Can this damage an RP6 arm/bearing?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tim185, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Went to an acquaintances place tonight to check out his RP6 he is selling. I'm doing it on behalf of someone else.

I just recently got a RP6 for myself and went through the cart/arm set up all no prob. So I get to this guys place and he is setting up a weight and cart returning it to the stock cart/counterweight should I buy it. I noticed when installing the weight he carefully held the arm at the base of it,basically his hand was holding the arm at the pivot and he pushed the weight on to bout halfway,carefully. He balanced the arm by twisting it from there. All videos I have watched ,and the way I did it was to hold the arm at the finger lift, and twist the counter weight on. Small thing and I'm probably bring stupid , but can the pushing motion (though gently) of the weight onto the arm instead of twisting it on cause any sort of damage?

The table is newish and jn perfect condition otherwise and I'd like to get it for my friend. Sorry for what is probably my OCD, but I'm relatively inexperienced in turntable set up and need to be sure. Thanks.

2. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

As long as he didn't have to really ram down on it to get the counterweight to go I wouldn't imagine this would hurt anything.

3. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

As long as he took care and attention, and didn't torque anything, I can't see that it matters where you hold the arm when you attach a counterweight.

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks rafterx.

raferx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.