Streaming ≠ End of Physical Media

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Of course it's all going away eventually, just like all things must pass. Get over it, nothing lasts forever, not even physical media.

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I want my media to outlast me.

3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Sure it all lasts. You can even still buy Edison cylinder recordings, if you want them. We'll check back here in another 10 years and truly see if "it all went away". . ;)

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You'll still be able to yet things, but not exactly what you want, you'll crave the good ol' days!

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

This strikes me as an odd thing to say, as if a person wishes to be done with physical media themselves they can certainly make that choice. No need to wish it on others who like it though, right?

melstapler likes this.
  6. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

I put the needs of the planet and species above the needs of a few nostalgic old-farts.

No matter what your personal preference, physical media is objectively and empirically-speaking, waste (judging from the carbon footprint it leaves behind). I still buy it occasionally, but only because I have to; it's still the only lossless option for most music. But it's drag and takes up space.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    Hokeyboy likes this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But it's space that the old tarts on this forum like taken up with George Harrison box sets and stuff that they mostly already have. I don't think that this stuff goes I into a landfill.

I do like my record shelves with all those beautiful LPs. But I'm over it now and I've been there and done that. Time to get into high rez DLs by the millions. Embrace the future.

8. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Bah. I suppose my furniture is waste too. Or my mattress or the plates I use. If it gets used, how is it waste? Waste is the stuff I throw in my garbage.

How about all the waste from all the hardware people buy and re-buy and re-buy to keep up with the latest and greatest? My turntable has outlasted most people's phones I'd bet. And how many downloads do you think will outlast my 50 year old records?

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Space! Space to put something other than the 20 linear feet of heavy-duty shelf space to accommodate 2500 LPs. Space to put something other than massive speakers and amps and other expensive doo-dads associated with high-end audio. And as the rent gets higher, and it does, that space gets more expensive. If you can get sound that's better than your old records on something that takes up 95% less space why would you want to go back? Because the sound is better? I doubt it. It's more to do with hoarding than sound once you start talking about 20 linear feet of heavy-duty record shelving.

10. Peter Pyle

I don't have any issues with space.

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'll just assume you've given up owning a car.

Peter Pyle and Imagine70 like this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Boasting and bragging rights with that 20 feet of record wall space is considerable.

It used to look cool in the very early 80s to about 1999 with tin discs in plastic cases. Now it's obnoxious to me if it is not in it's own room. And if it is too large and not all unique items it's a waste.

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I've not found anything that sounds better than my old records. And why the concern for how someone uses the space in their own home?

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  14. Abbey Road

In terms of carbon, waste has absolutely nothing to do with what you use or don't use. You can listen to digital music that has virtually no carbon footprint just as easily as the physical counterpart and it will sound identical, so yes physical media is, by definition, waste.

Every time something is manufactured, it leaves behind a carbon footprint. These carbon footprints accumulate and have already become a huge problem for future generations. Not sure how other people's waste rationalizes your own, but whatever gets you thru the night. (Not to mention that there is no non physical substitute for "hardware," by definition.)

No one is saying people should eliminate consumption of anything that leaves a carbon footprint; but it's up to each individual how much of a scar they leave on this planet. I simply said it would be better for the planet if there were no physical media, and if you really want to challenge this, then you need to illustrate how the manufacturing of new physical media is good for the environment; anything else is a straw-man.

I'm sorry, CDs are objectively and empirically-speaking, junk. You can put whatever personal value on it you want, but you are still putting a personal value on junk.

15. Django

Django Forum Resident

CDs junk? Don't agree.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'm not "concerned" about how one uses one's personal space. I'm speaking of some of the current realities behind the increasing popularity of streaming. You've got room for oodles of media, groovy. But the cost of housing goes up and as that goes up, the room for "stuff"—any stuff—goes down.

17. Peter Pyle

You crack me up. What are you typing on...a phone? A computer desktop? Doesn't that leave a carbon footprint or is it made out of lettuce? :D:D:D:D Have fun with your trees and grass and I'll enjoy my CD's and records.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Think of it as an exoskeleton.

19. Abbey Road

Reading comprehension issues? Or is it something else? Maybe you care more about CDs than the future of your own children, feel bad about it, and are therefore seeking nonsensical and irrelevant rationalizations. I don't know.

Again, all I've said is that the manufacturing of physical media is a waste in terms of carbon footprint, and therefore the planet will eventually be better off without this unneeded manufacturing. Are you making a case for the planet being better off with the manufacturing of CDs, or simply hoisting a strawman? I don't know why folks are getting so defensive over a pretty obvious fact.

Roll around in your waste all you want; it doesn't really bother me. Like I said, I buy CDs, but only because it's the only way to get what I want still. I personally would rather buy non-physical; it's more convenient and better for the planet.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  20. Peter Pyle

You are aware the Mr. Hoffman makes his living mastering CD's and records? So are we saying that the end result of his work is junk?

But please...continue. I find this all very fascinating.

jeatleboe likes this.
  21. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

How many smartphones will last as long as my 53 year old Thorens and 43 year old Dual turntables.These tables will be around forever,just like Edison and Victor phonographs from the 1900s and 1910s.

Slick Willie and Peter Pyle like this.
  22. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I think it does.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

A lot of people are "bothered" in this thread, some posts are borderline trolling.

Let's play nice, folks. :)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  24. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Oh.

25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

This thread seems to be breaking into two distinct camps, no quarter kind of thingy....time to unwatch. Ya'll have a nice day!:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.