Makeshift Soundproofing - blankets? etc... (attached home living)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by psychtrailmix, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seems like soundproofing a wall by way of construction of any kind is very expensive and never guaranteed to work... Have any of you had luck with hanging thick blankets on a wall? Does this work at all? I think egg cartons would look really bad.... I saw that blankets could help. Anyone have any luck with this?

2. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Blankets can help with reflection issues depending on where they're placed.

3. psychtrailmix

I've been looking into Green Glue also.... green glue with an additional layer of drywall... may be a bit more expensive, but also more effective... Any green glue users here?

4. 5meohd

5meohd New Member

The most simple thing to understand (of the extremely, infinite, complex science behind acoustics) is that different frequency bands respond to different materials DIFFERENTLY.

To do any good, you have establish what your actual problem is. That is already quite a challenge.

lots of info at gearslutz.com

Don't believe everything you read ;)

5. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

It's guaranteed to work if you build it properly. Blankets will do exactly zero for sound isolation, that I can gaurentee you! If only it were that easy :0)

6. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Soundproofing is trying to prevent sound escaping or getting in.

I guess though you are wanting to improve the sound IN your room. As 5meohd says, this is complicated stuff.

Check this site for lots of info to start with:

http://realtraps.com/articles.htm

7. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

OP is a bit confusing. I dont know if he means sound proofing, as he actually states, or acoustics in his room. Unfortunately blankets will do SFA for either. But solutions need not be complicated or expensive, they just need to done right. Thats the critical bit.

8. psychtrailmix

Yes, trying to soundproof. I'm leaning now towards green glue with a couple of layers of drywall.

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Sound will travel to the adjoining rooms via the ceiling and the floor. Your best bet is to use headphones. You cannot soundproof an already existing room in a home or apartment.

10. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Bluemooze is right, you will get whats called flanking noise. Your ceiling walls and floor are all going to be coupled together as its a standard room. Think of it has hard wired if you like.
    Green glue is very effective but its used in properly decoupled dual leaf walls. You may get some benefit, but there is no way round flanking unless your going to erect another set of walls and another ceiling. Which of course your not going to.

I dont know how up you are with this stuff, but it would be worth doing some reading. It may be worthwhile to do green glue and add mass to one side of the wall, better than nothing.....but $$ is a consideration. Just make sure before you consider anything you are aware of how your walls are constructed. The absolute worst thing you could do is to be fighting a 3 leaf wall arrangement. This is significantly worse for bass reduction than a two leaf wall, as counter intuitive as it may be.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

In the 80's my entire living room was egg carton. Every square inch (and the landord LOVED it, yep). Acoustically it helped make the room more "dead", but it did nothing as far as soundproofing goes. Soundproofing is all about sealing, just like you'd weatherproof a room for the winter.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. psychtrailmix

I understand that there's no way I can get 100% soundproofing... I"m just looking for an improvement. Based on all I've read, a couple of layers of 5/8 inch drywall with green glue will at least give me a nice improvement over what I have now.

13. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

There is a soundproofed drywall. They claim to improve sound insulation by 8x. I used it for a ceiling in my cave. Quite expensive though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.