Your Favourite Jellyfish Moments

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by willy, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga Thread Starter

Super Deluxe editions of Bellybutton and Spilt Milk are on their way. As the Fanclub box, Stack-A-Tracks and the live stuff showed, what an amazing body of work considering they only produced the two core albums, chock-full of clever tricks, musical flourishes and some of the most inspired performances in rock, pop, and retro thrift shop fashion transvestite music in all of Christendom.

So what are your favourite ‘fiddly bits’? Some might say “everything they did”…… :D
    Here are some of mine...... :wave:

'Bedspring Kiss' — Orgasmic shimmering Venetian effect… mandolins and mandolins go bossa nova with the odd sitar guitar thrown in. Now this is Exotica!

'Russian Hill' — Is this the dreamiest dream topping of a song ever… rich chocolate cake layers of amazing Mancini-in-Hawaii chords, lavish strings and slide guitars, then Hefti-esque flutes in the instrumental section. Paradise In Sound!

'Sebrina Paste and Plato' — The Monkees Go Rock! But listen to the ‘God Only Knows’ flute trills at 1:11, much more evident on the Stack-A-Track. Sumptuous psychedelic waltz coda with children's laughter.

Beatles-isms aplenty, hello to Manning’s brilliant George Harrison vocal in 'Long Time Ago' (one of several songs rejected by Ringo!) and various vocal harmony swells, notably 'All I Want Is Everything'.

The instrumental break in 'The Ghost at No.1' is more Pet Sounds than Pet Sounds.

'Ignorance Is Bliss'….. an entire album’s worth of ideas condensed into one 3:56 song.

The descending chimes and Wurlitzer-ish Supertramp-isms of 'New Mistake'.

"All the way from London... it's LINDA McCARTNEYYYYYY!!!"

The rockin’ harpsichord, glockenspiel and lovely sharply picked acoustic guitar of 'Now She Knows She’s Wrong'. There’s a 'Penny Lane' fire bell in there too!

Please feel free to mention any solo/offshoot projects also. Like an amazing musical comedy moment is when the Moog Cookbook's full length 'Hotel California' goes from 'Popcorn' to 'Runaway'...... (you'd have to hear it to see what I mean).

This is just for starters......... have fun!! :righton:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    EVOLVIST, thxdave, jon9091 and 6 others like this.
  2. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

I love Jellyfish. I have the original Charisma vinyl a friend at their label gave me. He couldn't get rid of them and knew how much I loved vinyl. I also had the pleasure of seeing them live on a few occasions, the first of which was opening for World Party. I had front row for that one and it was a fantastic show. Somewhere I have a promo single that came in a weird "jelly" pack that was filled with water and glittery stuff. I wish they would have lasted longer but cherish everything they did.

3. willy

Jellyfish and World Party on the same bill, mattydork... Dream Gig!!!!

4. Prog_Wizard

Prog_Wizard Forum Resident

What's this about super deluxe editions : O ?

5. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

"Joining a Fanclub" - the instrumental solo from 2:08 onwards, very reminiscent of Queen's "It's late"

RoryStorm, longaway, willy and 2 others like this.
  6. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

It's hard for me to narrow it down to specific moments... I'd say I get more chills listening to Spilt Milk. In retrospect it's striking how brilliant some of Andy's lyrics are on both records.

I saw them at Atlanta's Masquerade Music Park, on a bill with 5 or so other bands. What struck me that day was how clearly Andy was the best drummer AND the best singer out of any of the bands. They were just a few levels above anyone else. Amazing show.

BTW, if anyone is REALLY interested, check out this podcast. 3 hours of details, clips, discussion and interviews about Jellyfish.
    http://hollywood-gauntlet.blogspot.com/2013/04/arena-ii-still-crying-over-spilt-milk.html

7. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

There are so many---at the moment what is stuck in my head is the Harrison-esque guitar solo and angelic background vocals during the instrumental break of "New Mistake". But that's just today's fave. What a great band. Where is Andy Sturmer?!? He writes intro's for power pop books so he can't be completely disgusted with his past/old band... *sigh*

willy and blue.monk like this.
  8. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

"Joining a Fan Club" alone has so many great moments but how 'bout the cleverly crafted quote of "When You Wish Upon a Star" by the strings after the line "Shake that woody, shake it for me, St. Pinocchio".

