Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: In the Wee Small Hours (1955)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davidmk5, Nov 9, 2009.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Well, I dunno what to say, Robert! (Seriously, I just don't know what to say!)

I am curious: Can you not hear them *that well* -- or not at all? Me? In case you can't guess :laugh: I can't hear them at all. :kilroy:

2. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I can't hear them that well in those clips but in my car and on my sound system I can hear them clearly.

3. MLutthans

OK, then. Fair enough!

4. colormesinatra

I've got a story regarding this album that I'm sure many of you will appreciate:

Four or five years ago when I started to really get into Frank, I had borrowed my uncle's Capitol box set http://www.amazon.com/Capitol-Recor...sr=8-1&keywords=frank+sinatra+capitol+box+set

A few days later, I had brought the box set over to my grandparents house and I spread the covers of Frank's Capitol albums across their dining room table. The three of us just stood over the table as looked at the artwork as a collective and we were in awe of it all, those glorious paintings and the heavenly music that had filled the backgrounds of our lives growing up. At the time my grandparents were about 65 and 70, respectively. As we were looking at the albums on the table my grandmother picks up ItWSHs and she says this:

"This album. I remember when MY dad brought it home the day it came out. He came home with it from work that night. These albums were an event. No one made a noise once the record started. "

She then put the CD in her stereo and she began to listen to the album all over again. I'll never forget how emotional she got as the title track began to play. That story really touched me. It still touches me.

-Robert

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That's beautiful, Robert.

Simon A, colormesinatra and MLutthans like this.
  6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

MLutthans and MMM like this.
  7. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

It's 01:32 am in Spain, Signature Sinatra "In the Wee Small Hours" vinyl now playing on the turntable. What a joy. Great sound, not a single click/pop, Capitol grey label spinning and spinning... I'm glad to be happy.

MMM likes this.
  8. colormesinatra

I picked this up yesterday and finally got around to outfitting my stereo for pure mono. With the adjustment and this wonderful new LP...it was perfection listening to it!

bozburn likes this.
  9. There are A LOT of threads about the quality of the 2009 and 2014 In the Wee Small Hours vinyl reissues. After going through them it looks as though the new reissue from last month wins out with most people. Is there any way by looking at the covers in the shops if it is a 2009 or a 2014? Thanks!

10. MLutthans

Comparison of COME FLY WITH ME rear covers, with IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS having similar detail differences:
    [​IMG]

11. Ah! Very helpful. Many thanks! The one I eyed up at my local shop today then for sure is an "old" 2009 (would have remembered that large UMe logo). Did I comb through all of the posts right? Is the new 2014 generally better thought of than the 2009?

12. MLutthans

The 2009 has -- I'm not kidding -- the wrong track at the end of side one. o_O

13. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

^ Look for the Signature Sinatra logo on the 2014 LPs:
    [​IMG]

14. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

That was fixed later. I had a fixed copy... briefly.

MLutthans likes this.
  15. MLutthans

Ah...okay. Fixed or not, all of the 2009 incarnations for the album used the wrong (reverb-added) tapes, no?

16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Yes, I believe that's correct. I think that was the reason why I parted with it.

17. Yikes! So....2014 then!

18. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Gentlemen, I've been browsing through amazonU.K. looking for a back-copy of In the Wee Small Hours. I've only listened to the 1998 U.K. box-set edition and it's time to give it a rest. I found several vinyl issues and several CD issues of In the Wee Small Hours at amazonU.K. I almost bought the 1998 edition again, but this stopped me.

I didn't find this July 2014 CD with additional tracks mentioned here, but then, I've been thread-hopping and topic-reading all day here on Sinatra.. If I missed it, do forgive. Has any0ne heard this?

Get a load of the back cover:

[​IMG]

It does seem as if those responsible for choosing the extra tracks were not keeping the theme of the album in mind.

Question is, how does it sound?

19. MLutthans

20. Richard--W

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    MLutthans likes this.
  21. Richard--W

22. MLutthans

23. Richard--W

24. MLutthans

I'm confused as to why you have to give the disc you have "a rest." No other official CDs are mastered properly, and any cloned CDs that even begin to approach the quality of that disc are literally sourced from that very disc that you already own.

Bob F, bozburn and MMM like this.
  25. Salparadise

Salparadise Forum Resident

If the conclusion is that this disc is "the one" to buy, could someone please post information on how to positively identify it?

I have read through several threads and learned a huge amount about the nuances of the good and bad Sinatra recordings, but I remain confused as to how to actually identify and purchase the best, or at least one of the better quality, on CDs.

I will go for the box set if that's the way to get the quality. I realize the info is contained in the threads but it's very hard to decipher and organize if you don't know the acronyms and terminology because thing are often referenced in shorthand. Very interesting discussion!

Thanks!