Star Trek - The Next Generation - Episode by Episode discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

This thread should almost just deal with which episodes from Season 1 are worthy of discussion before quickly moving on to greener pastures.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  2. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Naked Now is terrible, and not just because the show is "finding its legs." It's because Trek had a serious inability to deal with sexuality and treating its characters as sensual, material beings as opposed to walking idealisms. So when they try to introduce sexuality, it plays as adolescent and embarrassing.

wayneklein and benjaminhuf like this.
  3. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

ST:TOS fired on all cylinders from the beginning. It got progressively worse.

lechiffre, JohnBeas and benjaminhuf like this.
  4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The next episode 'Code Of Honor' was not much better.

Darryl

5. It's also a badly written episode where John D.F. Black's original concept is ruined for Gene Roddenberry's decision to "explore" the sexuality of the characters.

6. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Naked Now is probably my least favorite of all the Star Trek NG episodes. When I first saw it, I wondered if that was all the new show was going to do ? Rewrite old Classic episodes. Having said that, I thought that Code of Honor was a good episode. I thought the ending had a nice - and unexpected twist to it.

7. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

The first season of Next Gen on blu-ray is now on sale at amazon for just $20. That's the lowest price ever, and less than a buck an episode. There are good episodes this season! The other seasons are available for just $32, which is also the lowest ever offered.

My ratings for S1:
    Encounter at Farpoint: C+
    The Naked Now: C-
    Code of Honor: F
    The Last Outpost: B-
    Where No One Has Gone Before: B
    Lonely Among Us: B
    Justice: C-
    The Battle: A-
    Hide and Q: B-
    Haven: B-
    The Big Goodbye: B+
    Datalore: B+
    Angel One: C-
    11001001: B+
    Too Short a Season: B
    When The Bough Breaks: B-
    Home Soil: B+
    Coming of Age: A-
    Heart of Glory: A-
    The Arsenal of Freedom: A
    Symbiosis: B
    Skin of Evil: C-
    We'll Always Have Paris: B-
    Conspiracy: A-
    The Neutral Zone: B

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Encuentro likes this.
  8. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

When I wanted to watch TNG in order as the BDs were being released, I decided for time purposes that I would skip any episodes with a rating below 7.5/10 or so on IMDb (arbitrary, I know). Needless to say, I did not see many episodes from the first series.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  9. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Understandable. I actually think, however, that any episode rated 7.0 or higher is probably worth watching at least once.

In my rating scale above, I think anything rated C+ or higher is worth watching.

10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I saw Conspiracy last night for the 1st time. Very good episode. I watched it based on a list of the 25 best TNG episodes according to this particular blogger. Conspiracy came in at #10.
    http://whatculture.com/tv/star-trek-top-25-next-generation-episodes.php

benjaminhuf likes this.
  11. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Patrick Stewart is in my opinion one of the key ingredients for the success Star Trek The Next Generation. He's not only a terrific actor, he's goot got charisma and he's a classy gentleman. I remember of one of the extras of the BDs of Star Trek TNG showing footage of a homenage to Gene Rodenberry, it was 1987 or 1988 and some of both cast members, the original and the new were present. Shatner speech was silly, Stewart's was funny, bold (he talked about Rodenberry parking his car wherever he wanted in Paramount's parking loft) yet very respectful.

drasil, *Zod* and benjaminhuf like this.
  12. EddieVanHalen

My favourite episodes of Star Trek TNG? The Best Of Both World parts 1 & 2. Great script and production and good performances by the actors. Looks terrific remastered on HD and it works better on the separate release on BD without the cut between episodes.

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I was curious as to how that would work. After Riker says "Fire" at the end of part 1, there is that dramatic end of the episode music as the episode cuts to black with the words "To Be Continued." I wonder how seamless it is on the stand alone BD.

14. EddieVanHalen

Seemless as if it was a theater movie shot in 4:3. Both script and production are good, I think it may have a higher budget than an average Star Trek TNG episode. Also, being scanned in HD and with new special effects, it gave it new life. I really enjoy these two episodes edited together, have watched the BD several times since I bought it.

