Walking Dead on AMC (Part 5)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Definitely agree the show has suffered from the revolving door of showrunners (but I've continued to enjoy it). Really interesting to wonder how it would have unfolded with Frank Darabont still at the helm.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

I liked him in Boondock Saints and other movies...and he did not have his sheepdog hair style...

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a very good question. Many unsettling things are coming out in the ongoing lawsuit between Darabont and AMC, including how much people made (or didn't make) on the AMC series.

4. Michael

do you remember the days when ppl worked for so much less and did an equal or better job...todays it's all about the money. Funny, the high paid actors don't have to pay back the network when their shows flop...

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And much higher-paid film actors don't have to reimburse the studios when their films flop. The editor of Daily Variety once did an editorial about 12-13 years ago suggesting to Eddie Murphy that since he was making $20M a film, and most of them (like Dave, Haunted Mansion, Norbert, Pluto Nash) made no money, perhaps he should a) cut his fee substantially, b) get a big percentage but a low up-front paycheck, or c) offer them a refund. None of those things happened, but you don't see Eddie working a lot these days.

6. Michael

re-read my post I never said that they have to pay anything back.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Uh... you said "Funny, the high paid actors don't have to pay back the network when their shows flop..." And I agreed with you, saying, "And much higher-paid film actors don't have to reimburse the studios when their films flop."

People in Hollywood get paid according to perception, not necessarily talent. It helps to have a few hits under your belt, but unfortunately, past performance is no guarantee of future performance... especially with movies & TV shows.

8. Michael

yes you are right! I for got to add: actors demand higher pay when a show is a success but, give no money back when it flops...

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is very true. In a lot of cases, though, I'm 100% on the actors side. A show like Big Bang Theory would be nothing without the leads, and they absolutely deserve a million bucks an episode. But in this specific case (and also with Seinfeld, Friends, and The Simpsons), the shows are making billions in syndication, so it's not that big a problem for the studio to start cutting huge checks to the actors.

JimC and Mazzy like this.
  10. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

Iirc early on, maybe late season one or in season two he sort of spurned an advance she made.

11. JimC

JimC Senior Member

As with athletes, I'm on the actors' side:

1. Probably no one held a gun to anyone's head, demanding he pay Eddie Murphy $20 million -- especially after several flops. And as you said, he's not working much now. Trial and sometimes expensive errors. (And really, there were others as much or more responsible for those weak films as Murphy.)

2. Hollywood executives seem to be doing just fine. Just like pro sports owners -- it's laughable when they cry poor after writing those checks. And there's no shortage of people waiting to buy a franchise.

12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

So who gets "Crossed" tonight? Will we get some Daryl crossbow action, or is there a traitor at the hospital? Has Beth been working for the zombies all along?

13. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I'm sorry, this season, other than the first episode, has pretty much sucked. This whole hospital storyline is awful. The preacher is a terrible actor and just annoying. So now the mid season finale will have a lot of action, some death, and a cliffhanger. Then repeat for the second half of the season. I enjoy the show but it seems to be too predictable. I was even guessing some dialogue before it was said.

14. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

For me, the show has started to become not much more than "variations on a theme" and I think it needs to have some kind of final resolution in sight, even if it's a "they all die" one. I've watched closely since day one but this season I've found myself nodding off or picking up the phone to check email - it's just not holding up much interest or any exciting plot development for me.

Mr. H and EVOLVIST like this.
  15. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I agree. I wonder if the ratings for this show will fall off a cliff at some point, but probably not since there are always new viewers. Part of me wonders if I'd like this season more if I watched it on netflix like the others. I didn't know who was a popular character, etc. and it was all a surprise to me. It doesn't feel like that anymore. And the actors do seem to be getting worse....Gabriel, Dawn, etc. I said that if someone dies next week and Beth sings to them as they are dying, I'm done. :)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  16. All of this...and a companion series will launch in 2015. So, two TWD shows running at the same time. This outing, though, the show runner will be Robert Kirkman and a whole different cast.

A bit much? Maybe. Better Call Saul!

17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm enjoying the season immensely. Loved Daryl's use of the zombie head. I'm not sure how to take the Dawn story. It's obvious that she's not evil so hopefully the finale next week won't be a bloodbath.

18. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

The show is just so much mindless noodling. Bailed last week. Best thing I ever did. Why?
    Because I don't care about what happens to any of those characters. Else why would I watch?

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I didn't think it was possible, but last night's episode may have not only been the worst one of the series but one of the worst hours of TV that I've ever seen (including the Lost finale). Good lord is anything interesting ever going to happen in this show?

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Sasha gets the dumbest ever award after this episode.

Very slow episode. The highlight to me was the Daryl close call and the yo-yo...

PHILLYQ, JimC and misterdecibel like this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

the well is running dry

mattdm11 likes this.
  22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I DVR'd this weeks and just watched it and felt like something was missing...when I checked the episode guide I realize I did miss something....did anyone else miss this part at the beginning or did my DVR screw up?? :

Daryl (Norman Reedus) returns to the church with Noah (Tyler James Williams), informing the group of Beth and Carol's whereabouts.

23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

A few weeks ago, there was a cliffhanger where Daryl returned out of the woods and told someone off camera to come out, that they were safe (or words to that effect). The implication is that must have been Noah.

24. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Yet it shouldn't because it has the comics to follow. I mean the show should be better because you can improve the story...not crush it with the hospital and Dawn.

GentleSenator likes this.
  25. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think they need to have the zombies evolve so that they are harder to stop. It's too easy for quite some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.