Your last theatre movie ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

This one , and it was awesome

[​IMG]

2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

There Will Be Blood.

3. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Independence Day on its opening day years and years ago.

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

So, you declared independence, eh...?

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I just saw St. Vincent. Loved it! Very funny and very moving!

Mark Nelson likes this.
  6. John Wick, Interstellar, Nightcrawler--all three very good to exceptional and worth checking out.

Larry Mc likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Last night The Theory of Everything, the bio pic about Stephen Hawking at Chicago's AMC River East 21 near Navy Pier.

I absolutely don't understand all those people who have terrible experiences at the movies. It's been years since I've had to deal with rude people at the theater. And I'm fairly sure I frightening those particular people into never going back to that theater, and hopefully any other theater, ever again. The last time was a pair of mid-30s suburban mom types who thought the movie theater was the perfect place to catch up on their lives, and proceeded to chatter through the film. Unlucky for them, they had chosen to sit in the front row of the stadium seating, which meant that I could stand in the aisle right in front of them and tell them to shut up, that this was a movie theater, that other people wanted to hear the film instead of their inane chatter and that the Starbucks was NEXT DOOR!

They got offended and left in a huff. I got a round of applause.

Voodoo Child and Sammy Waslow like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Interstellar ' not quite a snooze fest, but close.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Maze Runner.
    Spiders good, script bad.

10. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

11. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

"Avatar", for the 3D. Prior to that, "Across the Universe", for the theater sound system. Prior to that, I don't even remember... maybe Star Wars. I don't go to many movies.

12. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

the last Hobbit movie looking forward to the newest one in a couple of weeks.

13. This is on my list along with Birdman.

14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

A "Grateful Dead Meetup" featuring an in-studio concert from a 1972 tour. A few months ago this year.
    I haven't seen a proper movie in a theater for I don't know how long. I'm very picky. I don't like CG-blow-em-up movies, superhero movies, broad common denominator comedies, vampire movies, or rom coms.
    Not much left really for me.

15. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

''Nightcrawler'' great movie, even better soundtrack.

16. Third Walt

Third Walt Forum Resident

It's been a while. It was The Grand Budapest Hotel. Too much, too overstuffed. I think if Anderson had taken a slower pace and cut out about 40% of the script (and the same amount of stunt casting) it would have been better. Beautiful to look at though.

17. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Fury, Really enjoyed it, So did my wife who isn't a war movie person

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I saw the MockingJay movie.

Not as good as the first 2 but it is more of a setup movie for Part 2.

Really shouldn't have been made into 2 separate movies.

19. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I know it was a bad movie but wasn't that reaction a little over-the-top? :D

sgb likes this.
  20. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I went to see Interstellar and Say When (aka Laggies) two weekends ago, one on Friday evening, one on Saturday morning.

21. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Well, what happened was that my wife and I had previously gone to the opening night showing of that abysmal remake of the famous "Cape Fear" movie. Adding to the torment of that movie was the behavior of the viewing audience. True, it was a weekend evening, and the audience was filled with teenagers who were there with their friends, but they were so inconsiderate that they talked almost incessantly. I vowed as we left the theater that I would NEVER go to another movie in a theater in this town. But then, years later a friend invited my wife and I to go to the Independence Day with his family on opening night. I wanted to say NO, but my wife assented before I could get my words to moving--I was trying to think of a diplomatic way of saying NO.

So, there you have it: the last TWO movies I ever saw in a theater. It's hard to say which was the poorer movie; I guess my vote would go for the DeNiro flick on that count. Despite their many reruns on TV, I've never watched either again to this very day.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

How come? I've not seen "Mockingjay" yet and I never read the books, so do you just think that there's not enough material to require 2 movies? No spoilers, please! :)

23. Chris DeVoe

I thought the book being expanded to two movies was a cash grab - before I saw the film. After I did, I was grateful they did so. The book was rushed, with parallel threads of politics and action, and mostly told from the point of view of the central character. It benefited from being opened up.

That said, the screenwriters of the movie are better writers than the novelist, Suzanne Collins, and what they added made it a better story.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thanks! Like I said, I never read the books - and likely never will - so I wasn't sure if this was an instance where they stretched the source too far in the movie adaptation.

I've never read "The Hobbit" either and will do so after I see the final movie. I think the movies closely resemble the book, right? ;)

25. Chris DeVoe

No. She was contractually obligated to deliver a third book and keep it under a certain length, which is reasonable as it was a "young adults" title.

For all the guff it is getting, most of the extra material is either from the appendices of The Lord of the Rings or Tolkiens other works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.