Mooserfan and willy like this.
  9. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

Love that bit!!

10. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

The complete Spilt Milk - a classic. Plus I liked watching Andy Stuermer playing drums standing in front of the band during their Munich gig (see it on Youtube).

RoryStorm and Burning Tires like this.
  11. willy

EVOLVIST and RoryStorm like this.
  12. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

The bridge of Brighter Day.

Andy must want absolutely nothing to do with his past. The internet has created a place for Jellyfish fans to congregate, but he's nowhere to be found.

willy likes this.
  13. Prog_Wizard

As far I as I know he writes music for kids cartoons and TV shows.

14. Prog_Wizard

willy likes this.
  15. willy

Nothing new in terms of tracks afaik if you already have Fanclub but according to the wonderful SDE website: "Both releases feature expanded artwork with photos and memorabilia. Essays from Ken Sharp incorporate new interviews with Andy Sturmer, Roger Joseph Manning Jr., and Jason Falkner from Jellyfish, as well as the albums’ producers. Even better, Sturmer and Manning also provide track-by-track commentary on the original album tracks."

RoryStorm likes this.
  16. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I'll have to give this some more thought, but off the top of my head, I think everything about "New Mistake" pretty much qualifies, and even though the first time you hear it is cause for "Is my CD defective?" alarm, you have to love "All is for--"

willy likes this.
  17. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Wow !! It will be tough to top your post ! That was fantastic! Gee I will need time to think....but quickly off the top of my head....the guitar solo in New Mistake is so perfect, happy sounding, and bouncy that it brings a smile to my face every time I hear it ! The peaceful, serene feeling I get evey time I listen to Russian Hill. The adrenaline rush I get when the tempo changes between The Man I Used To Be and That Is Why. The comedy on Live At Bogarts when the Baby Come Back/ Baby's Coming Back medley is played ! Many more when I have time to think !

Burning Tires and willy like this.
  18. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

My favorite moment was meeting Jason Falkner after a 1990 Jellyfish/World Party gig at St. Andrew's Hall in Detroit and telling him that his lead singer sounded like Robin Zander of Cheap Trick and him agreeing with that and telling me that Andy Sturmer would love to hear that...

RoryStorm likes this.
  19. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Favorite Jellyfish moments... ALL OF THEM!!! :)

20. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

You got to meet Falkner ! Nice !!! Too bad they couldn't put differences aside and get the original band back together for one more great album and a few shows....why not!?

willy likes this.
  21. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Really looking forward to the January reissues since I do not have the Fanclub Box....and man, it is SO expensive over on Amazon !!!!! sheesh !!!

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Yep. He was just standing by himself at the back of the hall after Jellyfish finished and before World Party started.

RoryStorm and willy like this.
  23. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Cool moment for you !

24. onanboy

onanboy Forum Resident

The "still haven't been topped" Jellyfish. I love everything about them except the forced hippy-dippy outfits, though even that gimmick had it's moments (King Is Half Undressed video, hmm?).

Got to see them open for the Black Crowes in Denver on their first US tour. They came out and did backing vocals for the Crowes on a few songs. Chris called them "The Jellyfish".

Favorite moments - Brighter Day is perfection from beginning to end. The musicality of a Macca or Lynn and the snide lyrics of a Davies or Lennon.

I also concur about Ignorance Is Bliss. Even on an endless loop it would take me days to tire of it.

Great topic for us Jellyheads!

willy and RoryStorm like this.
  25. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I don't have time to go into detail, so I'm just going to say - damn near all of them! I so loved and miss this band. Just sheer brilliance all the way around, and some of the best power pop music EVER made.

willy and RoryStorm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.