Cartridge/stylus "break in" period: Myth or fact?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Licorice pizza, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line Thread Starter

I recently bought the Ortofon Concorde Pro S; which is pretty much the low end of the dj stylii. I've always heard about letting the stylus break in, but figured it was more of a myth among audio experts.

So out of the box it sounded decent, lots of details and deep bass. Great but nothing spectacular.

However, last night when I played my old copy of Fleetwood Mac (the one before Rumours) it was like that needle went wild. I could hear things I've never heard before, the minutest details and nuances and it was a full fledged eargasm! Nothing like when I first dropped it on vinyl several weeks ago.

So, I'm finally convinced about this "break in" period everyone talks about.

Any thoughts on this matter? Similar stories?

Heckto35 and 2xUeL like this.
  2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I believe that things that move truly have a break-in as do tubes, solid state stuff, well.....

jupiterboy likes this.
  3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

There is a good reason that the cartridge improves - suspension starts to relax and it all starts working better.

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

For sure. It's a mechanical device. Just like buying new shoes or boots. They feel better after a week or so.

5. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

No way to prove it, but I've always suspected it's 20% cartridge break-in and 80% ear accustomization

6. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Way.

7. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

How?

8. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

As its mechanical I "suspect" its more fact than myth.. Theres always a lot of caveats in this sort of thing - for all we know your ears were better and the air pressure better suited the room that day etc etc etc ad infinitum- but in general I would agree that a mechanical moving part does need a running in period.

2xUeL and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  9. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

When there is a will ...

10. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It's my belief that it's not the stylus than breaks in, as others note it's the cartridge suspension which does seem to have a break-in period. Sonic changes resulting from that differ from cart to cart -- from pretty much inaudible to clearly discernible -- I guess depending on the nature of the cart's suspension construction and material. In my experience you also have to re-adjust tracking force and check VTA after the break-in period. Speakers have the same kind of thing -- depending on the nature of the cones and their surrounds, many speakers will sound different after a break in period.

Licorice pizza and VinylRob like this.
  11. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Physical things change with movement and the introduction of electrical current. I have read posts by Jonathan Carr phono cartridge designer of Lyra who has spoken of design considerations for such effects and many other aspects.

You could only do yourself favor to search out interviews and posts made from this gifted designer and read deeply his very open and insightful ideas and experience.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  12. Metralla

Agreed. Jonathan Carr is well worth reading. A very talented and interesting fellow.

I remember seeing a photo of him sitting down, polishing the pins on a power cord with Flitz polish. I figured if it;s good enough for Jonathan, it's good enough for me - I do it once a year. ;)

VinylRob likes this.
  13. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

polishing pins on power cords??!!
    Oh my sides! Just when you think.....anyway...you dont really do it, do you?

Dansk and Bolero like this.
  14. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

Well, that settles it for me!

15. Metralla

I confess I have done it several times. A fair bit of gunk comes off and they end up nice and shiny, and I clean off any possible residue with some pure alcohol.

Heckto35 likes this.
  16. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

17. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Fact

Prophetzong likes this.
  18. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Fact

Prophetzong likes this.
  19. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Fact. 20-30 hours will usually be about right for the suspension to work enough to be optimum. I really noticed it with a Denon DL-110. An AT440mLa also...about 50 LPs/35 hours.

I don't remember hearing the difference as distinctly with cartridges back in the late '60s and early '70s, Shure M44 and such, maybe due to lower compliance.

Prophetzong and SibilanceSegs like this.
  20. Pretty easy to test, do a needle drop when a cart is new and then after it has a certain amount of hours on it.

vivalapsych and TLMusic like this.
  21. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

:thumbsup:

And, something that is really striking--do a needledrop just before the stylus on the cartridge has reached its end of life. The sound gets harsh, the top end goes away, and vocal "S" sounds get distorted.

BuddhaBob and Shawn like this.
  22. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

My belief is that it's your ears getting broken in, not the equipment.

dconsmack likes this.
  23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Sure, why not? I clean all of my connections about every six months. Can't hurt.

John K.

24. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

25. samn

samn New Member

I believe so...not just carts but also cdp, amp, loudspeakers, etc. First time listening...it is always the anxiousness and urgency to listen to it soonest possible...hardly 1st impression is the worst other than improvements. The real deal comes after few days and weeks when the ears start to get accustomed to the new sound...some may find great and some may find disappointment.

BurgerKing likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.