Poll : 'L.A. Woman' album by The Doors in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opps I just realized I don't have the mono DJ promo 45 of 'Get Up And Dance' so I need to rescind my vote.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I have the recent set of six SACD's and that's it.

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I was thinking that they're a bit under-rated.

Starwanderer and Rocat like this.
  4. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I think it is by far their best record and seriously one of the best albums from that era.

Rock66 and Peter Pyle like this.
  5. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

+all bootlegs

6. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

My uncle has the 1990's CD, while I have the Perception remaster (from the box), the Perception remix (from "A Collection") and the 2012 remaster. I'd have gotten the sessions box too (rather, instead of the latest issue) if it hadn't been scrapped.

7. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

Yes this my copy too, I am assuming that the USA pressings also have the clear window treatment too ?? I assume so as UK copies all seem to have imported USA printed yellow crucifix inners

for more pictures check out another one i have on line at the mo, it could give those who don't already know a handy reference as to how at least an original UK pressing should look...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOORS-LA-...W-INNER-/121491705828?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I have the complete albums "cube" (HDCDs), An American Prayer and a few assorted live discs.

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

FYI

The 40th Anniversary LAW disc 1 is identical to the 1999 Grundman HDCD remaster.

10. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

My Doors collection is entirely the Perception peep-hole box. Had the Doors boxset, but ditched it.
    Anything else close to essential in the Live realm?

11. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

the OP isn't going to believe me either I guess

12. AdamCalifornia

AdamCalifornia Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd say that you have 'All essential music ... by The Doors', but again,

[​IMG]

what is the essential music by The Doors?

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  13. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I have all the studio albums, but no live album, so I went with essentials.

14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

OK, that's what I went with.

15. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I'm in the "L.A. Woman and some of their other music" category. Have also their first four studio albums, plus all 45's between "Break On Through" and "Wishful Sinful" plus the two singles from this LP. All Columbia pressings with Pitman fonts.

16. AdamCalifornia

AdamCalifornia Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah.

Please remember that if someone does not have this album right now,
    but due to his/her embarrassment :hide: he/she is determined to buy it pretty soon,
    then he/she should CHANGE his/her vote (after buying the album in question).

17. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I voted LA Woman and all essential Doors music as I have what's essential to me ;).

That doesn't include Soft Parade as I just don't like that record that much. All my Doors stuff is vinyl. I have originals of everything but also own the '81 MoFi of the first record as my debut album is not near mint.

My LA Woman is a white label promo with "Radio Station Copy" marked on the label (but not the jacket). Jacket is the rounded corner die cut version and has a hole punch in the upper right hand corner and also a clear transparency affixed to the jacket upper right which states "Includes the Hit Single Love Her Madly" and the catalog #. It's from Artisan stampers and has virtually no deadwax on either side. Haven't heard them all but it's the best vinyl version I've heard and I'm happy with it.

18. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Excuse me, do you own the 'L.A. Woman' album by The Doors? Yes
    Do you dig the album? Yes, particularly "Riders on the Storm" (that one's an all-time classic!)

How many copies/pressings of the album do you have now? 1 - the DCC compact disc
    How many copies/pressings of the album have you owned over the years: 2 others - the '88 and the '99 CD's

I also currently own (I recently sold off the '99 cube box):

The Doors - DCC compact disc (much better than the bass shy '88 CD I used to have)
    Strange Days - DCC compact disc (same as above, though the 2012 Doug Sax mastering is also nice)
    Waiting for the Sun - '85 W. Germany compact disc (about on par with the 80's pressed LP I once had)
    The Soft Parade - '88 U.S. compact disc (probably the best sounding of the '88 remasters)
    Morrison Hotel - '85 W. Germany target CD (easily the best sounding of the pre-remastered discs I've heard)

At one time, I had "The Best of the Doors" quad LP, but felt it was redundant once I purchased the original albums, not knowing then that it contained some different mixes, so I have been considering re-buying it. I also had "Alive, She Cried" on vinyl, but didn't like it enough to hang onto it, or to seek out other live recordings by the Doors, so I have voted:

L.A. Woman and some of their other music

I think I first heard "L.A. Woman" in its entirety during '87/'88 on a late night radio program, which is arguably the best time to listen to it. I had known the hits, but was definitely drawn in by the album's overall atmosphere, which like most of the Doors' oeuvre, remains fairly unique, particularly for a "blooze" record, and would say that it is second only to the debut. Here's how I'd currently rank 'em (if the six studio albums with Morrison alone can constitute an "essential" collection, then I may have to change my vote):

1. The Doors - one of the greatest debuts of all time; nearly equaled, but never topped
    2. L.A. Woman - eerily evocative of Southern CA seediness despite its seemingly familiar musical structures
    3. Strange Days - seems more diverse than the debut, and really almost as good; I can see why some folks prefer this one
    4. The Soft Parade - a grower for me over the years; I like the chances and experimental approach taken here
    5. Morrison Hotel - "return to form" or "retread"? Either way, it's a fine listen
    6. Waiting for the Sun - my least favorite, but not "bad" at all ("Yes, the River Knows" is particularly lovely)

Interestingly enough, for many years, I kind of let "L.A. Woman" slip in my estimation and wouldn't have ranked it so highly, perhaps due to radio overexposure, in favor of the earlier "weirder" side of the Doors (namely "Strange Days"), but my recent acquisition of the DCC compact disc has once again changed all that. This mastering, like all the DCC's I've heard, is quite simply outstanding (thank you, Steve!), and almost feels like listening to the album again for the first time, as I'm hearing things in there that the earlier discs didn't quite reveal; although apparently the new hi-rez download is pretty sweet too, I have a rather archaic aversion to non-physical media, so am not likely to seek it out anytime soon.

The bottom line is I think "L.A. Woman" is a great album that belongs in any serious rock collection. :righton:

nathanpinzon likes this.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I never did buy L.A. Woman. I have mostly early stuff.

20. FranzD

FranzD Forum Resident

I have Morrison Hotel and LA Woman. Their earlier stuff is not for me. Honest I tried - I had different copies of their first LP for 40 plus years in my collection. Sold them all some time ago.

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

* 'L.A. Woman' and some of their other music

22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I have LA Woman on cassette. Have been meaning to get the 40th anniversary for a while on physical media. I only have an MP3 of it.

23. nathanpinzon

nathanpinzon Forum Resident

The DCC compact disc. And is quite simply outstanding (thank you, Steve!)

Scope J likes this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I never bought LA Woman. I know it's a good album but I was always bugged by how drunk Morrison sounded on it. Maybe I should pick one up. Can someone remind me what the label looks like on first pressing- is it butterfly or red label E?

25. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I have the Complete Album box set, the West German pressing of "The Doors" from around 1984, the "Best of The Doors" 2 CD set and LA Woman on CD from the late 80s, as well as the recent rerelease of "Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine". LA Woman is my favorite Doors release hands down. I can play it from start to end and not skip a track.

kanakaris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.