Kiss Catalog in Hi-Res on HDTracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chargrove, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

This may have been true 10-years ago. Today, 24 bit is the norm. Computers and software used for audio recording have no trouble dealing with it either.

No matter their personal beliefs, those guys who aren't recording in 24 bit are doing a disservice to their clients.

It's a bit like only giving your clients SD DVD's instead of HD Blu-ray.

batman144144 likes this.
  2. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

If you read my previous post I had said that most things are recorded in 24/44.1 or 24/48 nowadays

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The original Marino's are probably 5th generation or more...I don't count them at all.

PyroMessiah likes this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks. And it's nice it includes "Take It Off". I've added it to my cart. Though I wonder if it wasn't digitally recorded or if the 96/24 truly comes from analog tape. Also a shame there is no artwork reproduction other than the cover, which can be got anywhere.

I've got until the 30th to use the code I have. Hoping to hear that Dressed To Kill and The Elder have been corrected by then, but if not, I'll skip them.

5. Mij Retrac

There is nothing wrong with Dressed To Kill.

Todd W. likes this.
  6. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

5th gen? Really? I didn't realize it was that bad, but I believe that because, no matter what you think of the eq on the 97 Remasters, there is more detail and clarity in the audio. You can tell it's closer to the source.

7. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Agree completly clarity is there, it's the eq and compression i don't like about it.

sandimascharvel likes this.
  8. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

There is that noticable errant sound in the left channel after the first 2 chords of "She" that previously was definitely not there. At least not on the 87 or 97 CD's. I'm curious if it's on the original vinyl or 2014 vinyl.

I wonder if it is tape damage or maybe even something that actually was originally there but mixed out since it is hard left along with the guitar.

Listen to the PSM sample (has errant sound):
    http://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/2265

and compare to this - (Don't know the source of this one, but the sound is not on there. Just the usual reverb in-between the chords):

Thoughts anyone?

9. Mij Retrac

Yeah your right. It sounds like a digital glitch. It's on the 2014 vinyl too.

10. Mij Retrac

I got an email tonight that PSM got a fixed Mr Blackwell. I will be downloading it shortly at let you know if it's fixed.

11. Mij Retrac

Not Fixed

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I hate to tell ya...but that sound is on BOTH versions that you posted.

I just checked the 1997 remaster and it's there too.

(you are talking about what sounds like a punch in on the reverb in the right channel?)

13. Mij Retrac

It's not on the original CD

14. sandimascharvel

There is a sound in there (other than the reverb and slight noise) on the high resolution version that is actually not on the YouTube video, my West Germany original CD or my 97 remaster. It's immediately before they play the next two chords one octave up.

15. sandimascharvel

Disappointing, you are correct, I got mine as well and it is not fixed. I will send him an email tomorrow.

16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

It's on the "Mastered for iTunes" edition too. It's like a little thump in the left channel right after the first two strums.

17. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Just listened to the 24/96 HDtracks version through my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones and my conclusion is there is nothing "wrong" with She on Dressed to Kill. Doesn't sound like a digital glitch at least. If you listen carefully the sound starts in the right channel and transports over to the left. Either a slight glitch on the master tape or the player moving the fingers on the strings after hitting the first two chords. Or a punch in.

Just listened again on the 24/96 HDtracks version of Mr Blackwell too and may have to take back that the glitch isn't on there. A very slight pop at the exact beginning of the track? I mean within the first tenth of a second? I listened on the Fiio X3 portable player and it's hard to tell wether it's the track itself or the player that makes the noise exactly when the track changes.

If it's the same glitch in the 24/96 and 24/192 versions its pretty likely that the 24/96 versions sold is merely downsampled 192-files and not a separate transfer. The only way to really tell may be to compare track lengths since two transfers from an analouge source will almost never be of the same lenght. Can someone post exact length info for a couple of tracks of the 24/192 of any 70's album apart from HtH and Double Platinum?

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I finally took the plunge and purchased 2 of the Kiss Hires via Hdtracks. I have the vinyl reissues with the exception of Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley so I grabbed those. You guys are absolutely correct, the Simmons album sounds sublime! Incredible detail and clarity, just awesome. I listened to the Stanley next and it did not wow me the same way.

batman144144 likes this.
  19. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Anybode know if cd-versions are going to be released? I'm surprised i haven't seen any news regarding this.

20. sandimascharvel

Raf: A "thump" is a good way to describe that sound in She.

Veovis: Taking your lead, I isolated the channels on the high resolution and my CDs. I heard the thump on the high resolution on both sides. What's weird is that on the 87 and 97 CDs is that it's only on the right side. Since that is the side that has the lower panned volume/bleed through for the initial guitar, it isn't noticeable like it is on the high resolution where it's on the higher volume side (left) as well. Odd.

I don't think the glitch in The Elder is due to anyone's player since people are experiencing it with different playback methods. Hopefully they can figure out how to fix that one.

21. Mij Retrac

I don't get it at all on my 87 US CD.

22. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

Love Gun is already out. There is at least one more title on the way.

23. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Deluxe treatment?

24. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Yeah, the "pop" is only present in the right channel on the 97 remaster and my older German pressing. Both channels in the 24/96, and louder (and later) in the left channel. The delayed/bleedtrough guitar in the left channel is louder which may be the reason they originally only fixed the string sound (pop) in that channel. Maybe they did that on a copy of the master tape that were then used for vinyl pressings and creations of lower gen copies. And the 24/96/192 is from the truly original one without the fix?

Mysterious...:)

Is the sound there on the 2014 vinyl pressing?

25. sandimascharvel

Great news, the issue in The Elder is fixed. They sent me the below information. I greatly appreciate and am very impressed with their extremely prompt and courteous responses.

mij retrac - The last sentence is for you. I told him that someone else was having the same issue. If you contact PSM they will reload the track.

From PSM:

I hope you're enjoying the weekend.

I received a suggestion from the development team that I wanted to pass on to you to try when you have a few minutes.

Please delete the existing file of "Mr. Blackwell" currently on your hard drive or other music storage device, to ensure we start clean with the new file.

As well, please look in the _inprogress folder to see if there is anything inside. If so, please delete all contents of the _inprogress folder.

I have re-enabled track #9, and as you are probably most familiar with the process by now, once you launch the download manager the track will begin downloading.

Please listen to this new download and let us know. We're all keeping our fingers crossed.

Also, would you please have the other person having the same issue contact me so I can re-enable his track as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.