Barrence Whitfield (& The Savages). Any fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ReggieTheVaper, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReggieTheVaper

ReggieTheVaper Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is my first ever new thread on this great site, so I thought I would try and spread the word about this exciting fella. I had a quick search here and couldn't find any topics on the fella.

I grew up back in the late 60's and was a teenager when the UK Punk explosion occurred...when that all died away I tried to expand my musical tastes...and someone told me to check this "geezer" out.

This guy has serious energy and his music always puts a smile on my face. Alas, a lot of his material is a little Lo-Fi, but he has this sprinkling of magic around him. I never got to see him perform live..much to my regret. His Live Shows are stuff of legend as far as I am aware.

Any other fans here?

Another of his tracks can be seen here :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtOYfB84PRY

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    zphage likes this.
  2. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

I'm not a fan, just a listener.
    I can see your point - he delivers high-voltage punk-ish R&B.

3. rob macd

rob macd The sunshine bores the daylights out of me

he also works at used record store in salem ma

4. great stuff
    he's been cranking and toiling away
    since the late 70s/early 80s
    seems to have a much higher profile
    in the UK and Europe than in the US

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  5. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

That most recent album of his IS good. Welcome Reggie!

ReggieTheVaper likes this.
  6. ReggieTheVaper

ReggieTheVaper Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you kindly Sir...great to see I'm not alone in liking this chap.

7. Texas T

Texas T Well-Known Member

Have several of his albums and got to see him live one time in the early 90s. My future wife and I had been to a very stuffy formal party earlier in the evening with folks from her work but we managed to make it to a small club on Washington Avenue in Houston by about 11 pm. We then spent the next couple of hours drinking and dancing while Whitfield & the Savages tore it up with an extremely high energy show. Needless to say we were in the only couple in a tuxedo and sequined evening dress in this funky little club.

After dancing to the final encore, we turned to leave the club and all of a sudden my date could no longer walk. One minute she was dancing but when the music stopped she started sinking to the floor. I had to carry her out of the club, down the block, across the street, through a drainage ditch to my car. Thank goodness I was stronger in those days and she was a few pounds lighter. Our sons love to hear that story.

Mama, get the hammer there's flies on my baby's head!

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

He is a tremendous performer. His biggest following is in Europe and Japan where he plays sold out theaters. He even recently did a Live With Jules Holland program. Still, he lives on the North Shore of Boston and, as someone posted, works in a record store when he is home. He's a great guy, married (she's great too).

9. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

Yes, I am a longtime fan and friend of Barrence. Back in college in the 80s, Barrence and the Savages were a regular attraction at our student council "Pub Night" events. I still have a flyer that promotes "Beer & Barrence" I have seen him several times over the years. On more than one occasion when family from Ireland visited, I took them to see Barrence. After all do they really want to go to a Irish bar in Boston? When he is not recording or playing out, Barrence can be found behind the counter at The Record Exchange in Salem MA, one of the finest used record stores in the country. Once I was at Village Music in California looking for an Ahmad Jamal LP and the guy recognized mt accent and said "did you check the record exchange?" Barrence Whitfield is a Boston R&B legend. Not only is he the genuine article as a performer he is a great guy.

10. AnalogJ

And a bit of trivia - Barrence Whitfield is his stage name, but as David Bowie was born as David Jones, what is Barrence's real name?

11. Grampire

Grampire Forum Resident

"You're the first, the last, My Everything"

"Dig Yourself" was a supreme revelation in 1985.

I have:
    Barrence Whitfield and the Savages
    Dig Yourself
    Ow Ow Ow
    Live Emulsified
    Let's Loose It
    Cowboy Mambo
    Ritual of the Savages
    Dig Thy Savage Soul

12. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

That's how I found out about him and his band. I just got to chatting with him at the shop when I was in town for a weekend. Later in the conversation he mentioned his band... next thing I know I see he's on Jools Holland. Crazy.

13. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

When I worked at Maxwell's BW & The Savages played several times and I remember those nights fondly. I can't remember who was in his band, but ex-Lyres... maybe... Peter Greenberg.

Grampire likes this.
  14. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Yep Greenberg, still in the band today

Grampire likes this.
  15. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I love his live album Live Emulsified I think it's called, but it (CD) is SO low in volume/soft.

I know, I know, turn it up...but still.
    Great album though.

16. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I think he is better live than on record.

17. AnalogJ

That's pretty much how it is with most performers. Only acts such as Steely Dan and The Beatles, whose studio sorcery was so important, did their best work in the studio.

18. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I have 2 of his albums. Used to see him perform all the time in Central Square in Cambridge MA in the 80's. Great performer.

19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I have the Live Emulsified album. Good high energy raucus R & B.

Texas T likes this.
  20. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

21. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

What's the story behind that?

22. Texas T

Texas T Well-Known Member

Too many Long Island Ice Teas. But I like how they didn't kick in until the music stopped. As long as she was dancing, she was just fine.

23. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

Barrence Whitfield & The Savages
    Saturday nights show in London. Full show video.

24. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

[​IMG]

I've been a fan of Barrance since the mid '80s, and the rockabilly band that I used to play bass in got to open for him at Penn State in 1987. We all got to hang out and spin records after the show too.

Barrance is a great guy, with a wide and deep knowledge of American music. Next time you're in Salem, MA, swing by the Record Exchange (an excellent record store BTW) and say hi.

AnalogJ likes this.
  25. AnalogJ

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner!

And ditto to the sentiments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.