How Good Is A Panasonic SG-D15 Stereo Music System?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SinatraFan39, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SinatraFan39

SinatraFan39 New Member Thread Starter

I just recently got my hands on one of these and want to get started in the world of vinyl. As my username suggests, I am a huge fan of Frank Sinatra and such and that kind of music doesn't sound any better to me than it does on vinyl.

I was going to buy an Audio Technica AT-LP60 as I am on a limited budget but got concerned when I read it did not have a counterweight and that would wear my records out quicker. This one belonged to my dad, so it was free. It still works perfectly after all of these years (or at least it appears and sounds like it), I just wanted to know how good of a turntable it is and if I need to be concerned about it damaging my records. Thanks in advance for any answers. :)

2. SinatraFan39

I found the manual to this system online and have found out that the stylus pressure is 5.5g...I am worried that this is too heavy and may quickly damage my records. I am new to this though (just picked this system up today) so I do not know enough to say.

3. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

5.5g is far too much stylus pressure to safely play your records. If the turntable can't handle a cartridge that tracks with no more than about 2g of pressure, look for a different table.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  4. SinatraFan39

How can I know if it is possible or not to change it? If it is changeable, how would I go about changing it?

Thanks for the help and sorry for all of the questions.

5. SixtiesGuy

Not a problem in the least about your questions... that's how we all learn. If you can see four colorful wire leads attached to four pins on the back of the cartridge, and the cartridge is mounted to the tonearm with two screws spaced 1/2" apart, it is most likely changeable. It would look like this:
    [​IMG]

There's another mounting system for interchangeable cartridges which Panasonic developed, called the P-mount. Here's one example of how that would look:

[​IMG]

The wiring is not exposed.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  6. SinatraFan39

Okay, I have looked at it but the back of the cartridge seems to be covered? I can see wires going into the back, but cannot tell if they are colourful or not.

I did find in the manual that the cartridge is removeable. Does that mean I can replace it? I am not quite sure where I could even get a cartridge that would fit this turntable. It is very confusing to me. Haha :)

7. SinatraFan39

It is kind of a mixture of the two you showed me...if that makes any kind of sense. :laugh:

I will upload a picture later if that would help. I cannot find an image hosting service that will work from my phone's web browser. Thanks so much again for your help!

8. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I highly doubt you will be able to change the cartridge on a system like this one. The tracking force has likely been factory preset to only work with the included cartridge.

9. SinatraFan39

Would your recommendation be to look into another one? I really like this one but I do not want it to damage my records. How long would they last with this cartridge? I have played my Come Fly With Me record a few times since I have gotten the system since it is my only record and the infatuation hasn't quite worn off yet...

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

How much is your budget for a turntable + cartridge, total?

11. SixtiesGuy

That's a good point.
    Does the manual describe how to adjust the stylus pressure?
    I tried a search on this model number and it looks like the turntable is integrated into the top of the amplifier/receiver. Is that the one?
    Are there inputs and outputs in the back, or is everything wired internally?
    Do the specs indicate any more info about the cartridge?
    Are there inputs for labelled "phono" on the back of the unit?

12. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

A google search showed me this:

[​IMG]

By the looks of it, It's just a crappy ceramic cart plastic turntable. I wouldn't put my vinyl on it IMO.

PhilBiker likes this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agreed with that. Most all in ones save few are less than ideal solutions. Budget separates a finer way.

14. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Welcome to the forum. Since you are on a limited budget, I suggest enjoying whatever system you have. Life is too short to not have music on. Play the records and enjoy Frank Sinatra.

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Funny...my grandparents' cube stereo!

The turntable doesn't have any redeeming quality. You cannot install a better cartridge - it's fixed within the arm. The stereo is useful enough for background music from the tuner or an external source - don't put the speakers too close to a wall, then adjust the eq to flatten out the response a little. Theirs is still in service at their house (both now passed on - she died last month) for better sound to watch TV with. I can remember being with her when she bought it at Stern's department store/Bergen Mall, Paramus NJ in 1985.

16. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I would go with the Audio Technica AT-LP60 for now, I had one but it was branded under the "Optimus" brand.

[​IMG]

It's not ideal, and you has no tracking weight, (it tracks at 3.5 grams) but It's much better than what you've currently got and shouldn't damage your vinyl. You can always upgrade later on, as I did, I ended up getting a nice second hand Technics SL-D33.

17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

yes, how much is your budget? If very low, maybe eBay and Craigslist are your friend. I'm not really sure what price good turntables start at these days.

18. SinatraFan39

I would like to thank you all for your help. It is very much appreciated! :)

I have thought about it, and I feel better about investing that money in a quality stereo system. I have a pretty large CD collection and have been playing all of them on my old TV. The thing that got me interested in vinyl in the first place was the sound that I would be able to achieve. If I can achieve the sound I want with a quality stereo system, in my budget, I would rather do that than break the bank.

I am also very anal about things and this is no exception. I have done nothing but worry non-stop about what that turntable was doing to my vinyl since I got it. I do not think it would be any different with any turntable I would be able to get with my budget. I would constantly worry that I wasn't doing the best for my vinyl. I have also gotten close to losing it over specs of dust getting on my vinyl. Then there is the worry of accidentally scratching records and having to pay twenty more dollars to replace it with a new one. I would worry even more if it were a limited edition vinyl pressing. I just do not think it is for me. :)

I do think, however, that I will keep this turntable in my possession and occasionally spin that Sinatra record and any other record I may pick up in the future.

Thanks again for all of your help guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.