Streaming ≠ End of Physical Media

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

yes also true, same happens with buying physical stuff.

2. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I must be the strangest human in the world, i'm in my late 30's I only own a handful of compact discs less than 100 probably. Most of them are limited releases on launch that come with dvd or blu ray.

I have hundreds of LP's and about 1tb of flac and hi res audio. Besides some occasional you tubing I never stream. In fact it never caught on with me at all. Everything I want to hear is on my phone in flac if I am not home.

My portable gear is not top of the line audiophile stuffs, I have an HTC one m7 i use poweramp for flac and I use a pair of audio technica IM50 buds, most streaming sounds like crap. The reason I bring up my mobile is i would never stream at home to begin with, if i ever did it would be on the go on my mobile or at work. I feel even in that situation I would rather have my sound quality. I know there's high quality streaming NOW but I would never sacrifice sound quality and I have all my artwork on my phone for the albums too ! :)

3. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

PHEW!!, that's a relief. I was beginning to doubt my sanity. I queued for 15 minutes in HMV today, in order to pay for a strange, 12 inch, circular, black plastic object

I was beginning to think I had imagined the whole thing.

Time to put a record on!!

4. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

The music industry wants you to buy physical media? I wouldn't say that was completely true...especially CD's. At ten dollars a pop with no manufacturing costs and zero resale value, those downloads are probably very appealing to the suits. More so than a physical product, anyway.

Buy a CD and it can last the rest of your life, or you can re-sell it. I have records I've bought recently that were 40 years old, try doing that with a used download. You can't.

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Oh, good. I was afraid I was having some spooky deja vus reading this thread.

6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

When I met The Monkees, I thought about bringing some streaming music to have them signed. Then I realized it would be difficult for them to autograph streaming music, so I opted for a couple vinyl LPs and a CD instead. What was I thinking?

7. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Too bad CDs and LPs are the only items someone can autograph...

melstapler and Peter Pyle like this.
  8. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

Kids today don't want an autograph - they just want a selfie!

9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

Actually that's true. Or a regular picture. Autographs don't really mean anything. Pictures are worth more because you can share them and they're better to look at. Also less "stuff" to cart around.

10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

In bold............really? Don't some go for big bucks? Much more than pics. - at least for now.

11. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I agree with you 100% but I think streaming for young people is ruining physical/digital sales. I know plenty of kids that say they don't need to buy music when they can go on youtube or spotify. Sure guys my age(52) streaming can help me get into music I would otherwise no even know about. The younger generation unfortunately has limited funds and Xbox games etc are at the top of the list. When I grew up we had the radio but if you liked something you could buy the 45 or even LP. Now priorities have changed and a ton of my neighbors see no value at all in physical media or digital downloads. Sad but true.

Scott B

melstapler likes this.
  12. nbakid2000

Sure, if you're older. I know of no one my age who's into buying autographs. A picture is worth more.

13. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

AM or any other type of radio is random songs that might at some stage include the one you want, streaming is streaming the exact song you want like buying it is, can't see how you don't get that, completely different thing.

14. Django

Django Forum Resident

I think future generations just won't see the need. They will just stream whatever they want.

15. Technocentral

I walk into the city Centre (about 40 mins) and sometimes listen to Google Play problem is it drops out intermittently which drives me nuts, streaming is not reliable yet on portable devices anyway.

16. nbakid2000

I certainly understand the feeling of needing to reduce "stuff" or have less possessions. I have a real hard look at any thing I buy nowadays as far as "do I NEED this and how much space will it take up? Am I going to use this on a daily basis or just have it sit on a shelf taking up space?"

Django likes this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

No kidding, I wouldn't want to buy a picture with some dueche standing next to kid rock :D

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. Technocentral

Maybe you don't need all those shelves either.

Slick Willie likes this.
  19. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Did anyone actually make these outlandish claims?

20. nbakid2000

Yes. I can point to at least one person in the past couple of days who has made the claim that to take their physical media from them, it would be from their cold dead hands and that there was a conspiracy to do away with physical media.

In the past there have been others who have made similar claims as well. These are active members who post on a daily basis.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  21. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Kids I know at my workplace don't own ANY physical media. Seriously, none. I tried to loan one kid a CD to expose him to something that I though that he might like, but he had no way to play it at all. Even his computer lacked a CDR drive.

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. GreatKingRat

GreatKingRat Well-Known Member

Labels HAVE been actively trying (and ultimately failing) to get people to switch from CD to downloads for the past 10 years or so, to the point where they give exclusive tracks to various digital stores despite CDs always outselling the download and vinyl editions. Labels would prefer to not have to manufacture and distribute CDs because there's more money in digital downloads per "unit" for them (although actually less for the artist), and are only currently backing vinyl as they get to distribute less product and make more per unit than CD.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  23. I won't add my two cents to this thread, but I will bump it in a few years to see who wins.

goodiesguy and Scopitone like this.
  24. Also: is the OP German or Japanese? Cause that would at least give an idea where he may be coming from with this topic.

melstapler likes this.
  25. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Agreed 100%. With radio you had to wait for the song to come on. Streaming the consumer can play a song/album whenever they want to. It's a very big difference and I think has devalued music as a whole.

Scott B

Slick Willie and Peter Pyle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.