Shunyata PS8 with Defender Review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albie

Albie New Member

Hello.I have been following this thread from the beginning as I had been considering a PS8 and Defender as my next system upgrade.8 days ago I bought the PS8,Defender and the Venom HC power cord,I didn't get the stainless steel feet.The build quality of the PS8 is excellent and worth every penny,far far better than the cheap $30 thing it replaced.I couldn't plug my amp into the cheap power bar and wouldn't want to anyways.
    I have an Arcam FMJ A38(105w/ch),Rel R328,Arcam FMJ CD17,Arcam rdac KW(for streaming),Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE's,Sony Blu-ray, Toshiba 40" and a Shaw cable box.All of these components are plugged into the Venom PS8 and it handles them wonderfully.
    At first I thought that something in the sound wasn't right.It was lack of noise,nothing wrong with that.Bass was tighter and instruments were more individualized.Soundstage just seemed better defined.The difference wasn't dramatic but wasn't subtle either,it was noticeable and welcome.I am waiting for the components to burn in more so that I can get a better feel for what it can really do.All in all I am happy with the Shunyata system I bought.I am considering replacing my diy power cords with some Shunyata cords.My diy cords are VH Audio.
    One thing I am a bit confused about.In the manual it mentions that components should be powered on and off in sequence with 10 seconds between each component.Is this for the first initial use or every use or is it even necessary at all?

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

You nailed it in your last few words...

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Hi Lee

I'm digging out this older thread to ask you a question. I just added this Shunyata combination into my system two days ago. I jumped ahead and installed it. I had put the Defender in the first position on the PS8. Then I read the literature and it recommends that the Defender be placed in the same wall socket but that it can be placed in the PS8. Any idea why the recommendation to place it in the wall socket versus the PS8?

I also added one other Shunyata Venom3 Power Cable for my Bel Canto C5i and tried the Shunyata USB connecting my Mac Mini to the Bel Canto.

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

I think the Defender being in the wall socket is akin to being upstream and offering greater protection. It seemed to work very well for me and so I've kept it in the socket.

5. LeeS

I believe it is for every use.

6. mwheelerk

Do you think I should shut everything down power wise before moving it?

7. LeeS

Yes.

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

How does it offer protection if it is in a different socket on a duplex outlet to the feed to the power conditioner. I'm interested in your explanation. If you don't know, that's fine; but please don't just add a link to some Shunyata web page.

9. mwheelerk

That is the thought that actually generated my question. When the information stated the preferred method was the wall socket versus on the PS8 itself I was trying to understand the reasoning and functionality for this.

10. LeeS

I honestly don't know how it works but I think it is dsigned to take a surge as long as it is on the same outlet.

Metralla and mikemoon like this.
  11. mwheelerk

I'll give a shout to Shunyata to answer my curiosity. Thanks Lee and others for responding. I moved it to the wall socket....and you wouldn't believe the difference!! (Just kidding)

VinylRob and LeeS like this.
  12. Metralla

Smile ;)

LeeS likes this.
  13. LeeS

Night and day! ;)

14. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

My guess is that it would short hot and possibly neutral to ground, allowing a lower impedance pathway through itself for unwanted current and to keep the extra voltage down instead of having them go through your gear. That's the only way I can think of, and if so, I can imagine some limitations I hadn't thought of before. Now with the Thanksgiving sales, I may finally pick one of these Defenders up since I'm a sucker for Power Gear.

Metralla and LeeS like this.
  15. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Thanks Lee (again) for the info. I have heard nothing but good (especially about the new lower level, being best value) about Shunyata Zitron mains gear. Would love to audition this latest stuff. In my experience, and kit, passive mains cords (for starters) have nearly always made an improvement in reduced hash, a lowering of the noise floor, and increased low level detail. Some have improved bass but that becomes a more system/component dependent thing.

Essential? Totally! Like a Bahama breeze Lee!

For me, the greatest revelation of how "game changing" good mains conditioning is, be it passive or active, is to listen to it for a time, then remove it and hear what you have lost/gained.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Metralla, jfeldt and LeeS like this.
  16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I have my Defender plugged directly into the same Shunyata duplex as the PS8. My two line components and power amp are plugged into the PS8. I had though about trying the power amp directly into the duplex and the Defender into the first PS8 position. In that configuration, is the power amp missing out on both surge protection and power conditioning?

As an aside, all of the doubters can likely come with a couple hundred bucks to try the Defender. Finally, a true entry level product! You will very likely hear an immediate improvement.

17. mwheelerk

I received a courteous and quick reply from Shunyata. Here is an excerpt.

"We recommend it at the wall only because that is where it is most effective for surge suppression and does not use an outlet in the PS8 (In case someone needs all 8 outlets). "

VinylRob likes this.
  18. LeeS

That is one reason I did it. I needed all 8 outlets. I have a lot of stuff. :)

Metralla likes this.
  19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

But if the Defender is plugged into the PS8 along with line components and the power amp is in the wall (same duplex as PS8), then is there any line conditioning (or surge suppression) for the power amp?

20. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Woah, that is a lot of stuff. I have only 4 things I need to plug in, but I split those across two V-Rays (don't ask) :hide:

21. Metralla

Agreed - I only have 4 items to plug in also (Running Springs Maxim).

I must say that the new power cords are getting some good personal reviews from well-heeled audiophiles who can afford more expensive cords.

22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Let me know where you see the sale, I tried Music Direct online but it did not take the coupon code for the gear when I entered it.

23. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Aw man, I was counting on the Music Direct code to work since the e-mail claims it applies to accessories as well. I just tried it and I didn't get a discount. Only applies to "certain" accessories it seems, at least for the "turkey10" code I have.

mikemoon likes this.
  24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I've noticed a lot of times, those coupons don't apply to things you really want. :shake:

mikemoon likes this.
  25. mwheelerk

I don't know how this compares to other offers but I can recommend this dealer who sells primarily online. It's where I buy the majority of my stuff.

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/2647/37582

mikemoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.