Encuentro likes this.
  15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Thanks! I was considering buying it.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't have the stand alone BD, so I rolled my own when I was transcoding the normal episodes. I cut the scene right at the end of part 1 just before the 'to be continued' text appeared, made a slight audio fade to silence at the cut point, joined in part 2 (after removing the title sequence from part 2). When played back, it all looks (and sounds) like normal scene changes in a movie length episode.

Encuentro likes this.
  17. EddieVanHalen

I'm sure you will enjoy the "put together" version of The Best Of Both Worlds, edited into one episode or movie, whatever you wanna call it works well, and also, if you appreciate BDs (or DVDs) with nice artwork and outer sleeves, then you will love this one. Comes with an outer plastic protective cover, you remove it and find a cardboard sleeve with the face of Picard as Locutus, but the left side of his face can pulled (it's attached to the rest of his face by a small spot of velcro) and the you see Picard's real face, not Locutus, very well design and cool looking, and it's only 12.49$ on amazon. Buy, you won't regret. Everything on it is outstanding.

Encuentro likes this.
  18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

You sold me!

19. EddieVanHalen

I'm sure you will enjoy The Best Of Both Worlds (which I'm playing right now to recheck for the 1000000th time how well it looks and sounds) the movie and the slipcover with the face of Picard/Locutus and I forgot to say, both Picard/Locutus' face and the Star Trek The Next Generation logo The Best Of Both Worlds are embossed, which makes it look even cooler. Much more bigger and expensive set are not so well presented.s
    Picture looks terrific, with plenty of detail, you can see skin pores on faces, and not necessarely on close-ups, there is no sign of digital noise reduction as there is a layer of very fine film grain, and no edge enhacement either. They really did an outstanding job on this one. Cromas have been redone and now are hard to notice, for example when actors are in front of the bridge's screen. Special efects have been redone and they are very well done.
    Sound is DTS-HD Master Audio in 7.1 channels, it's a very enveloping track.
    My advice: buy it!!!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Encuentro likes this.
  20. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

my absolute favorite is "Family". Some of my other favorites are "Cause & Effect", "Allegiance", "The Most Toys", "Clues", "The Nth Degree", "The Game", "I Borg", "The Inner Light", "Realm of Fear", "Relics", "Ship in a Bottle" "Birthright Part 1", "Timescape" and a whole mess of the Klingon episodes

Gardo likes this.
  21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I was certainly hooked with "Encounter at Farpoint", but still recall the quizzical feeling I had about it. First off was the promos that appeared before the telecast. In that initial promo, we got our first glimpse, on TV, of the new Enterprise. I have to say I was a little dismayed that it looked so outlandish to me with it's oversized saucer and little stubby nacelles by comparison. What I was expecting was something more in line with the move Enterprises with maybe some updates. This truly looked different and probably is exactly what would happen in 80 years time. Still, it was jarring.

At premiere time, I was again shocked at this new, older, bald captain who seemed to be a sneering, crabby old man, while his second in command had the more classic William Shatner-type looks and persona. My thought throughout the first year was that this crabby captain was going to get his due and that Riker would end up in command of the ship. This would be one of those surprise developments that TV series were experimenting with in the '80s. (Rosalind Chase down an elevator shaft, anyone?)

That scenario never happened - although it came close a couple of times - and gradually I warmed to Picard. A lot of the early episodes were clunky in their dialog and acting as the series was finding its way. I liked the idea of "The Naked Now" as it attempted to serve the same function as "The Naked Time" did on TOS. It wasn't quite the classic of its earlier incarnation, but it did introduce some important character elements to the series.

"Code Of Honor" was a big step backwards, as it looked and felt like a bad episode of the original series. It remains one of the few episodes I skip when screening the series.

Harry

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

24. "Code Of Honor", which featured Denise Crosby's character Tasha Yar(rather poorly), was probably one of the reasons why she bailed on the series late in Season 1...it's a shame that she didn't stick it out for the full 7 years, given the quantum improvement in storytelling quality TNG experienced by Season 3...

25. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think Worf made a much better security officer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.