The Best Era Ever for New Music is... Right Now.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I'd agree that for new music, the newest music is being released now.

elgreco likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that is most def a smelly number!

3. Michael

or chain...

Peter Pyle likes this.
  4. Michael

CDs will be around forever! there were millions produced...the more ppl fall for the mass physical exit we'll be swimming in the metal rainbow for many years to come.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  5. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

The OP makes some good points but I just don't see the results happening. Rock music from the last 10-15 years has been quite mediocre to my ears- almost as bad as the 80's. I'll take 1968-73 and 1990-96 any day.

Vinyl_Blues and The Good Guy like this.
  6. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

You hateful hating hater you.

:)

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If I find the link, with supporting data, will you accept it?

All these people insisting "No, I'm not an old fart! It's not that I stopped being interested in new music at the same age all of my peers stopped being interested in new music! Not me, I'm different! It must be that new music sucks!"

nbakid2000 likes this.
  8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't really buy this. I took a huge left turn into jazz right around age 27, and stopped listening to the music of my childhood and adolescence for several years. Even today, in addition to the new music I like, I also continue to get into music from before the era of my childhood taste, or, more broadly, from before me, period. I was listening to Frank Sinatra last night, which teenage me would have laughed at.

ibanez_ax likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

There will doubtless be anomalies on a music discussion forum. The study wasn't about you, specifically. Or me.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  10. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Or to quote Ziggy Marley, "If you don't know your past you don't know your future..." ;)

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  11. Darby

Darby Forum Resident

What have you been smoking? Are you drunk?

12. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

You know to all who are somewhat stuck on just the older stuff you should try searches of bands and they key words "inspired by" or "influenced by" and you will sometimes find a new artist who's right up your alley.
    Sometimes that doesn't work as I have always enjoyed Faith No More through the years but admit many of the bands they influenced like Limp Bizkit I really can't get into.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

If most of my music collection is duplicates across various formats and if I only spend my money rebuying the same albums over and over again I may not feel like I'm missing anything but I'd really be missing out on a lot. How can someone say with a straight face that this is a good thing and that they're proud for doing that? I would hate to think and be embarrassed for others to think that my music buying habits mostly consist of rebuying the same albums I already own over and over and over and over again. How limited must my taste be for most of my music purchases to be duplicates?

Licorice pizza and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Exactly! Or Pandora, or Spotify - heck, even though it's considered dead these days, we discovered quite a few bands via Myspace.

I'm lucky that I work with young musicians via the School of Rock. These kids listen to and play older music as well as newer, in a wide range of genres, during their musically formative years.

ibanez_ax and Remington Steele like this.
  15. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

There are new bands playing the blues, jazz, and rock then I'm all for it and always give them a listen when I come up on something that catches my ear....

but todays Pop and hip hop, ugh, sounds like nails on a chalk board to me....

16. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

The amount of matter of fact negativity and close-minded blanket statement makers on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

ibanez_ax and crispi like this.
  17. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

this is the kind of quote you get when people disagree ...

18. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

I agree...in the words of the great Gogol Bordello "There were never any good old days/They are today, they are tomorrow/It's a stupid thing we say/Cursing tomorrow with sorrow.".....I'm 46 and I find at least thirty great new records every year. I hope I never stop. To the OP check out Parquet Courts. They are the smartest indie band working today with two great albums in 2014.

Kevin j, Abbey Road and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Plenty! I've mentioned them plenty, but good friends of mine are playing 1920s style Country Blues, and are drawing audiences, gigging all over the world, playing more than 250 dates a year. They are taking their inspiration from music all through the 20th century.

Yeah, the people who booed Dylan when he went electric said the same thing.

20. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Sorry but there is a huge difference between a normal disagreement and making rediculous negative blanket statements.

21. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

Do you use that same logic as to 'positive blanket statements' about any new music on this forum?

22. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

Okay, I listened to Parquet Courts -- a few things on Youtube. Derivative punky sound -- really nothing new or fresh. This is the way it usually goes here -- someone exudes about something new -- you check it out and it's the same ole. (I guess if someone doesn't have a frame of reference, a lot of this 'new' stuff might sound new.)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  23. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

LOLOLOL...five minutes of youtube isn't going to cut it. You need to immerse. They sound "derivative" to a certain extent but they are smart with serious chops. Play any one of their albums five or six times and then talk to me. They are great live too...so I guess we'll agree to disagree and call it that.

24. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

That's a standard I've never heard recommended about any kind of music. Really?

Peter Pyle likes this.
  25. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

It's easy. How can you make an informed opinion about anything without getting to know it. My criteria is to spin a new album I've grokked onto at least five times. If nothing sticks at that point then it isn't for me. How can you know if you will like something in less than five minutes from youtube?

tim185 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.