Good quality microphone XLR cable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Big Thier, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Thier

Big Thier Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alright so I'm buying a mic soon, probably a Shure SM7B. I'd like to buy a good cable for it. I've been looking at Gotham cables, anyone has anything to recommend?

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If it is wired with Mogami cable and uses Neutrik connectors, it is great quality. Markertek has great cable for you at excellent prices.

Rick58 and PhilBiker like this.
  3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Mogami balanced cables - can't go wrong there. I also recommend the service from Markertek. Shipping is perhaps a little more expensive than it could be (and I emphasise the word "little") they are fast and don't make mistakes (in my experience).

McLover likes this.
  4. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Markertek is fantastic. I'm not much of a cable "believer", but as I understand it, cable "quality" doesn't mean as much for a balanced connection like your mic compared to, say, unbalanced stereo interconnects. Just go to guitar center and get any old decent balanced cable and you're good. Nice looking mic.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I use Markertek cabling in many of my broadcast control room builds. I get what I need, assembled carefully and well, I get it fast. And it is reliable for many years of use without issues. A good investment. Much better than the average HOSA cable you often get at Guitar Center. And costs very little more. I like well assembled cable made from quality wire and quality connectors. Flimsy and cheap fails on you when most likely to embarrass you. And you can get it in any length you need to boot. Not just standard lengths.

6. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I bought Mogami balanced cables to connect up my KRK ERGO at (I think) Kal Rubinson's suggestion ... can't remember exactly, but there was an article comparing several highish end balanced interconnects, the Mogamis were right up there with the others. Being somewhat cheap, I bought those instead of the $200 or whatever ones. I'd agree, stereo IC doesn't equal vocal mic cable but Mogami is well regarded, I'd buy that over the really cheap generic mic cables one can find. After all, it's a very nice mic you're getting.

MAYBE it's best to stick with one that's specificially made for mic connection (lower voltage signals than typical line level 'patch' signals). These maybe have more attention paid to shielding? I don't know ... I see 'Pro Co' 20' cable for $25, probably OK. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/mogami-gold-stage-mic-cable-with-neutrik-xlr-connectors looks excellent if you can spend a little more ...?

I actually got http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E28Z4 for the ERGO (needed XLR to 1/4") ... sounds great to me. Maybe a little more $ than I "needed" to spend but what the heck ...

7. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I am using Gotham GAC-4/1 cables in my main system. I think they are comparable to Mogami -- very good quality at a reasonable price.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Pro Co cables are very decent cables for cheap. And well specced. If standard lengths suit you, their cable is very fine.

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. Big Thier

Yeah 20 foot is hella long though...

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I have Canare Star Quad cables that have been in heavy, "rough handled" use (remote recording) for 20 years and never failed.

Robin L likes this.
  11. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

20 feet is no problem with a balanced cable, sound quality-wise.

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. Big Thier

Yeah? I'd still think around 6 foot would be preferable in my case. I still need to build a booth...

13. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

If the connection is balanced on both ends you can go hundreds of feet (useful in studios and live sound production). OTOH, I'm sure you can find good quality shorter cables for different applications.

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Canare Star Quad cable is also among the finest available. I'd not scrimp on your microphone cable as you have a good microphone. And since your cable run will appear not to be very long.

Robin L likes this.
  15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'd go with this too. Have regularly used 100 foot runs of Starquad, excellent stuff.

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Mogami's are a great brand. Buy right, buy once.

17. Big Thier

Canare has 2 types of microphone cable:
    (L-4E6S / L-4E5C)
    (L-4E6AT / L-4E5AT)

Which one is the best?

18. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

Another vote for Mogami. First rate stuff.

19. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Star Quad Canare with Neutrik connectors

20. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=53

L-4E6S

The premier Star Quad cable for all handheld microphone applications. Flexible, satin smooth to the touch and extra strong, this standard diameter, 21 AWG cable fits perfectly in all XLR-type audio connectors. Forty separate strands in each conductor eliminate breakage due to flexing. Available in 10 beautiful matte finish color jackets.

I don't know for sure (either would probably 'work') but this one specifically says "for hand held microphone applications". Which of course also applies to mounted mic applications.

BTW, I just put a 20' cable as an example, you of course should get whatever length you need (altho 6' or 50' shouldn't make a difference performance-wise with these types of cables).

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

For your stated purpose? L-4E6S. It is the version intended for handheld microphones, most likely to survive in typical conditions. The other version of this is thiner, probably more easily damaged. The other series—L-4E6S / L-4E5AT—is intended for wall installations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.