Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The flaw with that list is that it never starts over. Some titles have 15 years of voting activity while newer titles only receive a fraction of it making it lopsided and inaccurate. They should start fresh every year so that all released titles are given the same chance to be voted on.

John Grimes and artfromtex like this.
  2. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Thought that was the case,hence disc"s 2,3,4 been in the top 5.

So i don"t see a flaw going by the above placings.

3. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

So, I hate to repeat others on here but, of course, I will. My Elvis collection consist of Elvis 75 box set, the three decade box sets, All legacy 2 disc editions. Some single disc from the nineties like, Burning Love, Heart And Soul, (Vic Anesini remaster) Gold Records series, Promise Land, Only 5 FTDs. They are, All Shook Up, Burbank 68, Jailhouse Rock vol 2, Polk Salad Annie (a gift) and The Jungle Room Sessions. My focus as of now is, to collect prime Elvis. Mainly to finish the 50's masters, so I can replace the ones in the 50's box set. Secondly, to get Elvis's best 60's tracks in high quality, probably starting with Elvis Is Back as some have noted as being exceptional. Finally, I know I'm just tipping the Ice burg here But, I want Elvis's best concerts first like, Elvis In Person, and then go from there. Also, I have always heard great things about the 1969 sessions. Where should I start? What should my first three purchases be?

4. JimC

JimC Senior Member

^The FTD Memphis trilogy:

From Elvis in Memphis
    Back in Memphis
    At American Sound Studios

Just bought them this year. Amazing.

Pants Party, Rick H., ClausH and 2 others like this.
  5. John Grimes

On another note, if previously discussed, I apologize. Does So High, sound much better than the RCA, Tomorrow Is A Long Time?

6. John Grimes

Ok, I'll go for that remedy. Is that a triple disc set or?

7. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It's 3 separate 2-disc sets from FTD.

JimC and John Grimes like this.
  8. John Grimes

Thanks Mr. H, I'll look them up. I just assumed the FTD, Memphis Sessions covered it all. As far as 1969 studio material goes.

9. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

FTD's "Elvis is Back!" is my favorite: it's a stunning release. I would start with that one and follow up with the 1969 American Studios Sessions trilogy. I'm no big fan of the Vegas gigs but there is a great concert recorded on August 12th 1970 (Midnight show) with Elvis on fire, singing awesome stuff like the medley MYSTERY TRAIN / TIGER MAN and even doing a little "sit-down" section (LITTLE SISTER / GET BACK, LOVE ME, etc). The whole performance was available on a three CDs boxset, "That's the Way it is" (2000). Happy hunting!

Mr. H and John Grimes like this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

50's:
    If you are simply looking for the best sound quality for the masters, you do not necessarily need all FTD editions of albums from the 50's. Kevan Budd's 2005 remasters of "Elvis Presley," "Elvis," and "Loving You" are still relatively easy to find and will considerably less expensive than obtaining the same three FTD titles. That said, the outtake material on FTD's "Elvis Presley" and "Loving You" is pretty spectacular -- you will still get the Budd remasters along with compelling outtake material from the respective sessions. Frankly, the FTD edition for "Elvis" is underwhelming, although if you do not already of the 12/15/56 final Hayride performance, it is a nice bonus. The FTD edition of Love Me Tender is unnecessary and overpriced. Unless you love that particular e.p., I would stick with the 50's box set as your source.

Elvis Presley - FTD
    Elvis - 2005 Budd remaster
    Loving You - FTD
    Jailhouse Rock, Vol. 2 - FTD (you already have it)
    King Creole - 1997 remaster (although the FTD edition is fantastic, you will need to spend over $75 to obtain it as part of a book project)
    Elvis Christmas Album - FTD
    50,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong - FTD

60's (FTD releases):
    The three 1969 American Sound releases are essential and much more substantive than the Memphis Sessions compilation. The sound quality on the masters and outtakes is sensational and the content and sequencing is first-rate. Essential in every way. So, to answer part of your question, those should be your first three purchases (along with Elvis Is Back! bringing the total to four). In general, FTD has done fine work on Elvis' body of work from the 60's (although, the sound quality on a handful of soundtracks is inconsistent).

Elvis Is Back!
    Something For Everybody
    Pot Luck
    His Hand In Mine
    Blue Hawaii
    GI Blues
    Café Europa, GI Blues Vol. 2
    Elvis Sings Memphis Tennessee
    Elvis Sings Guitar Man
    From Elvis In Memphis
    Back In Memphis
    From Elvis At American Sound

Live (FTD releases):
    In Person (the 8/22 d.s. on disc two is among the finest live Elvis discs released, mixed and mastered by Vic Anesini)
    The Wonder of You (the 8/13/70 d.s., quite possibly the best live mix ever produced for an Elvis show, mix and mastered by Vic Anesini)
    The Return To Vegas (The earliest known live recording from Elvis' 1969 Las Vegas engagement, possibly from 8/3)
    The On Stage Season (high quality soundboards of the opening and closing shows from this winter 1970 Las Vegas engagement)
    Hot August Night (great 1969 show in great sound)
    Live In Vegas (great 1969 show in great sound)
    Boston Garden '71 (soundboard of a fantastic non-Las Vegas concert)
    On Stage (deluxe FTD set with loads of alternate live performances)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Rick H. and johnny q like this.
  11. John Grimes

Wow, PacificOceanBlue! You really went above and beyond to help a friend, and I appreciate that. What you provided helps tremendously!

