Have Any Pono Backers Received The Email Their Player Has Shipped?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tomd, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Is there no means to connect it to, say, an amp with a USB input?

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Because it might sound better. Because it has a good DAC in it.

Nielsoe likes this.
  3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Sure, it might. Good luck!

SirAngus likes this.
  4. Gabe Walters

Why does every thread about Pono have to turn so caustic and hostile on this board? It's ridiculous. No wonder there are so few reviews posted here. Why would anyone want to share their thoughts, knowing they'd be harangued by the anti-Pono crowd?

Guys, if you're not interested--don't buy it. If you think it's not fully featured, and that's why you're not interested--it suffices to say that once.

Dino, AZRunner, pablorkcz and 6 others like this.
  5. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

OK, then - don't have good luck!

6. Gabe Walters

I haven't bought one. I'm trying to find reviews in threads that ostensibly are dedicated to that subject.

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Well, good/bad luck!

8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I'm a vinyl freak so I'll not be buying one, but I'm very interested in all things hifi and music. I'm eagerly awaiting a review from one of the serious hifi mags like Hifi World or the like. A review from someone who doesn't knock it just because it looks like a famous chocolate bar or because they are pissed off for having to wait for their player to arrive.

Brother_Rael and Gabe Walters like this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Or because it doesn't do something it never promised to do, like wifi streaming or Bluetooth or . . . .

Vinylsoul 1965 and Nielsoe like this.
  10. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

I did not order a Pono I will put that out their right now. This is strictly my opinion on why the points you bring up are not that bad. Wifi causes interference with the sound. High end headphones require a portable amp which would give you the EQ customization you want. I suspect it will be a good year before you get a decent selection of high res albums on the Pono music store, after all they have to obtain all the rights. Don't really think all the audiophile's out their are going to care how "fugly" it looks. If you want looks, buy an iPhone. And Bennyboy your saying higher res files don't make a difference, maybe, but theirs just something more satisfying about listing to pureness as I would call it. Not sure how user friendly the software is and would love to try one out before I consider buying one. Overall I am excited about the potential this music player has. Only time will tell if it will live up to the hype.

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Good luck then. You sound like their perfect demographic.

Om likes this.
  12. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

good sound quality and good headphone amp
    reasonable price
    wi-fi, bluetooth, digital out, USB DAC, high-res EQ

Pick two. You are not going to get all three.

Dino and jhm like this.
  13. Om

;)

14. Om

Does anyone know are your restricted to buying albums from the pono store or can you import your own files?

15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

You can import your own files to the player. CD rips, HDtracks, needle drops, whatever. As long as the files are a supported format (FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, AAC unprotected, MP3).

Om likes this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Who is that playing guitar with them?

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Thank you for the first considered audio review I've read.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And one man's "good" DAC is another man's "bad" DAC. Just as some people swear by Grado headphones and find Sennheiser headphones veiled and dull. While Sennheiser fans find Grado bright and painful. So the Wolfson DAC on an ipod might be nirvana (well, good) for Sennheiser fans, but the DAC on the PONO bright and visa versa.

Rolltide and Brother_Rael like this.
  19. Gabe Walters

Adrian Belew.

Billy Budapest and Ghostworld like this.
  20. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

I have the same NY LE ordered up, still waiting. This may be a stupid question but how did you know your were 112 overall?

21. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

You can find that info on Kickstarter by logging in, looking at your Backer History and clicking Pono. The order number is towards the top in the center.

robtodd and cubbykat like this.
  22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

What if Pono is so sonically advanced that it creates geomorphological instability and earthquakes. Like fracking.

Vinylsoul 1965, Rolltide, Om and 3 others like this.
  23. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

#349 and still waiting...

24. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

It depends a good deal on which version you ordered. The black ones, for example, had a finish QC problem and are 4 weeks late.

cubbykat likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

In case anyone is curious about the status of things, Pono is giving production updates over at headfi

todays' update:

as always we remain dedicated to deliver all October and December players to you before Christmas.

As of this update we have manufactured:

• 9103 Chrome LE players
    • 2824 Yellow players
    • 380 Clear players
    We are scheduled to complete 3497 Black players between December 2 and December 8. The black players were delayed because of supplier problems affecting the cosmetics of the special black soft touch paint. We expect all our Kickstarter production to be completed by December 8.

Once your player is manufactured and passes all quality tests, it is shipped to your country from China by air. Depending on the country of destination and other factors, delivery typically takes 3 to 5 days. When the product is ready to be shipped, you will receive a notice alerting you of an upcoming delivery by UPS. A signature is required for it to be left. Three attempts will be made, and if the package cannot be delivered, it will be returned to our manufacturer in China, following UPS’s policy to return it to the sender. To date 52 units have not been able to be delivered due primarily to no one being available to receive it.

Some of you who ordered October Limited Edition players are still waiting for your players, and we apologize for the delay, particularly since you were our earliest supporters. While we began production of the Limited Editions players in pledge priority order, a number of them required their housings to be remade because the cosmetics and laser etching did not meet our specifications. That’s why some of you have received players in a specific Limited Edition series while others are still waiting.

These series include Neil Young, Crosby Stills & Nash, Tom Petty, Pearl Jam, and Lenny Kravitz. From these series, 1997 units have been built out of a total of 3089. The remaining units will be completed between now and December 8.

We are still waiting for some artists to provide us the albums for their December Limited Edition series. These include:

• ZZ Top
    • Tegan & Sara
    • Emmylou Harris
    • Kenny Rogers
    We anticipate having these albums arrive next week and to ship a few days after that.

Om likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.