Budgie vinyl reissues.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadly not. I would have loved to get a signed copy, but they are only available through the band's website, which doesn't offer shipping to my country. I had to buy my copy through Juno Records (www.juno.co.uk).

2. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I have the 1974 later issue on black label with rainbow. Would that count? It does sound great, as does yours going by your you tube clip.

Hail Vinyl! likes this.
  3. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Also it looks like there's a small warp. But good to know it sounds good. Did you clean it before playing?

I have this pressing too, I like it a lot. Bought it for 3 pounds off eBay some time ago.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    motorcitydave likes this.
  4. Yes, the record is warped, but fortunately my turntable can track it just fine (well, if it can track this, it can track anything).

I cleaned it, but just superficially. Maybe some wood glue is in order.

5. motorcitydave

Nice. I do too, not having heard an original mind you. That's a great price. I paid $20 USD for my copy.

6. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

It might be the same as original, since it's only a year away from album's release, and the quantities weren't huge.

7. motorcitydave

Good point.

8. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Do the new LP's come with a CD or download card?

9. Not as far as I know (mine didn't).

10. motorcitydave

Has anyone else picked these up?

11. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Bump
    Halfway through Chris Pike's first book and really enjoying it. I still need to pick up some Budgie but current exchange rate is keeping me from ordering anything from the UK at the moment.

12. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Same with me, but also I'm worried that one copy shown here is seriously warped, and picture of Squawk reissue's label on Discogs has an arrow drawn on it in pencil, which looks like an attempt to correct an off-center pressing.

13. That's my copy (I submitted the 2014 version of "Squawk" to Discogs). I bought the first three Budgie LPs and, while they sound great, all of them are warped and off-centered to different extents.

14. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Not really what you expect for the price they ask :shake:

15. I bought them from Juno Records UK, which had slightly lower prices the last time I checked. Plus, their shipping charges are very low (for me, at least). But still, you are absolutely right.

16. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

I remember you recommended Juno earlier in this thread, and their prices are good, but still Budgie reissues are too expensive compared to Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin reissues for instance, which are mastered at world famous facilities and pressed by best pressing plants (not to say perfectly, but still). And for now I have not heard of any single well-pressed copy.
    By the way, how would you rate Juno's packaging? I consider buying some stuff from them.

17. Very good. I think the records travel very safely, and don't take very long to arrive from the UK to Colombia. I remember that the package with my copy of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" had this sticker:

[​IMG]

Although it's the only time I've seen it. Still very good packaging in my opinion. As (I think) I said before, Juno Records UK is one of my favorite sources for brand-new vinyl records. Great service and very low shipping rates (to my country, at least).

18. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Just received word from the Budgie camp that all signed copies are gone and they are low on some titles. Good for them but bad for those of us that have to wait to order them.

19. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Nice to see the interest is still there for the band.

20. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

For that kind of price, you should be getting LPs printed on high density polypropylene like what audiophile engineers patented back in the 60s as opposed to polyvinyl chloride and it's much higher propensity for noise in the quiet parts of the record.

21. inperson

inperson Senior Member

But I've gotta hand it to Akarma, all the pressings I've gotten have been flat and quiet. Whoever presses their stuff does a great job.

22. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I just ordered 'Never Turn Your Back' from Rakuten.com. $32 including shipping. I have never bought anything from the site before, it's the old Buy.com. I will report back on the buying experience and the record when it arrives.

23. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Listening to NTYBOAF right now, record is flat, spindle hole is centered. However, plan on a good cleaning before you play it. Covered in dust, paper residue and fingerprints. Even after cleaning, the backgrounds are not dead quiet. The music itself sounds good. Good bass extension, guitar and vocals sound great. I have none of the originals to compare it with.
    Rakuten.com got it to me in a weeks time. It actually came from ImportCDs.com here in the states according to the shipping label. They have the reissues for around $35.
    If you look at the used prices for the Budgie catalog on Musicstack, the prices on the reissues aren't bad. I'll be getting some more of them.

Goldy likes this.
  24. I've just found this video of an original pressing of "Never Turn Your Back On A Friend" being played:

And it's the first time I hear that "prelude" to "Breadfan". Was it really released like that originally? I've heard many versions of the album, but never an original one.

25. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

My copy has that same label and it DOES NOT have that opening. Mine is a UK 2nd pressing according to Discogs.

Hail Vinyl! likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.