Kinks 50th Anniversary Box Set approaching with goodies....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nick Dunning, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Yeah, uni too. And any band comments are greatly received on there :)

KINKS. YES.

Has anyone played the 45 yet? I'm not with my player sadly, and I wanna know what the tracks sound like, esp. Milk Cow - isn't that pre-Kontroversy?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

You can listen to a minute from each side of the 45 on Juno.
    http://www.juno.co.uk/products/the-kinks-the-anthology-1964-1971/553557-01/

3. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

With headphones, you can hear the mellotron's mechanic on Tin soldier man... well I assume this is that, isn't it ?

FJFP likes this.
  4. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Could these two posts explain what we're hearing on some of the 'Something Else' stereo tracks (in some cases even mistaking them for different mixes)?

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-playback-with-it.320990/page-5#post-11387427
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-playback-with-it.320990/page-5#post-11387485

pablo fanques likes this.
  5. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

Without checking at all, I think this means they are the Shindig versions of the songs. Can anyone confirm this?

Shindig Milk Cow Blues

Which would make this a long delayed official release of an old Kinks bootleg (missing You Gotta Move)

[​IMG]

The Kinks You Really Got Me/Gotta Move/Milk Cow Blues
    "Cameo Records C-256"

ajsmith and NOS300B like this.
  6. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

Shindig YRGM

7. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

I'm not sure about animosity, but there were also others (including me) that were less impressed. Having been a fan of the group since the 60s and having the sound of the original vinyl engraved in my memory, the treble boost and the mild compression of the Deluxes was disappointing. By no means a complete disaster, but just so unnecessary.

8. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

The book All Day and All of the Night by Doug Hinman (page 344) confirms that The Kinks taped "Milk Cow Blues" at Twickenham on 4 Aug 65 for Shindig! It also states that "I Gotta Move" was taped on 4 Aug at Twickenham for Shindig! but not aired until 6 Jan 1966.

I'm not finding an entry for "You Really Got Me."

9. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

It's in my copy (p. 43!) The Shindig recordings are given as Wed 16th & Thurs 17th December 1964.

10. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Page 43 states that they taped "You Really Got Me" and three additional songs at Shepperton Film Studios on the dates you mention. The 45 purports to have recordings taped 14 December 1964 at Twickenham. I'm not sure what to make of all this.

11. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Has no-one played the 45 yet?

12. Timjosephuk

Good point!! I'm assuming they thought both Shindig sessions were done at Twickenham, and that the date is slightly wrong :)

13. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

mjlynott and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

The Shindig songs sound like the songs on the 45 with the audience noise removed. They look like they're performing live in those clips so they may have performed with no audience and those clips dubbed in later??

15. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I've just listened to "Tin Soldier Man" from the box for the first time and it is not the standard stereo mix but the untrimmed alternate mix as heard on the Japanese K2 CD reissue of Something Else. The mix is the same as the one on the PRT Something Else CD, but the first two notes were lopped off on that one. From Andrew Sandoval's statements in the Waterloo Sunset stereo mix thread, I am guessing that this mix was made by Ray in 1967 rather than being a 1980s remix made by PRT engineers as many Kinks kultists have long believed.

Mike D'Aversa, Dino and GetHappy!! like this.
  16. Timjosephuk

As they were recorded at film studios rather than concerts, that seems very likely.

17. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I'm in the US, so my box is still almost a month away, but I've gotten a sneak peak at the new goodies on the box on the last 24 hours. I am really impressed with the sound overall, and especially these exquisite remixes -- "Misty Water", "Village Green", "Act Nice and Gentle", "Big Black Smoke", "Days", etc. Gorgeous. I've also been so used to listening to "circulating" versions of "Til Death Us Do Part" and "Pictures in the Sand" that it was a pleasant surprise to hear them here; the latter is especially improved, with all sorts of detail I missed before.

If you look at The Anthology as the capstone of the Kinks reissue project (starting with the 3 CD VGPS in 2004), it's been a great decade to be a Kinks fan: deluxe editions of every album through Muswell Hillbillies, the "lost" Dave Davies LP, the BBC box, the mono box, etc. An embarrassment of riches.

18. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker

I played disc 1 yesterday and heard a click on "Set Me Free" at 0.02 seconds into the song. CD is pristine, timer didn't skip at all.

19. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Does the U.S. release have the 45?

20. Jack

Jack Senior Member

No.

21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

22. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I hear the same click but it sounds very faint to me. I listened to "Set Me Free" on the ugly pink and heard the same click. Thanks, now it's going to bug me every time I hear the song.

Chris Haley likes this.
  23. Timjosephuk

Confused how "Starstruck" can be a new mix. I thought only the multitracks to "Johnny Thunder" existed?

24. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

What I read is that "Johnny Thunder" is the only one that could be remixed using every stage of the recording. "Starstruck" contains bounced tracks like the remix of "Mr. Pleasant".

25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Now if they could just manage that reunion tour and album, we'd be home and dry!

pablo fanques and Dave Hoos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.