Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 03)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not due for (UK) release until near the end of this month.

2. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

great looking forward to getting it I already have the GP album but not the Gene Clark ,Poco or SHF albums hope I like those ,too.
    wonder what the cost will be when they get released in USA ? also saw this just the Byrds album with 2 bonus cuts being released Nov 10th in the U.K http://www.amazon.co.uk/Byrds/dp/B0...&ie=UTF8&qid=1415547781&sr=1-1&keywords=byrds

3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Must hear:

Bob Thiele was the producer and mastermind of Impulse Records, John Coltrane's label. He plays clarinet here (presumably just in the themes). It is also bizarre to hear Gabor Szabo imitating McGuinn! He sounds almost like Tom Verlaine.

4. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Off to see Mr McGuinn live tomorrow night. I'll report back if anyone is interested.....

AlienRendel likes this.
  5. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Yes. Give us a review of the concert.

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Wear a David Crosby mask if you're sitting close to the stage and see if he ask you up to sing on Turn Turn Turn

7. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Hep Alien and zobalob like this.
  8. the Saint

the Saint Forum Resident

Starry Eyed and Laughing recently released a rarities cd.

9. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The McGuinn gig was great. Would be nice to see him with a full band, bur I knew what to expect as I saw him back in 2011.

Some of the stories I remember:

He talked about playing the Dylan 30th concert in 1992 and, reading the telepromters, realising he had been singing some lyrics wrong over the years. He mentioned getting the lyrics wrong to 'You Ain't Going Nowhere' and Dylans playful response (also mentioned in an article here http://www.examiner.com/article/roger-mcguinn-on-bob-dylan-s-dig-you-ain-t-goin-nowhere

He talked about working with Bobby Darin and working at the Brill Building and recording this, trying to mimic the Beach Boys sound:

It was an enjoyable, intimate concert and I'm certainly glad I went.

10. kevinder

kevinder New Member

i suspect people are too busy living the life to understand their own motivations

11. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

12. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Did he talk about the Hard Rain tour at all? I recently watched the original NBC special and was surprised by the intensity of Dylan's performance. A great opening shot that pulls you right onto being on stage with those guys. Roger is occasionally glimpsed at stage rear, singing background vocals with Joan Baez.

14. Clarkophile

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Looks to be a gray-area, legal-only-in-the EU release... likely McGuinn et al are not seeing a cent from this. It is a really great show, though, well worth acquiring one way or another. I really like how they were doing Eight Miles High during this period... they stretched out and jammed, but it hadn't yet become the self-indulgent, ridiculously overlong set piece it evolved into by 1970. And I'm of the opinion Dr. Byrds is an underrated album, so a setlist drawing heavily from it is a very good thing as far as I'm concerned. You even get three tracks from Sweetheart.

D.B., Maggie and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  16. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Ah at least, someone else besides me likes Dr. Byrds! I don't just like it, I love it. It's been a fave with me since its release.

17. Clarkophile

Count me in as a Dr. Byrds fan!

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

We should form a support group. I think the criticism of the Dr. Byrds mix is overblown, and I think it's got the best batch of original songs on any of the later Byrds albums. And I really enjoy the busier style Clarence was using when he first joined the band. He seemed to tone it down a little as time went on.

19. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I'm confused - Amazon are selling illegal bootlegs??

20. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I really hated Dr Byrds when I first heard it - I actually was done with The Byrds with that one and it took me some time to pick up Easy Rider fearing the worst (which I LOVED).

I've grown to appreciate it but I do still think a remix would really improve the album. Old Blue is perfect as it is though and I love Gentle Ways. They are stand outs.

I prefer the mono mix of Bad Night - much better.

D.B. likes this.
  21. Clarkophile

Sorry for your confusion. But yes, they are.

I would imagine the first two songs are '78-era live solo performances, commonly found on MC/MC&H boots of the period. Bizarrely, the remainder comes from the Silvery Moon era, many years later (circa 1987). Those are inferior studio recordings, not live. And they are dreck. Buyer beware.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    Maggie, EasterEverywhere and crozcat like this.
  22. Clarkophile

(Apologies if I've in any way sullied the good name and sterling reputation of the entity known as "Nova Sales & Distribution (UK) Ltd.")

AlienRendel and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  23. DmitriKaramazov

STILL can't listen to this one without tearing up.

bonus likes this.
  24. DmitriKaramazov

For anyone needing a quick dose of Clarence White, here he is having a BLAST at the Byrds Royal Albert Hall concert 1971. I love how Gene calls out “Clarence” and then “Roger” before the two solos. McGuinn is no slouch either on the 12 string, but WOW Clarence is on fire on this one!

Ignatius and AlienRendel like this.
  25. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I'm right in the middle of the epic history of the Byrds Requiem For the Timeless Volume 1, reading about 1972 and 73 when the original Byrds reunion album was issued. The book recaps all the problems with that album existing at the same time McGuinn was disbanding the CBS Byrds.

Listening to the album today, the Rhino reissue that sounds pretty good, I can appreciate the music in a new way. Certainly the absence of much 12 string jingle-jangle was a huge mistake. Hillman was playing mandolin on much of the album. And Crosby was producing the album. The original Byrds never had a screaming guitar player like Clarence White. A shame he wasn't included in these recording. On the plus side Gene Clark is hot and Mike Clarke's drumming is quite good and you can actually hear his percussion.

Don't get me wrong, I like the album as it was the last try at the original line-up. And it does document a particular time and place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.