Simon and Garfunkel - Complete Albums Collection - 12CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darling, Sep 25, 2014.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Funny that that's the one mono mix that has actually been reissued.

supermd likes this.
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Everytime there is a thread discussing this topic it is the same thing. Someone says Paul Simon doesn't like mono and someone else asks for proof he said it. This is always the qoute that comes up.

So can we put the topic to rest? Please?

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What exactly are we putting to rest?

4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I've been pleased with Anesini's mastering work in the past few years. Sure, it would be ideal to have Gray mastered SACDs from Analogue Productions, but I don't obsess about that especially after hitting <Play>. I'm not familiar with this discography as far as listening to the proper albums. Very much looking forward to receiving the box in a week or two!

Any additional opinions on the sound quality?

PROG U.K. and c-eling like this.
  5. I am also eager to hear reports on the soundtrack. That CD almost certainly has to sound better if it has truly been remastered.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

7. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

The Graduate soundtrack is MUCH improved. Sounds terrific. There is a lot of hiss on a couple of tracks but it sounds much better than my original Columbia CD.

8. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I love how the Bookends and Sounds Of Silence artwork include the Compact Disc logo and the "Digitally Mastered Analogue Recording" blurb.

c-eling likes this.
  9. setalpgninnpsekil

setalpgninnpsekil Forum Resident

It's takes just as many posts to post a link as it does to tell him to go search forum threads: one.

10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

May anyone reply? :wave:

IMHO, both would be MAJOR ISSUES regarding to the box set.
    Couldn't believe the pitch/tempo on 'Cecilia' :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, and the reversed channels on 'Sound Of Silence' (Both from "Greatest Hits")

Thank you

11. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

That's pretty cool they transferred those over, nostalgia or laziness :laugh:

rxcory likes this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Didn't the original Greatest Hits use a different (mono?) mix of Cecilia? Is this not simply the mix that was on the original LP?

13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

On my CD, it's stereo and appears to be the same mix as BOTW album :wave:

Don't know about the original Greatest Hits LP, but the BOTW singles did have a mono mix

14. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

As I had mentioned in another thread, the remastered Greatest Hits, which was part of the Playlist series, uses the mono/stereo hybrid of Cecilia. I believe Anesini must have used whatever tapes were originally used for GH, for the first time on CD.

supermd, aoxomoxoa and lukpac like this.
  15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The sample on qubuz, at least for the portion of the song they have posted, is mono.

16. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

And for the record, "Cecilia", on the original GH and The Playlist edition, is mono up until "Jubilation...", then it's stereo.

supermd and lukpac like this.
  17. aoxomoxoa

My non remastered copy of GH has the stereo version of Ceclia. I am debating should I buy this stuff again? Probably not.

18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Well, isn't the mastering going to be superior for most (all?) of the albums than any digital released before now? I suppose that's a reason.

19. aoxomoxoa

Yes that is true but I have nearly perfect original LPs too. Hard to justify this. But part of me wants it anyway.
    What's the packaging like? Could someone share pics?

20. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

This is possibly the most frustrating release for me this year. I'd love this set, but not at the current price.

In 2008, the core catalogue was reissued with the DVD of Central Park for £8. as 'The Collection' box set.

6 years later, Amazon is currently selling this new set for £60.99. Granted, it has twice as many discs, but the majority are live albums that have been available for years - live 1969 was even included with the last reissue of BOTW.

Time to start watching for price drops, I guess.

21. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I posted several photos of the set. See post #113 in this thread.

22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks Beatlestair for all the info regarding this box, appreciated!

supermd and BeatleStair like this.
  23. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat - I'm very happy with the same 5CD/1DVD set from 2008 - is that set remixes or originals?

I'd like this set for The Graduate and the Live albums, but I can't really justify it...

jl151080 likes this.
  24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Remixes except for Bookends and BOTW.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

overall sound quality of the 12 CD box?