buying a new iMac

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npc145

npc145 music junkie

I recently purchased a refurbished 2012 27" iMac. I went for the 3.4Ghz Quad-core with the 1TB Fusion drive.
    Probably save over $1000 compared to what this went for new.
    Definitely consider the refurb route.

McLover likes this.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

3. npc145

npc145 music junkie

There is not much of a performance difference between the 2012 and equivalent 2014 iMacs.

4. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Don't even consider the 1.4 ghz machine and IMO at least 8gb of RAM is mandatory for running Yosemite no matter what apple says. You should always buy the most capable computer you can possibly afford for future proofing both your needs and where technology will head.... faster and faster these days.

jon9091 and npc145 like this.
  5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

One could also get the performance of a Ferrari from a Corvette but you're still driving a Corvette.

Mazzy, jon9091, npc145 and 1 other person like this.
  6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I currently have 16GB, and honestly its overkill, as I (and the the OP) don't run any virtualization. That may change for me, eventually. I plan on keeping my Late 2013 MacPro for 4+ years.

7. Yes he'd be over paying for the best and easiest operating system out there. Well worth it.

8. Oh yes there is. I've have both. Night and day.

9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I run Yosemite without issue with 2Gb of RAM.

10. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Why the **** would I pay Ferrari prices for tooling down the road to the store every day when I'd get the same performance from a Corvette for the same functionality at a lower cost with more options? Seriously, I'm just asking because it sounds like this computer is literally basic, light handed usage. There's no point in having a Mac if you're not going to do Mac-like things.

But seriously, if you like the feel of a Ferrari, go for it. There's nothing wrong with Macs. I just think they're just not justified in this case.If we were talking about Android vs Apple TABLETS, I may have a different opinion.

But back on topic, if you must spend the money on Mac, at least get the more expensive one so you'll do it right. There's no point in buying a more expensive option and then cheaping out on it.

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  11. So such thing as Mac like things. It's just simpler less complicated.

I represent commercial Photographer's and use iPads for some of the presentations. Easy simple one stop intuitive presentations. One of my artist gave me a windows tablet for his presentation. It's a mess. You have to click on five or six steps to get back to a simple portfolio where the iPod is one simple click on the screen

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I've never said anything bad about Apple iPads. I'd probably recommend one over a Windows tablet any day.

13. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

True.

14. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I don't really see where the Ferrari/Corvette conversation comes in. The OP was just asking whether it made sense to step up one level from the base level to the next one for $200. I didn't see anyone recommend he go all the way to the 5K 4.0Ghz or anything. To many of us that bump is very much worth it even if the lower one is "good enough".

As for tablets, I have an iPad and a Surface Pro3 in my bag right now. The iPad is great for quick things, but the Surface is the best tool I have used in the field yet. Most Apps I use are Windows based and while I have used Fusion for years, the Surface is much better.

15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, ZERO interest on her part. Because Windows is a pain in the butt. And she has used Mac since their beginning. Plus I would declaim that Macs are much more upgradeable in terms of OS...we're talking about replacing a still-adequate machine that is almost nine years old! As for iMac in particualr, it's all about the convenient form factor.

Anyway back to the thread, I'll encourage the faster processor.

16. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I'd go for any $200 upgrade of the type you describe for future-proofing, especially if you keep computers as long as nine years. Also helps resale value. You're basically looking for a "sweet spot" in value that isn't the base model or the top of the line. I'd do the CPU upgrade for sure. If you want to hold out, do so on the RAM if it is user upgradable.

17. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I'm considering a http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE087LL/A/refurbished-215-inch-imac-29ghz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i5 for my wife to upgrade her present (my old) 17" iMac from several years ago. I bought a 27" refurb a couple years ago (actually is a Mid 2011 model), love it. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/21 is the current list of refurbs from Apple. I think having the better graphics card is worth it, the 'fusion' HD not so much (OK, I don't know WTH that is, but as we aren't power users ...).

Edit/PS: Huh, the fusion drive looks interesting (128GB SSD + a 1TB HD in a single 'chassis' or something ... well, maybe not $200 worth of interesting ...?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  18. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Actually, the fusion drive will have a bigger impact on how fast the computer feels than the processor. And by a wide margin. Once you use and SSD based drive, you will never want to go back. The Fusion feels like an SSD most of the time.

My iMac was one of the ones that came with both an SSD and hard drive and I converted it to a Fusion some time ago.

Rick58, Galley and Master_It_Right like this.
  19. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Agree here. Put an 256GB SSD in my PC build and it's way faster than an HDD, boots up to the login screen in about 3 seconds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.