Songs Misheard As Happy/Love Songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wdp33, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Just To See You Smile - Tim McGraw

Karnak likes this.
  2. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Here Comes My Baby - The Tremeloes

3. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Semi Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The title is so uplifting though ;)

Dudley Morris and c-eling like this.
  5. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"When a Man Loves a Woman" by Percy Sledge.

6. arem

arem Forum Resident

A recent example, Lily Allen's "Smile". The chorus goes "At first when I see you cry, it makes me smile. At worst I feel bad for a while, but then I just smile I go ahead and smile" But it's all delivered with such a sunny sounding melody that you don't notice the bitterness in the lyric.

7. Nikoline

Nikoline Forum Resident

When I was young some kids in school (single, macho guys) used to sing Bob Marley's song as No woman = No cry. I smiled to myself, as I view this song as a comfortsong, and quite opposite of what these guys were trying to express.

8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People surprised quite a few of us a few years back. Not that the lyrics are up for misinterpretation, but the melody is so upbeat and infectious, once you listen to the lyrics, you're like, "Oh."

9. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

First one I thought of. It amazes me how many deejays I've heard introduce it as "a beautiful love song". What's beautiful about losing your self respect and your friends over a woman who doesn't give a hoot about you?

10. LaLaGusta

LaLaGusta Member

this ^

there is like a million other songs I would sing if I was going to serenade some lass

11. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Babybird - You're Gorgeous. Chorus & title make it sound like a love song,
    verses are are from the pov of someone who's (unknowingly) been exploited/ripped off /tricked into 'modelling' via promises of magazine covers and fame. The chorus is either what/how the victim still feels towards the person who exploited them or what the exploiter sold the victim to get them to trust them.

12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Pearl Jam - "Better Man," about an abusive relationship. Audience members have asked Pearl Jam to play it after they've just got engaged.

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I Honestly Love You - Olivia Newton John. About being in love with a person who isn't your spouse. Ironically played at weddings in the 70's

14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

A lyric in Happy Together never made sense to me.
    The only one for me is you. And you for me
    Those two sentences say the exact same thing, but it sort of sounds right on first hearing it.

I think he is trying to say that she is the one person for him, and he is the one person for her. But what he actually says is that she is the one person for him (the only one for me is you) and then he repeats the same thought by shifting words (and you for me). While I've never figured out how he should say it melodically, he should say "the only one for me is you, and me for you". (She is for him and he is for her)

15. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

I have always been baffled as to why most wedding receptions I've been to always play "For the Good Times." Apparently, no one actually listens to the lyrics. Or it is unintentional foreshadowing!

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

The song has such a gentle melody; paired with the abuse portrayed in the lyrics, it becomes quite chilling. You're left wondering if the victim is aware of the exploitation...
    According to Wiki, the song was also used in an Australian advert for a brand of children's medicine. I assume only the chorus was utilized, but it must be quite bizarre for those who know the true meaning of the song.

17. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Yeah. I've seen couples at Pearl Jam gigs, singing along to this and holding on to each other like it was "their song", and not in a sort of, "Awww... it's great that we have each other and we're not like the people in the song" manner.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  18. "There She Goes" by The La's is a metaphor about shooting heroin, frontman Lee Mavers' drug of choice.

19. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Badfinger - No Matter What

20. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Some of the girls at work were singing 'Easy Like Sunday Morning' recently.

When I pointed out that the song was about a bloke dumping his girlfriend, they didn't believe me.

21. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I didn't know that either. Just looked it up, and you are completely right. Funny.

22. LaLaGusta

LaLaGusta Member

No it's not. The band members themselves said this was not true, and that it was in fact about a guy who regretted not talking to a girl he liked.

Kermit27 likes this.
  23. kdmc177

kdmc177 New Member

new order - ceremony

24. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Everything by The Beautiful South.

25. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

My favorite case.

Paradise (author: Harry Nilsson) (original version: Shangri-Las) (covers include: Ronettes, Bette Midler, The Supremes...)

most (only?) successful version is the Shangri-Las, so I'm ready to bet that at least the producer got it.
    But Ronettes and Midler versions don't even make any sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.