Finally - The Stand

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Humbuster, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

NOW. Back then he was an unknown. He was way too brutish and jokey to be the "thin and stern-faced" Flagg. And they cast a BLONDE as the "the Dark Man?" I remember watching that series and waiting to see Flagg and then thinking: "wha? That's supposed to be Flagg? Was Rowdy Roddy Piper booked up?" At least their on the right track with McConaughey.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    Scott222C likes this.
  2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

That version of the Stand will be hard to top. So many B list and TV stars from comedy and soaps, often playing brilliantly against their sit com type. OK so Tom was obvious(still perfect. Laws yes!), and Nadine was brilliant. Ray Walston with a performance of real power, and Gary Sinise was as usual outstanding(pre Mac Taylor). Miguel Ferrer was equally memorable as the serial killer Poke/Lloyd.

Fun fact: Not only did Stephen King make an appearance in The Stand, so did Sam Raimi and John Landis.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I agree. As a very HUMAN story, which the Stand is and which all King books are, the tv version was pretty well told. The cast was all very good, except Harold was pretty weak. He was kind of "Tales from the Crypt" cartoonish.

SandAndGlass and musicalbeds like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dated, si?

5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Actually I always thought he escaped from Creepshow.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That's right. Creepshow, was what I was thinking of.

7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Considering that it was on network TV 20 years ago, I think they did a decent job. I'd rather see a new version as a series on HBO and maybe do the entire thing in two seasons of 10 episodes.

Four movies is a tough commitment and if the first one is a failure, the rest may not be made.

8. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Now, if they could only do "IT" properly. Tim Curry was awesome as Pennywise, but outside him, the mini series was 'meh' at best...

9. I could see Mathew do the role easily however I don't want to see this broken it no more than 1 or 2 films. This ain't Lord of The Rings.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. The Hobbit should have been one film

Ghostworld and Vidiot like this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yeah, I would have preferred a well done miniseries of The Stand (as opposed to the original 1993 miniseries, which watered down the story way too much) over, say, Under The Dome. I didn't like the Dome novel, but my wife and I watch the damned series while thinking "Why are we still watching this?":laugh:

The Stand is an 1100 page Stephen King novel that really needs to be able to breathe (so four full length films kinda makes sense)...unlike Under The Dome or IT where they really could have stood to lose a few hundred pages. Funnily enough, though, it was seeing the IT miniseries when it first aired that got me into Stephen King in the first place.

They coulda done a lot worse than McConaghey for playing Randy Flagg...wonder who the rest of the cast will be?

Tristero likes this.
  12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The Stand is longer than all three LOTR novels put together.

Scott222C likes this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Original or Uncut?

14. I realize that but the story itself could easily be told in two movies.

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Uncut.... 1,152 pages.

16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

See post #29. If a 6-hour miniseries couldn't do it, how would you expect a pair of 2-3 hour films to?

17. Daniel Plainview

How does any book get condensed into a film? They have someone adapt it for the screen. Any screenwriter worth his salt could hone this into something more manageable. 4 films is ridiculously excessive.

18. Did that include an hour of commercials ?

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Nope, the entire miniseries itself is 6 hours.... no idea how long it would've been when it was originally broadcast with commercial breaks.

20. chrischerm

I liked the uncut book better, even though it was longer. It filled in a lot of items and also left Flagg available for the Dark Tower series. I always thought The Stand had many tennants of "The Earth Abides."

The Stand is 3 parts: Captain Trips / On The Border / The Stand, so I could envision a trilogy, but 4 movies is a bit of a stretch.

wayneklein and dkmonroe like this.
  21. There's a lot of filler IMHO in the novel and even in the mini-series that cold be cut to improve it. I felt the original and uncut novels were too long when I read them (back when they were originally released). The original cut version was around 800 pages as I recall and I think at least 100 could easily be cut.

It's all about how you adapt it.

Hawklord and dkmonroe like this.
  22. chrischerm

Exactly!

23. Daniel Plainview

"The Stand III: Unplugging Household Appliances"

24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The real "Stand" could happen by time the third movie comes out.
    With B.S thats going in the world.

25. Nah, no way a song called "Baby Can You Dig YourMan?" Be one a hit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.