Venus & Mars Deluxe McCartney Archive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Arnold Grove, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Venus and Mars - Wings

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

And they couldn't be bothered to put them in the stupid bottomless clear pages in the book?

Paul H likes this.
  3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I was going to mention that too, but I decided to limit my bitching to V & M.

4. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I've just finished reading the Venus and Mars deluxe book and it's really fully detailed.
    I wouldn't put it as a complaint...but there would be many more stories behind the albums' songs to be considered, such as Treat Her Gently/Lonely Old People. And everything can be read on McCartney In His Own Words book, that contains several interviews given to Paul Gambaccini, from 1973-75.

There are also quotes elsewhere:

"t's a joke! It's after Lonely Old People, you see. They are sitting there in the park, saying, 'Nobody asked us to play'. It's a poignant moment. Then there's a little break and then Crossroads starts up. It's lonely old people. It's just the kind of thing that lonely old people watch. It could just as easily have been Coronation Street, but we knew the chords to Crossroads. I just thought that it would be nice to do it."

theMess likes this.
  5. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

More pointless pontificating (but I'm sure someone here does the same sort of thing): There was a LOT of expectation about 'Back to the Egg' when it was imminent. From Macca too, as I remember. He was expecting another monster hit. Has anyone else noticed the similarities in title between "Back to the Egg" and "Band on the Run"? Count the letters in each word.

Yorick and Mark Wilson like this.
  6. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I do love Back To The Egg and like it much better than London Town.

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Geez I forgot about London Town. There are a few strong tracks there. I really like "Deliver Your Children".

OakBloke, Blue Cactus and Isejingu like this.
  8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Chris from Chicago, theMess and JimC like this.
  9. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I made custom slip covers for my sets using 3 mil. LP sleeves. I have a plastic bag sealing machine which heat seals the edge and removes the excess. Works great.

Will Harris and RAJ717 like this.
  10. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I think there are some people who are afraid that the superior quality of the Speed Of Sound set will overshadow the muddy Venus And Mars reissue so they purposely leave SOS off the thread titles.

11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Nothing to do with this thread really, but didn't think it was worth starting (yet) another one. Has anyone seen the magazine from the makers of Uncut, Paul McCartney The Ultimate Music Guide? Came across it in town today. Apologies if it's been out weeks and I've only just spotted it!

Anyway, nice looking mag with lots of interviews and reviews of what looks like all his albums. Haven't studied it yet, but it was a nice find today.

Costs £7.99, which I thought was a bit steep for a 132 page magazine! This is what I'd pay for a hard-back book. And I'd think twice about that!

theMess likes this.
  12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

A little bit of discussion on that already over at http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-coming-part-one.370458/page-30#post-11419246 :)

theMess and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

theMess and OobuJoobu like this.
  14. Col

Col Forum Resident

It is a great read and continues the critical re assessment of Paul- especially the Wings recordings.Each album is lengthily considered and individual tracks awarded up to five stars.New,Chaos,Ram,Tug of War,Band and Memory come out particularly well; but even Pipes of Peace and Wild Life are given positive reviews.Paul's lyrics and imaginative craft are given serious plaudits.Some deep cuts are given "classic" status like Lonely Nights,mr Bellamy,Calico Skies,so Bad,Silly Love Songs(5 stars-talk about rehabilitation!),Call me Back Again,Mumbo,3 legs and so on.

theMess likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

It does look like a good read. I paled visibly when I saw the price, but I had to have it. Got a similar sort of thing on Bowie a couple of years ago which was excellent. Read a couple of the Macca album reviews and they are very positive. Paul will get a big head if he reads this mag!

theMess and Col like this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Nothing to do with Paul. I doubt he's even mentioned in this. However, for anyone who loves the 70s this is a great mag. Plenty of interviews and single & album reviews from the likes of NME, Melody Maker and Record Mirror. It's about 10 years old, but I really enjoyed reading this and have saved it.

Sorry for cr*ppy cover scan. Blame Google!

jsayers and theMess like this.
  17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

This is absolutely great news, and it shows that the reissues are having an effect.

I am really pleased that his albums can be re-assessed without the baggage from when they were released. It also sounds like they are doing the proper thing and not just writing a whole album off because of 2 or 3 lesser tracks.

Can anyone post a photo of one of the reviews. I am interested in how the reviews are written. Are they all by the same writer?

Col likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

I thought you'd have this already! It's certainly worth it for someone with a passing interest in Paul such as yourself!:) Read a little more last night. Lots of great old articles from the likes of Melody Maker and NME.

Don't have a scanner, sadly, but I'm sure someone else will do you some. Most of the album reviews are spread over 2 pages and many different writers are used. Nick Hasted, Mark Bentley, Peter Watts, Neil Spencer, Michael Bonner and John Lewis are some of the reviewers.

I had a Bowie version of this mag a few years ago which was turned into an excellent (and cheaper) iPad app shortly after publication. I'm sure they'll do the same with this one.

theMess likes this.
  19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I've been reading the mag too (didn't realise the price till I got it home. Gulp!) Some of the contemporary reviews are hilarious. There does seem to be a mismatch between the written review of each album and the points awarded to each song but that aside, it's a really interesting read with a good balance of contemporary McCartney interviews and new reviews.

theMess likes this.
  20. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

21. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Both turned out to be very good deals, and are still in stock as I post. RAM for $20 less than I paid on release, and McCartney II $10 more than I paid. I would jump on the RAM if you don't have it.

somebodywhocares likes this.
  22. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

23. JimC

JimC Senior Member

24. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

Will Harris likes this.
  25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.