Poll --The Weakest Link, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (US version), Round 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

We were mostly all instrumental in dumping the instrumentals.

Now, one at a time from here out.

Discussion question: When did you first hear the US version of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT? What was your initial impression of it?

T9-12 Non Beatles stuff

JcS

2. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident

So tough to choose..one of their finest albums.,esp Side 1

3. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Voted off Tell Me Why. My favorite track from the album when i was 10, but I
    realize now it's really the weakest song on it.

DQ: First album I ever got, a Christmas present in '64. Perhaps that part of
    the reason that I've always loved it.

4. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Tell me why. That was easy.

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I first heard it when I was 9 years old, listening to my dad's copy. Loved it then, love it now.

I vote off "Can't Buy Me Love"

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

First heard it in the early 70s but never listened to it much as I preferred hearing most of the tunes on Something New (one of my favorites of theirs at the time) without the instrumentals. Had not yet seen the film or heard the uk lp.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  7. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Tell Me Why. I have always found this song dull and bland. Never has done anything for me.
    The rest of the way will be really hard after IHJTDWY.

8. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Tell Me Why. I first heard this when it was first available. Thought it was just okay.

9. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

"Tell Me Why" is one of my favorites -- never understood why many fans seem to not care much for it. Great, energetic vocal from Lennon.

I voted for "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" this round...

ralph7109, jricc and socorro like this.
  10. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I'm with you -- I think Tell Me Why is terrific.

I suppose if I have to choose, it would be I'll Cry Instead, followed by I'm Happy Just To Dance With You. Both are good songs but I like the others better.

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

12. Jack o' the Shadows

Jack o' the Shadows Live and Dubious

Voted "Tell me Why", but it was a hard decision. It could just as easily have been "Can't Buy me Love" or "If I Fell."

13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Just to dance with you...........

DQ - the CD box set. My father skipped having it in his collection.
    I heard the UK album long before the US album.............(the UK version is one of my favorite Beatles albums)

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not "Happy" any longer!

I became a Fabs fan in early 1979 and the first albums I heard were the handful I inherited from my stepmother - "AHDN" was one of them.

I loved it. I loved everything I heard from the Beatles back then! Still do, but I was especially excited about my "new discoveries" back then! :)

15. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I heard this first from a Doctor, wasn't overly impressed with the instrumentals and rarely went back to it. I did pick up the CD of it this year (plus Y&T) but always preferred the UK version. I remember back in 1980 when I started listening to the Beatles, I got a copy of the Illustrated Record book from the library and was amazed at these American versions of the albums. Wow I renewed that book for months! Finally managed to get a copy off eBay about 10 years ago or so.

16. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I recall playing this LP at a relative's house in the 1960s, when I was probably around 5 or 6. But I had my first vinyl copy around 1975 at 13, and it was on the pinkish/purple UA label.

17. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

i first got the album when i was about seven. i just remember loving the red cover and looking at the photos- probably the moment i fell in love with the image of the band. a childhood crush that never ended. it was like getting a jolt of energy when i put it on. those harmonies! tell me why was a favorite then, oddly i just voted that one off because the adult ears prefer other songs.

18. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

I've got every reason on earth to be mad.

Only familiar with the UK version and Something New.

19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Of course.. "Tell My Why" is one of the best. You guys suck.
    :)

20. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

DQ: Actually, I have never heard the US album properly. I know the instrumentals from the movie and I have always missed them on the record. On the other hand the UK album is a serious contender for my no.1 Beatles album and in fact the instrumentals would hardly improve it.

Oh, voted off the track sung by George. :)

21. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

"I'll Cry Instead"

First heard the album some time in the late 60s as a 9 or 10 yr. old. Liked it a lot if I remember correctly. Still do!

22. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

I've already decided I can't vote any more! I ran all those songs through my head and just didn't have the heart to vote any of them off!

23. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

with the muzak rubbish cut, this album is a juggernaut. I guess I'll pick "I'm Happy Just to Dance With You" only because it's the weakest of 8 great songs.

24. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

No, I think the consensus view is that the instrumentals didn't improve the record (knowing some adore them), but UA was not able to fill out an album with Beatles songs like Parlophone could. I guess those are better than dead air or an 8 cut album.

JcS

25. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'm Happy Just To See 'Dance' Get The Boot

DQ:

Jeez, these early-Beatles TWLs are gonna get me kicked off the forum...

Never heard or owned this album. Never will. Note how I've not employed a hide-under-chair smilie. Of course the individual tracks were all over the radio; I'm sure I got some in single form. This isn't an album-experience album, just a collection of songs.

Good'uns, of course.

Mostly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.