cut

5. footlooseman

then i am dense. a thousand apologies

Pancat likes this.
  6. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

No worries.

7. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Musicians are quite often not involved in the production of an album at all, that hardly makes them less participants.
    Albums with the musicians producing is something that is a bonus to their participation when they do, not a subtraction from it when they do not.

8. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have no doubt Roger would come back if David stopped being his usual miserable self and asked him.

No doubt at all.

9. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

This Roger thing is mostly about Roger's ideas. It's his songwriting "sketches" that made the Floyd what it was. Not his singing (though his voice had a "character" that might have been useful). This album could have used his writing, he didn't even have to perform on it.

10. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I think it is crazy that people think Pink Floyd owes them things. Pink Floyd owes us absolutely nothing at all, be lucky you got what you got !!!

Diamond Dog, tkl7, KASHMIR and 3 others like this.
  11. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Miserable self? Where does that come from? The guy seems like one of the most happy go lucky and pleasant men on the planet.
    PF became a better band after RW left, which I think was where any misery he might have had was at to begin with. When they did MLOR they did it after having shed baggage and any reason for misery.

Carserguev likes this.
  12. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

What made PF great was their fantastic music writing and musicianship as well as creative recording techniques. That there was for a while someone in the band creating a blank canvas for the rest of them to work on was really not that big a role.
    I think the album couldn't have gained anything with his input.
    This album is, if anything, proof that the band was always about sound and emotion, not words. The words were incidental to the greater effect.

13. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I just bought this on vinyl; the music is good.....but it's the most pathetic piece of crap pressing of an LP I have ever played

pops, clicks, crackles, surface noise....who pressed these??

ran it through the cleaner 2x just to be sure there wasn't any funk or pressing remnants in the grooves. to no avail

14. rudiger

rudiger Well-Known Member

The disc is quite pleasant to listen to but it sounds as already heard. Too evocative of the sounds of the good old days.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I gave the two LP version a first listen this morning and agree with you 100%. My first Floyd album was bought in 1969 and I've been a fan since then and hear different elements of past Floyd in the new album.

16. Brian Frank

Brian Frank Forum Resident

It may not be something I reach for a lot, but there will be times when I do. It's beautiful!

Pancat likes this.
  17. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Sadly, I have to agree. The quality control of the physical product was abyssmal. Thank goodness the music is great.

18. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

I have listened to this album several times, and it seems to get less interesting each time. Gilmore's endless noodling starts to become tiresome, and many of the pieces take ages to go nowhere in particular. I like ambient music, but I'm struggling to find much substance in this. I like Rick's bit from 68.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I dig the album.... one of the rare few SHF polls in which I'm actually in the majority. ;)

sound chaser and Pancat like this.
  20. I also like this album after having listened to it 5-6 times now. I will stay away from the usual comparisons and accept it for what it is.

CrimsonPiper and Pancat like this.
  21. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Who the hell is 'Gilmore' and what has he got to do with Pink Floyd?

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

[​IMG]

ARK likes this.
  23. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident

I love this album

24. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I have to agree with Toby on this release.
    Being a major PF fan it is hard to go to the dark side but this release is really bottom of the barrel.
    Kind of like WYWH..the fantasy edition.

How about an immersion set of Animals or Meddle Dave?
    I can understand this being a tribute type of issue but we could all gave a dollar each and save them a bunch of time.

Zeki and Toby Benjamin like this.
  25. Morfmusic

Morfmusic Forum Resident

You can say all you like about "Heaven and Earth",but at least they attempted something that sounded NOTHING like their vintage years.Endless River sounds like a re-hashed jam of their former selves.Yes there is some cringey stuff on H and E but i think Subway Walls is fresher and stronger as a song than anything on E.R.I'm anticipating a ****-storm here :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.