The Best OMEN film Poll!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by antonkk, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

Now what do you guys think - which Omen film was the best? I'm sure most will go with the first one as it had Gregory Peck and that unique dark unveiling mystery about it. Not to take anything from the first one but I personaly always loved the third one most. Damiens in all Omens were superb in their roles and ages however Sam Neil's performance made him forever one of my favourite actors. And while the first movie had the darkness and the mystery the final one had amazing religious ecstasy and the light of hope (much needed at this point). It sure had the mystery and the revelation at the end still sends shivers down my spine! Nothing can top the power of glorious finale at the Abbey. And of course Goldsmith's music, perfect throughout the trilogy reached mindblowing heights in The Final Conflict. Here the guy rocked as hard as Wagner and Orff in their prime. If there is a SACD I want more then others it's surely a Final Conflict OST (well it wouldn't hurt if the boxset with the all 3 will be released :)). As for DVD, I'm pretty happy with the Omen box so far though of course the proper DTS remaster and an improved transfer is desperately needed.

P.S. As for the second Omen - it's fine of course and has wonderful moments (teenage Damien is a standout), but it kinda lacks the power of the others. It looks like the line of accidents was done more for the sake of it (after all that's what the audience wanted after the first one - more cool deaths, God forgive me!) then to surve the plot. Now cast your votes gentlemen!

P.S.S. And don't get me started on the fourth one - we all know it sucks badly, don't we? :D

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Whichever one has Sam Neill. That movie was fannntastic.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I voted for the first, because it was the best. But honestly, I think they're all pretty weak - the first is badly overrated. Nothing more than "Exorcist" wannabe nonsense...

4. macready

macready New Member

I voted for the original. I like Damien: Omen II as well, it has a strong cast, William Holden, Lee Grant, Robert Foxworth and of course the outstanding performance by Jonathan Scott-Taylor as Damien. The Final Conflict is good stuff as well. Haven't seen the fourth one, and I don't plan on seeing it in the future.

5. Number one.
    I can do a neato Damien impersonation. You know, the scene where Gregory Peck is trying to kill the kid on the alter? ..."No, Daddy, noooo!!!"
    And didn't the last installment have a little girl in the lead role? If so, then I think I watched it one late night. Umm, not worth the trouble.

6. Ready Steady Go

Ready Steady Go Active Member

I used to do the same impersonation. It was a hit at parties. My dad loves the line said to a horrified Gregory Peck, "You must kill him." Number one gets my vote for being scarier, though Number two had some great campy/gruesome deaths for those who dared to mess with Damien. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

7. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Omen I is a fine film and then all hell breaks loose, don't even bother with the other ones.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

The first one is the only one that was any good at all, and even it doesn't hold up too well. The series got progressively sillier, to the point of utter camp. Was it in III that one guy gets ripped up by a pack of beagles? I mean, beagles?!?! Snoopy is a beagle!

9. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Omen 1 was my vote. Got to see that at a Drive In. Was really good at the time. However I must say I still did enjoy Omen II as well.

10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

You have to admit, the doctor getting sliced in half by the elevator cable WAS pretty damn cool! ;)

11. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

The first one.....the others simply don't matter.

12. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

I enjoyed the first one, but never thought it was great. I saw the 3rd film at the theater
    in its first week of release. A real let down. I saw the 2nd film years later. It was better than
    I expected, but it really is just OK.

13. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

The first one is certainly the best film, but I too have a soft spot for The Final Conflict. There are some amazing sequences in that movie, and Sam Neill is captivating, but overall it's a bit of a mess. HOWEVER, it does possess one of the absolute best film scores in history, which elevates many of the scenes. Goldsmith's soundtrack to this movie is in my top three of all time. It truly is worth seeing the movie for that alone.

14. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I read the book for the first one and it creeped me out. The movie is decent, but they get worse as they go along (don't forget the fourth one!). I never bothered with the remake.

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Especially the ending... what an underwhelming finale for the original trilogy.
    After the deaths of all the potential "Christ babies", we're just supposed to believe that the real one is safe & sound somewhere, without any explanation of how or why?
    It really feels like they had no idea how to properly end the film and just went with a lame cop-out.

Damiano54 likes this.
  16. 1 & 2 are a tie for me.
    I like 3 mostly just for Sam Neill's performance.

Hated the 4th and the remake.

17. I actually think the first three comprise the best horror trilogy in history. Granted, that isn't a high bar with horror's tendency to churn out mindless sequels.

JimC likes this.
  18. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

:agree: I'd concur with these sentiments.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  19. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Well, they show a bit of scripture explaining how when Christ returns it will not be as a child, yet you have to wonder why Satan hasn't figured that out. Doesn't he have a copy of the Bible?

20. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I have what will easily be the strangest contribution to this thread: I went to the military school where the Omen II takes place. :tiphat:

wayneklein and Rocker like this.
  21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

But was Lance Henrikson your drill sergeant? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.