Purchased a sealed vintage UK With the Beatles LP...wanna speculate on contents?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bayen, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayen

bayen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello. While randomly searching Beatles auctions last week with no intent of purchasing (fortunately, already own all desired pressings) I stumbled upon an auction for a sealed UK "With the Beatles" LP. I automatically new it was either a 1969-70 or '71 pressing...cover photo did not have the traditional Parlophone "stereo" logo in the top right corner. I clicked on the auction and sure enough a second photo of the rear sleeve showed the tri-flip back sleeve of this era. I knew it could possibly be the last yellow and black Parlophone label from '69 but figured that it was most likely a '69 one box pressing....but could also be the earliest two box pressing from 1970...these also had tri and double flipback sleeves ....but most important all three variants would still have first press matrices. I'm aware that import LP's from this time were not sealed in the UK..so it could have been a used re-seal containing a scratched or warped record...or possibly contain an LP form another artist. I usually talk myself out of purchasing sealed LP's...to risky, but couldn't help taking a chance on this one...to curious. So, I only bid what I was willing to lose on the gamble and luckily only paid $43.00...well worth a possibly mint/unplayed 1969 pressing. Here is the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEATLES-PAR...%2B%2F14SVTGLLXEXnwls%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Anyway, LP just arrived...smells fine and unopened appears to be flat. I know the LP is worth more sealed...but I need to know! Before opening...thought it would be fun to hear what you all thought....anyone wanna guess at its contents? Gonna open in a bit....

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

British LP's were never sealed or shrink wrapped. Not sure what you're even talking about.

Peter Pyle and mc7t like this.
  3. bayen

I know...I did state this in my OP. Sealed by importer or store perhaps?

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Then it's not worth more sealed. Obviously.

Lost In The Flood and noyoucmon like this.
  5. bayen

True.....and that's good 'cause I'm gonna open it:D

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

After imported into the USA the importer (like JEM) wrapped them sometimes. After 1970..

7. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Yup. I'd have expected a sticker though, in that case.

[​IMG]

8. bayen

Just opened the LP and as I suspected and hoped..it's a factory fresh '69 "one box" pressing in a crisp and seam-split free sepia inner...should sound mighty nice!

Joshua277456 and AaronW like this.
  9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Score! That'll be a tube cut. Check the matrices. Confusing about the cover though -- I thought that they all read 'stereo' in the upper right corner.

chacha likes this.
  10. bayen

For some reason a few of my 1969/70 pressings do not have the "stereo" print. I have AHDN, PPM and Revolver w/o the "stereo" print....all 1969/70 pressings.

11. peter

peter Senior Member

You will have to look far and wide for a better UK stereo pressing. Those one boxes are something.

AaronW likes this.
  12. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

They're pretty easy to peel off, even when attached to the cover itself.

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.