Dot, Liberty, Capitol, etc. 1950s Albums That Got the "Re-Record" Treatment in Stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

However, as was typical of the practice of stereo vs. mono releases at the time, two tracks from the mono LM-2139 version were left off the stereo LSC-2139 - "Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming" and "I Sing Of A Maiden." And having the 1946 recordings in the form of a two-record 45 EP released in 1954 (with the label maroon and that color being switched for black in the process of printing the label blanks so that the wooden surface of the phonograph Nipper's listening to looks almost olive yellowish), I can attest to the difference in arrangements.

Simon A likes this.
  2. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I meant My Fair Lady.The 1956,I think,stereo recording.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Only one mono and one stereo recording of MFL. Mono 1956, stereo redo a few years later.

4. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

Maybe capital was attempting some true stereo versions of Early Beatles tapes that were sent to the U.S. and Bernard Purdie was the session drummer. Sounds possible

5. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Tell me about this.I am playing this now.It sounds slightly different from both the 1956 mono and the 1959 stereo.The stereo separation is not that great,but it is there.The date on the back cover price sticker is June,1959.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]

When I recently compared the stereo re-recording of Pat's Great Hits by Pat Boone (above left) to the original Dot mono LP (above right) I was struck, but not particularly surprised, by how tepid some of the stereo versions of these hit songs were. The stereo remake of Love Letters In The Sand was particularly lifeless.

Speaking of Love Letters In The Sand, when I was comparing vinyl and CD versions of this song I was reminded that there are two versions of the song in mono: 1) one without the whistling introduction which appears on my original Dot 45 and the mono LP version of Pat's Great Hits, and 2) a second version with the whistling introduction which I have on several CDs, including one done by Steve for the MCA Vintage Music series.

Original Dot 45 mono version of Love Letters In The Sand without the whistling introduction:

Mono version of Love Letters In The Sand with the whistling introduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ENzT9k1LRs

Does anyone know the details behind the whisting intro version and where and when it first appeared?

7. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Apparently, there's three versions in mono + the stereo. :sigh:

Original mono (single version):
    24 November 1956 [18:00-21:00] Radio Recorders, 7000 Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood 38 – Pat Boone (Billy Vaughn [leader], Barney Kessel [gt], Jack Marshall [gt], Larry Breen [bass], Dick Shanahan [drums], Milt Adelstein [piano] + horns. Producer: Randy Wood)
    MB-9423 LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND 45-15570 45-16035/ BCD-15584

Mono remake #1 (fast version):
    5 February 1957 [19:00-22:30] Radio Recorders, 7000 Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood 38 – Pat Boone (Billy Vaughn [leader], Berney Kessel [gt], Jack Marshall [gt], Larry Breen [bass], Irving Kluger [drums], Milt Adelstein [piano] + horns + strings. Producer: Randy Wood)
    MB-9521 LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND [fast version] Dot unissued/BCD-15884

Mono remake #2 (whistling version?):
    24 March 1957 [12:30-15:30] Radio Recorders, 7000 Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood 38 – Pat Boone (Billy Vaughn [leader], Bobby Gibbons [gt], Jack Marshall [gt], Howard Roberts [gt], Larry Breen [bass], Dick Shanahan [drums], Lou Singer [xylophone], Milt Adelstein [piano] + vocal chorus. Producer: Randy Wood)
    MB-9582 LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND Dot unissued/BCD-15884

Stereo remake (LP version):
    ca. March 1959 Hollywood, CA – Pat Boone (unknown musicians + vocal chorus. Producer: Randy Wood) (stereo remakes with original master numbers)
    MB-9423 LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND DLP-25071 BCD-15584 [alt.] MCAD-31199

According to Richard Weize's discography, both mono remakes were left unissued. An alternate take as well as the master of the whistling version was issued on the Bear Family box The Fifties. The "fast" version is included as well; perhaps the "fast" version is the "whistling" version and the third version is something different. I'll have to check when I get home. Pat's 50s discography is a mess with all these re-recordings. In any case, I would rather compilation producers issue alternate takes of performances that were only recorded once, not twice, and certainly not four times. Only adds to the confusion! Also, the fact that Pat's stereo remakes for the Great Hits album uses the original matrix numbers was a very bad idea...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    I Love Music likes this.
  8. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

Thanks for the comprehensive information. It appears, then, that the mono version of Love Letters In The Sand with the whistling intro was not available commercially until later, perhaps not until the CD era.

.crystalised. likes this.
  9. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Indeed - that's the conclusion I've come to as well. I don't think it was released until the Bear Family box. Same goes for the other mono remake. "Love Letters In The Sand" is not an isolated incident, either. Another example: Boone cut "It's Too Soon To Know" FIVE times. The first two versions went unissued until the Bear Family box, the 3rd for the single and its original LP, and the 4th and 5th for other, later LPs...

Reminds me of Billie Holiday's discography. How many versions of "My Man" and "I Cover The Waterfront" does the world really need (apparently 24 and 20, respectively). Granted, Holiday's re-recordings are for very different reasons.

Either Dot's A&R department didn't know what to do with Boone, or he really, really liked songs like "It's Too Soon To Know".

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    I Love Music likes this.
  10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

"Bump" for a cool, long-abandoned thread.

Simon A likes this.
  11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Except Capitol was based in Hollywood and Bernard Purdie was based in NYC, which is why Atlantic hired him to overdub the Hamburg sessions. Hal Blaine or Jim Gordon would have been a more likely choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.