Rick H. likes this.
  12. John Grimes

I forgot I have 1997 Jailhouse Rock as well, which has Love Me Tender.

13. John Grimes

Of course, I didn't even mention Gospel. All I have Is Ultimate Gospel and Amazing Grace, which Is outdated.

14. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Mr. H and John Grimes like this.
  15. John Grimes

Ultimately yes, I agree about the Sonic upgrade Of I Believe, I think though 'm still going to check out the How Great Thou Art FTD cd.

16. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

There are two more Gospel FTDs. He Touched Me, and His Hand In Mine. I recommend them both but His Hand In Mine for sure.

John Grimes likes this.
  17. John Grimes

I understand. For now though, Stand By Me, is my favorite Gospel number. So eventually, I'll have to grab them all.

PepiJean likes this.
  18. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

What a beautiful and subtil vocal performance on STAND BY ME!
    My favorite track from the "How Great Thou Art" LP is WHERE COULD I GO BUT TO THE LORD. 100% Black Gospel with EP in top form vocally.

John Grimes likes this.
  19. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I don't see you mention it...and I don't think PacificOceanBlue mentioned it either...but it looks like you need a Sun Records collection to round off your 50s masters. Your best two options are:

1. Elvis At Sun - Single disc compilation of all the officially-released masters that many people here believe is the best sounding Sun collection. It's less than $10 on CD at Amazon, so it's really a steal.
    2. A Boy From Tupelo - The three disc FTD release with 500 page book documenting the Sun years. The three discs contain every available Sun recording (as of the release date in 2012), including the surviving session tapes, plus a disc of Louisiana Hayride performances and radio appearances. The only problem is this set was limited edition and sold out very quickly. Expect to spend $250+ to find it now.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned, but once you start to tackle the 60s and 70s, give these non-FTD collections some serious consideration:

1. The Complete Comeback Special. This 4CD set contains both sit down shows, both stand up shows, the soundtrack album, and the rehearsal.
    2. Prince From Another Planet. The 1972 Madison Square Garden shows are remixed and sounding better than ever.
    3. Elvis at Stax. The best packaging (in my opinion) for the two sessions he did at Stax in 1973.
    4. Recorded Live On Stage in Memphis. The Legacy 2CD edition is probably the best presentation of this show. In my opinion, this is the last great professional Elvis live recording. As a bonus, they give you the soundboard show from Richmond a couple nights before (which was previously offered as an FTD release). This one budget priced package (about $15) negates two FTD releases that will run you about $60.

If you really wanna go crazy, there is the 8CD and 2DVD box set for That's The Way It Is. You get all six professionally-recorded August 1970 shows, the rehearsal, the official TTWII album, plus both versions of the movie. Many people (myself included) will argue that this set documents Elvis at the very peak of his performing powers. While there is a lot of repetition among the six live shows recorded, I still find each show to be interesting and entertaining. I don't regret spending the money for this one.

Mr. H likes this.
  20. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I can't argue about the Sun Sessions and the 1968 Comeback overview. This is Elvis at his very best.
    On the other hand "Elvis at Stax" is not particularly exciting: some nice recordings like I'VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY, the first take of I GOT A FEELIN' IN MY BODY and Chick Berry's PROMISED LAND. The rest is a lot of not-to-imspired-countrified-mor with touches of R&B here and there. By gathering the best 10 or 12 tracks from those sessions, you get a much more satisfying listening experience.

About the live albums selection, the MSG show was more of an event. There is energy but he's rushing all the way through. The Memphis concert is a tad more interesting as it is a better presentation of the Elvis Presley Show. To my point of view, the best concert is the one recorded in Pearl Harbour, back in March 1961. There is a wonderful unofficial release titled "Such A Night" (Memphis Recording Service) that includes a 100 pages booklet. Sonically, it's not the best but what a rocking setlist!

21. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

While I do agree that the Stax sessions are not Elvis' best work, I think there is enough good stuff here to justify this purchase. Plus, it will be more economical than collecting the three FTD sets that cover this period (Raised on Rock, Promised Land, Good Times). But that's a decision that Mr. Grimes can make once he delves into the later period recordings.

22. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I agree with you about the economical aspect (not quality wise) and there is surely a lot of outstanding material to discover (between 1954 and 1970) before starting digging into the later period.

Here is the little beauty I was talking about:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yes, yes, yes. This one does not get enough love, great performance and a hint at what might have been if Elvis continued to perform live in the early 60s. I listened to this the other day for the first time in ages and it struck me that the phrasing he used on "Hound Dog" is similar to what he would employ in 1969 when he returned to performing. "You AINT NOTHIN!"

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    PepiJean likes this.
  24. John Grimes

25. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Yeah, that's right!!
    Still closer to the 50s renditions than to the 70s throwaways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.