Streaming ≠ End of Physical Media

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Bono, is that you? :D

2. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

Um, music will need to be produced and mastered regardless of the delivery system. "Records" is short for recordings, and no one is speaking against recordings. Just wasteful delivery systems. And again, I am not begrudging anyone who still likes waste. For the third time, I'm simply saying that once the need for physical media ends, the planet will be slightly better off. Manufacturing produces waste; it's just common sense.

3. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Streaming is so 1997! Anybody remember Real Player? :winkgrin:

EasterEverywhere and melstapler like this.
  4. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Last I checked our esteemed host relies on physical media for his delivery system. So no, I don't consider the delivery system for his work to be "junk" or "waste", bud. Certainly not more than the phone or computer you're using to post. It's just common sense.

melstapler likes this.
  5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:laugh:

Funny, for us it's time to watch. :D

Six String and Slick Willie like this.
  6. I hate streaming. The sound quality is awful IMO, the audio quality could depend on where you are and how fast the connection speed is, it can cut out if you loose signal. I like to own my music, whether it be CDs or digital files on my PC. At least then I can take them wherever I go and they will be reliable, plus I'll know what bit size and sample rate I'm listening in or how much compression I'm using if it's a lossy format.

Imagine streaming music on a plane. :hide:

Heart of Gold likes this.
  7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

You should read up on the environmental impact of server farms.

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It's the record company who makes that decision. If any record company decided to go "digital only" Steve's work and any other mastering engineers work would be released digitally.

9. Abbey Road

Actually, I bought three new discs today, so I can assure you that it doesn't.

10. Abbey Road

If anything, digital delivery creates new avenues of revenue for "Mr. Hoffman," given the demand for HD audio which surpasses that specs of most physical formats.

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

"Mr. Hoffman" does not release music. The record companies do. "Mr. Hoffman" masters music for the record companies. The format that the record companies release is determined by the record companies.

Why is that so hard to understand?

melstapler, nbakid2000 and Abbey Road like this.
  12. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

13. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

And before you, people said, "my older car works just fine...gets me where I need to go, runs well and even has a CASSETTE player," with the implication...Who needs a CD player?

And before that, people said, "my older car works just fine...gets me where I need to go, runs well and even has a RADIO," with the implication...Who needs a cassette player.

And before that, people said, "my older car works just fine...gets me where I need to go, runs well," with the implication... Who needs a radio.

But most people like all of these advancements. Just because you don't doesn't mean that the majority shouldn't enjoy these things now that they're available.

14. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

The issue with streaming is providing an inferior product on inferior playback system

When that influences mastering of media (ie the Loudness Wars. Etc)
    Then it is a problem

When releases are held back or only on mp3 then we have a problem

It is nice that cds have gotten much less expensive
    As well as blu rays (6 months after release)

It is sad that the majority of the population has no idea what quality sound reproduction id

melstapler likes this.
  15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

During those halcyon daze of yore, when Beatles ruled the earth, most people were listening to music on AM radio. That inferior playback system influenced the mastering of all those vaunted, Forum approved, "Golden Age" titles. Big time.

ARK, Billy Infinity and nbakid2000 like this.
  16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

For some of us, the "halcyon daze of yore" included the 70's, when most people had moved beyond AM radio. Lots of great-sounding FM stations and everyone I knew wanted a better stereo. I'm not saying that what's past was paradise, but it wasn't all just AM radio and portable mono record players.

EasterEverywhere and jon9091 like this.
  17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I haven't been buying CD's...or "junk" as you call them. I buy records. And the vast majority of them are used.

But you didn't respond about your car. Are you driving one? Those are manufactured, yes?

18. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Thats real nice

Analog product on a lacking playback system

We should dumb down what is available now

Today there is superior technology at modest prices and it isn't catching on with the general populous

19. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Would it be churlish of me to point out that the word is "piques?"

20. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Nope. He's on hospital right now, pretty busy right now, broken arm and hand, you know, no time for posting at this forum...

21. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

Again, I can stream in lossless on 5K system if I wanted to.

22. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

You spoke of this utopian world where physical product can coexist with downloads and streaming. The fact is, The Bangles rarities compilation we spoke of has not been released as physical product, only as download. Where is the coexistence in that?

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Streaming music is not a viable option for the artist. Therefore I will vote to support the artist. It's a slippery slope when you start pointing fingers at who is abusing what. We are all complicit in destroying the earth, some more than others. Bringing up this kind of discussion on a forum hosted by someone in the music industry might not be appropriate. You are likely to get this discussion locked and your issue is not really the crux of this discussion anyway.

melstapler likes this.
  24. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

I'm not sure, but in your case, I'd download the Bangles and buy something else physically available.

In the Bangles case, I am sure that they looked at the market and could not justify the cost to physically produce it. Therefore, suck it up and deal with it OR ignore it completely and purchase something else.

Keep in mind, if you DON'T download it, you're refusing to support the artist as well.

EasterEverywhere, ARK and Abbey Road like this.
  25. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

When I go, I want my remains made into vinyl records for all my friends.
    Surely a world where there's less Bangles is a better one?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Anyway, look, those of you clinging to your CDs and even records are really just putting fingers in the dam here. Sooner or later the stream will become a flood.

Everything will go through the air one day. They are already talking about wireless charging and electricity transmission, after all. Best start hoarding those gorgeous plastic plugs, physical fanboys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.