Twilight Time Entertainment's Jan./Feb. 2015 blu-ray releases

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Oct 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

Coming Jan. 20th:

"The Bride Wore Black"(1968), directed by Francois Truffaut and starring Jeanne Moreau
    "The Purple Rose Of Cairo"(1985), directed by Woody Allen and starring Mia Farrow, Jeff Daniels & Danny Aiello
    "Breaking Away"(1979), directed by Peter Yates and starring Dennis Quaid, Daniel Stern, Dennis Christopher and Jackie Earle Haley
    "Fright Night"(1985/30th Anniversary Edition), directed by Herb Jaffe and starring William Ragsdale, Roddy McDowell, Chris Sarandon and Amanda Bearse
    "Bandit Queen"(1994/India), the biographical film depicting the life of Phoolan Devi, directed by Shekar Khapur and starring Seema Biswas as the title character

Coming Feb. 10th

"Lenny"(1974), Bob Fosse's film biography of the legendary comedian Lenny Bruce, starring Dustin Hoffman as the title character and Valerie Perrine as his Las Vegas showgirl wife Honey
    "Love & Death"(1975), directed by and starring Woody Allen, Diane Keaton as a fiction couple living in Russia during the Napoleonic Wars
    "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre"(1967), directed by the legendary Roger Corman and starring Jason Robards as Al Capone, George Segal, David Canary and Ralph Meeker
    "To Sir, With Love"(1967), directed by James Clavell("Shogun") and starring Sidney Poitier, Christian Roberts, Judy Geeson and '60s singer Lulu as one of his students
    "Stormy Weather"(1943/musical), directed by Andrew L. Stone and starring Lena Horne, Bill "Bojangles" Robinson and Cab Calloway
    Coming Feb. 24th
    "Zardoz"(1973), directed by John Boorman and starring Sean Connery and Charlotte Rampling

Twilight Time blu-ray releases are 3,000-pressing limited editions licensed from the original studios and MSRP at $29.98 plus shipping and sales tax(where applicable). "Fright Night"(1985/30th Anniversary)will be a 5,000-pressing release due to expected high demand.

ENJOY, EVERYONE!!!:goodie:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    wave likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You left out The St. Valentine's Day Massacre - Feb. 10th,
    and Stormy Weather, also Feb. 10th.

Zardoz is actually Feb. 24th.

Official :
    Release Date: January 20, 2015 THE BRIDE WORE BLACK (1968)
    THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO (1985)
    BREAKING AWAY (1979)
    FRIGHT NIGHT: 30th Anniversary Special Edition (1985)
    BANDIT QUEEN (1994)

Release Date: February 10, 2015

LENNY (1974)
    LOVE AND DEATH (1975)
    THE ST VALENTINE’S DAY MASSACRE (1967)
    STORMY WEATHER (1943)
    TO SIR, WITH LOVE (1967)

Release Date: February 24, 2015

ZARDOZ (1973)

lukejosephchung likes this.
  3. lukejosephchung

I'll edit in the corrections, MYKE...thanks!!!:wave:

4. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Looking forward to the two Woody's.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Connery! Poney Tail!! Dominatrix boots!!! Banana hammock!!!!

[​IMG]

Dee Zee and lukejosephchung like this.
  6. Frank159

Frank159 New Member

ZARDOZ was shot in 1973 but released in February 1974.

Interesting to see that each time the film is mentioned Sean Connery in his Exterminator costume pops up.

As for the strange color choice I recommend googling "color symbolism" (the film is full of it). :)

Next, I'd like to emphasize the obvious Moses allusion of a man in a loincloth being examined by Eternals with Egyptian headwear (and inside a pyramid). :rolleyes:

And, apparently, to convey to audiences that this isn't a film set in the past but the future, we got these boots (you could argue what is actually the difference between an SS officer and a savage - I assume audiences would have found Exterminators wearing SS uniforms much sillier)

Simply put, the design choice for this costume (Connery covers his "shame" of ignorance after the touch-teach-scene later) would appear to have been rather deliberate as it serves in the context of the evolving story.

7. lukejosephchung

8. wave

wave Forum Resident

Are they taking pre-orders for Fright Night or Purple Rose now? I searched your link and didn't see any.

9. lukejosephchung

Sorry, false alarm...January titles won't be online for another week or 2...:(

10. wave

wave Forum Resident

No problem, I'm just stoked for these releases!

11. lukejosephchung

Just went online at www.screenarchives.com and placed my order for Twilight Time Entertainment's January 2015 titles including "Breaking Away"(1979), "The Purple Rose Of Cairo"(1985) and the 30th Anniversary blu-ray edition of "Fright Night"(1985), which is a 5,000-pressing run limited to 3 copies/customer...estimated release date is Jan. 20th!!! :thumbsup::wave:

12. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I ordered Breaking Away on Blu-Ray along with the soundtrack for Breaking Away on cd. I also picked up the Fright Night reissue. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of Woody Allen than Fright Night but I figured I can pick up the Woody title later vs. risking getting shut out on Fright Night if it sells out again quickly.

I'm very excited for the Breaking Away releases. It's a great film anyway but Indiana University is my alma mater so it's always had special meaning to me with the entire movie filmed in and around the campus and town of Bloomington, IN. I remember asking Criterion several years ago about them releasing it. The reply back was that they would like to but hadn't been able to get the rights. I'm surprised to see it end up with Twilight Time but just happy someone is putting it out on Blu-Ray.

13. wave

wave Forum Resident

Purple Rose and Fright Night here. Thanks for the heads up, Luke!

14. Myke

Wanted you to know how wise you were. Perusing my son's Facebook page, I just saw this posted less than 2 days after your post !!!! :

Heads-up from SAE - fewer than 500 copies remaining of the FRIGHT NIGHT: 30th Anniversary Edition - these are moving very quickly - you have been warned! Happy New Year, everyone!

15. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I think I may actually spring for "Lenny" and "Love and Death"

"Fright Night" is nearly sold out again?! Didn't they print 5000 copies this time? :o I'm not sure why Sony didn't just release it themselves if it's so popular.

16. wave

wave Forum Resident

It looks like it may be sold out now as it's no longer on their pre-order page. When I ordered my copy there was a 3 copy per customer limit. I guess many people took advantage of that for re-sale purposes.

17. Roger Meadows

Roger Meadows Active Member

wave likes this.
  18. Also recall Burt Reynolds was originally slated to star.

19. K
    As of now it is sold out. Again, I think a title this poplar is silly to be licensed for limited editions. I also don't understand why they don't license for more than 5000 and vary it by title.

Vidiot likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Studios get very dodgy on contract licensing to 3rd party sources. Howard Stern once said he wanted to put out a limited edition Blu-ray of his 1990s movie Private Parts, with about 20 minutes worth of extra scenes cut back in, but Paramount nixed it on the belief that if it was successful, "it would make the studio look bad." And if it does badly, nobody makes any money. Either way, it won't help the studio that much.

lukejosephchung and wayneklein like this.
  21. lukejosephchung

Keep in mind that if not for the existence of boutique labels like Criterion & Twilight Time, these titles would continue to languish unreleased on HD physical media...they're basically considered "orphan" films that wouldn't sell well enough to justify their release at US brick and mortar retail outlets...

22. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'm itching bad for the 4k resto of JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH 1959. I darn well better get one!

23. Myke

There's a used but Like New on eBay for $46.99 right now. I'll PM you the link

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Thanks, appreciate the tip, but that is not the new 4k resto that due out in March.

25. Myke

Yes, I see now that this is still like a well-kept secret, about to be known by more...like me ! :laugh:

GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.