How do you give the gift of music to kids today?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David G., Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David G.

David G. Forum Resident Thread Starter

As Christmas approaches, I'm having a dilemma. I've always given music of some sort to my nieces and nephews for Christmas. 15 years ago, with my older niece and nephew, I was giving CDs. I'd pick out stuff that I either knew they'd like or I thought they NEEDED to like. Over the last few years, I've given all of my nieces and nephews music downloads of albums, using iTunes or Amazon. They all have smartphones or iPods/iPads, so downloaded stuff is easy for them to play.

Now, however, I ask them if there's anything specific they want -- because all I wanted was records when I was their age -- and they say they don't want anything, because they only use Spotify or Rhapsody.

So, aside from simply paying for their subscriptions to these streaming services, is there any way to give the gift of music in this age of streaming media? I don't have the means to set them each up with an old-fashioned stereo system, complete with turntable and CD player, and they already have bluetooth-ready speakers and headphones.

Any ideas? Do I need to go in a completely new direction with gifts? I hate giving gift cards, because I like gifts that have thought and purpose behind them, but I'm at a total loss...

2. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

An instrument.

drasil, Sordel, goodiesguy and 19 others like this.
  3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

This is the time of year when the death of physical media seems especially sad. Movies, CD's made great gifts for young ones. Now they look at you like you bought them socks.

4. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

CDs or a musical instrument
    iTunes are not my thing

5. chuck rodgers

chuck rodgers Forum Resident

I like to give them an I-pod and $50 gift certificate. They can build a little music collection and start enjoying tunes. I have been know to add a couple of my favorite songs ahead of time. When my son was young I got him a little receiver and a cd player for his room.He had access to our cd's and today he has a very broad love of music. Too be honest he may be better versed than I am.

6. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident

A good sounding bluetooth speaker to connect to their phone.

drasil and Naughty Chord like this.
  7. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Just share with them. I introduced all three of mine to the music I loved- some they liked, some they didn't but it broadened their exposure to different fields. My middle one shares my Beatles enthusiasm; my eldest picked up on the punk stuff; my youngest, like me, likes a massive range of stuff- I used to love listening to what was coming out of his bedroom, there'd be techno and thrash and then suddenly the White Album! Right now he loves prewar Delta blues, which I introduced him to......

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Get them vinyl.
    If their interested 'they'll buy their own hi-fi gear.
    Or' PS4 game ( equivalent ).

Satchidananda likes this.
  9. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Take them to a live concert.

10. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

What kind of music do they like?

I think a box set is a great idea not only for fans of the artist/music who want everything but as a great gift as well for the fan that doesn't have everything by said artist. And also, with box sets, most of them have pretty cool extras and artwork and booklets to go along with them.

11. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

How about a Blu-ray disc? Could be a concert, a documentary or a music related movie.

12. David G.

David G. Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm getting the feeling that most people don't "get" my question. CDs, DVDs, vinyl -- these are what I used to give them. They don't get played. I'd like to give them something they'll actually use. They already have bluetooth speakers. Instruments are too expensive for me (I have a lot of nieces and nephews), plus I'm looking for ideas that I can turn into traditions -- something Uncle David gives them every year.

I guess I should add that I don't live in the same city as most of them, and I am unable to visit more than once or twice a year. I don't have the luxury of spending time introducing them to music or taking them to concerts.

Please, no more suggestions of box sets, blu-rays, vinyl, CDs, etc. No gift certificates. You know, what I said in my original posting.

13. Chev

Chev Forum Resident

They have access to an overwhelming range of music. Cost isn't the barrier. Knowledge is. They need a roadmap.

How about writing 'liner notes' for a playlist that you or they create on whatever streaming platform they use. Pick a pithy theme: best of 2014, stuff from the year of their birth, a short history of everything, stuff your mum and dad hate but you might love, classic tracks from <insert genre that you are passionate about and think they might like>, whatever.

Then take time to explain each track, what you like about it, where it came from, what they might also like if they like this.

Don't expect them to love what you love or to give prompt feedback. They will be processing a huge range of other inputs and suggestions too. But unless you're way off the mark some stuff will stick. Then you can take it from there.

drasil, goodiesguy, lschwart and 4 others like this.
  14. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

A Ticketmaster gift card.

Actually, I'd give up on the music thing. It sounds like the only viable option you don't want to do.

Unless they're music geeks and you have exactly what they like pinned down, it's too hard.

15. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I thought the same thing. If they say they don't want anything in the way of music, there's really no point in pushing on in that direction. Music isn't the be-all and end-all as far as gifts are concerned, especially with kids. But if you do decide on something, it'd better be something "physical".

Oliver likes this.
  16. How about a book on music? Wall art? My avatar is an image of a Rhonda Watson print I bought on allposters.com.

17. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Except socks are useful

Naughty Chord and delmonaco like this.
  18. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Well, I know a good Jazzman guitar (for beginners) is roughly $119.00 bucks. Is that too expensive? I don't know your budget so I apologize if that's not what you want to spend. But that's a really good guitar for a beginner's price.

Also, how about paying for 2 months worth of music lessons for one or two of your kin. They usually run about 10 to 15 bucks an hour and that way you may hear them play you some music down the line.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  19. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    GroovinGarrett likes this.
  20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Give them something other than music. That was easy. You say you want to give them "music". What you are really saying is that you want to give them music in a wrapped box under a tree. That ship has sailed.

Oliver likes this.
  21. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

And gift them earplugs :)

Tjazz, Naughty Chord and Murph like this.
  22. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I don't think there's a way to do it anymore other that writing them a nice letter with recommendations of stuff that they should listen to on their streamng service. Tickets to a show are nice gift if they live in an area with concerts.

I remember a few years ago my mom and dad gave my nephew the Bon Iver CD, which was something he wanted (grew up in Eau Claire, WI where Bon Iver was from). He was happy to get it, but I thought to myself, "That's the last compact disc I'll ever see wrapped at Christmas."

23. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I guess you give them an invisible cloud or something today.

Luckily, I have one young nephew who realizes the excitement of collecting physical media and has records, so I can always light up his face at Christmas by wrapping a new album and giving him a real present! :)

Shak Cohen and Peter Pyle like this.
  24. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Yeah, the world is indeed over.
    Maybe we can just stream them a "Merry Christmas" (I mean, if we're allowed to even use that C word anymore...)

25. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

How about a subscription to Classic Rock magazine?

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.