Thicker platter = better performance ??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by grooveme, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samn

samn New Member

Delrin platter? I'll check it out. Thanks.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  2. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I would also expect that a thicker platter would do a better job of dissipating noise transmitted from the bearing/spindle. At what point does the diminishing return from extra thickness becomes totally inaudible is the question. My table has a platter that is made of acrylic that is 2" thick. A higher priced model made by the same manufacturer (Basis) is much thicker, but that table is into six figures. I have heard ClearAudio tables with very thick acrylic platters that were extremely quiet--even ticks and pops on records are attenuated so well that they are hardly noticeable; whether this is even in part the result of the thick platter, I don't know, but, I do know that their high-end models are impressively quiet.

On the thick vs. normal thickness record issue, I don't think that extra thickness is necessarily better. I have a lot of regular thickness records that sound great, although I have no idea if they would have sounded even better as thick records. Some of the premium reissue labels do make thick records that sound good, but, they are also doing everything else that they can to preserve the sound coming off the tape, so it is hard to say if the extra thickness matters. I actually prefer regular thickness because the extra thickness alters the vertical tracking angle and makes the sound slightly duller sounding in my setup. Also, some of the extra thick records I've bought suffered from dish warps and other pressing problems that were probably cause by the pressing plant not properly accounting for the different pressing needs for thicker records (they need a MUCH longer pressing cycle per record).

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  3. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

4 Men With Beards use 180g. Their pressings are horrendous. It's not that they're even using bad vinyl (at least not all the time.) Granted, mastering's the most important variable here, but their reputation is dreadful.

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Why dont people use those dual layer cork mats you can get more? You have one layer for 180G records, and for standards you just add the second cork matt and bingo, no change in VTA. Is it me or am I missing something,works great for me on a RP6...

5. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Apart from the other issues, a heavy platter gives you rotational stability. The "drag" of the stylus in a heavily-modulated groove can actually slow the record down. The inertia of a heavy platter overcomes this problem.

Bolero and EasterEverywhere like this.
  6. samn

samn New Member

Wouldn't the pulley be pressured to rotate if the platter is too heavy and it might damage your motor?

7. thommo

thommo Senior Member

Only at start-up, which is why a lot of the belt drive manufacturers recommend a little shove on the platter when starting to take the initial strain off the generally smaller motors. (compared to DD motors)

Once up to constant speed, inertia becomes your friend (a reluctance to change the state of motion) so the required force drops off a lot as it only needs to maintain speed.

samn likes this.
  8. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Tim,

Many tables are specifically designed for the platter surface itself to be in intimate contact with the record (vibrational energy is transferred from the vinyl to the platter and dissipated in the platter) so an additional mat would work against the design. On my table, the plattter has grooves cut into it for the vacuum clamp system; any covering would disable the vacuum clamp.

samn likes this.
  9. samn

samn New Member

I see. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.