Jethro Tull didn't quite translate through the generations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by timind, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old school

old school Senior Member

I think you have it backwards. You are a young guy under 30 on a music forum with many young people on it and think you are a spokesperson for the young
    people which you are not! That's real life.

glenecho and SteveMac like this.
  2. klinkhamer

klinkhamer Forum Resident

Things might have been different if in Breaking Bad Jake Pinkman had played some Tull for Jesse on his piccolo.

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

One thing not mentioned is that because Anderson is a flautist, they do pick up young listeners through the band geek network. Not a lot, but probably similar in numbers to the younger people who discover Zappa.

Heck, I remember learning about Chase when I was in band, and he'd been dead for over a decade, and never had mainstream popularity beyond his one minor hit.

ian christopher and old school like this.
  4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

OK. You win. Jethro Tull is beloved by all generations, by all people, for all of time. /thread

LSP and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. old school

old school Senior Member

Yes they are beloved by all generations. Why the sarcasm it's only a music forum not real life.

Pete Puma likes this.
  6. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Who cares? I'll be dead and I don't equate what "young people" like with the greatness of a band anyway, if anything its a negative correlation. I suppose based on your rationale that Bach is disposable as well ? If he is, then again, who cares? I'll be listening to Tull and Bach till I die, thats all that matters.

old school likes this.
  7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

That's exactly what I'm saying. People around here are so dead set on "their bands" living on forever in the minds of future generations they don't realize the bands have already died. But who cares? Everything goes away in the end.

LSP likes this.
  8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

JT is a band which I have tried to find out what made people like them, but so far I still can't figure it out. And I have very, VERY wide tastes. Perhaps someday they will finally click for me like Opera did for the first time in my life during in this past year (which I NEVER though would happen).

ian christopher likes this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:laugh:

Yeah, it's weird for me, too. But, I'm committed to change!

old school likes this.
  10. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Agreed brother...

11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Who is she? :love:Every time I see your avatar I can't remember what thread I'm in. This is the Black Sabbath ABA thread, correct?!

GodShifter and old school like this.
  12. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

13. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

It's funny, when I was a kid I actually hated Jethro Tull ( well didn't hate, I liked Aqualung a little) but in recent years I've really come to appreciate them and love them.

ian christopher likes this.
  14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Yeah but Tull only covered one Bach tune. Ooops, you said Tull and Bach. Sorry. :D

Zeki likes this.
  15. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Check out my avatar ;)

GodShifter likes this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You are the inspiration for the change, Mr. Collins. I figure if you can do it, so can I. :D

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

:laugh:

18. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I can take 20 minutes from almost every tull year from 1969-82 which out class probably every post 1980 bands best 20 minutes of music. I'd say 50% of tulls best 100 songs are outtakes and singles. These are songs which didn't even make albums.

Tone_Boss and ABull like this.
  19. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident

Sorry but no.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  20. Slice of reality: I was at my local record store about an hour ago, and while I was doing some crate-digging I listened in on a trio of early-20somethings as they were going through the display racks of new vinyls. They seemed particularly interested in the new Floyd and Bowie. I told them they should get with the program and check out some Minstrel In The Gallery instead, and this girl in horn-rimmed glasses punched me in the nose. This last bit may be a fabrication.

21. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

She actually kicked ya in the nads , right ?
    Hope you were wearing your codpiece.

22. old school

old school Senior Member

Yes it is so damn hard to figure out why people like them. If you can't figure it out you never will.

23. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

The blues/rock band up to and including Benefit is great - still love listening to this period. I quite like Aqualung, however, by Thick As A Brick they had run their creative course.
    A Passion Play is a corny mess and marks their decline for me. Not certain what period of Tull would appeal to today's youth - probably none at all.

24. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I grew up in the 80's and was/is a huge Tull fan. But other than the wannabe musicians and prog rock fans, nobody around me listened to them even back then.

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Remember how in the 60's , listening to The Rolling Stones and other blues-based British artists and bands led many Americans to "discover" Muddy Waters ,Howlin 'Wolf and others-- going all the way back to Robert Johnson? Even in the '70's it was likely that many fans of hard rock and heavy metal had at least some familiarity with the blues musicians who helped inspire those genres. But think about it, by the 80's that was no longer the case--heavy metal fans of that decade had little knowledge of the African-American bluesmen--but they knew and appreciated Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. My point is that the "originators" fade from view as the musical styles they sparked evolve further and further away from the source. Rolling Stones fans knew Muddy Waters, but did KISS fans? No, but they knew The Stones. Later, the "hair metal" bands were even further away from Muddy --and even from the Stones--but they appreciated KISS. That's the reality. Yes there are still some young people who are interested in history and will seek out the old Chess blues--just as there are some young people who might be checking out books about George Washington and The American Revolution, their interested sparked by exposure to Assassin's Creed.... (but I digress)
    What does this have to do with Jethro Tull? What bands did they inspire? What bands followed in their wake that played a progressive/blues/ classical/English-folk hybrid?
    I believe that if it wasn't for anomaly of 1970's AOR-radio ready Aqualung, we wouldn't even be talking about Tull in 2014....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.