Open your windows and I'll walk through your doors. Jethro Tull - WarChild Remixed 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I received my copy today and I must say it is impressive. I'd like to send out kudos for another job well done by Mr. Wilson and Mr. Anderson! I only gave it a run through on the DTS 96/24 in 5.1 and I liked it a lot. I did skip through a few tunes in stereo and the quad mixes are quite good in my opinion as well. I watched the IA narrated film and the Third Hoorah as well. I wish I had more time to settle down with this today but I am very busy preparing for the holiday. I only skimmed through the booklet (without my necessary reading glasses) and it looks like I will need some me time to go and read through it all. Haven't even popped out the 2nd dvd. I just imported the CD's into my iPod and I will check them out tomorrow.

2. Terry

Terry Senior Member

This is incredible. This coming from someone who never thought much of it when it was first released. Amazing.

3. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I never thought much of the original album but this set will be close to tulls best release now. 1974 will be close to their best year in the studio. When I add it to my ipod it will have at least 25 songs and the 5 weakest songs will be songs that were on the original 11 song release. Very similar to the Aqualung remix. I added 19 songs and the 3 weakest songs were on the original album. I also used some quads to replace originals which I will also do to Warchild. Hymn 43 quad has moved up to the top half a dozen songs from the 19 songs but the original version is amongst the bottom 5 imo. My god and Wind up are bottom 5 for me but at least the quad and original version are a good star better over the mediocre originals

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Huh - always liked this album. Actually until later Tull (talking late 90's on - I don't recall a bad track. :shrug

To tide myself over I played the last release of this - and to be honest that sounds pretty damn good. It'll be interesting to compare tomorrow.

5. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

The weaker songs aren't bad songs, they are just weaker than usual great tull I suppose. They also had a similar feeling which drowned the album a bit

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Just played the SW remix at 24/96....we have another winner here. Awesome sound, great mix. Like others said, I never really warmed up to this one but this new presentation is forcing me to re-evaluate. Can't wait to immerse myself in all the extras.

JQ

7. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

One reason it's my favourite Tull is the extensive use of the accordion. Gave it a different flavour.

ParloFax likes this.
  8. ...That is simply unbelievable... So technicaly I suppose there is no protection of the copyright at all in such a case? I mean in this here "day and age" lol!

Is anybody reading anything back anymore? ...Even in the legal department?

9. Yes! And accordion + soprano sax makes up for a weird flavour! Like the group just cannot sound like anything else around in 1974 to save its life!

Meng likes this.
  10. ...And don't you just love that little sailor dance they open "Queen & Country" with?...

Meng likes this.
  11. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Queen and county, Warchild, Glory row, Saturation are ripper tracks
    I have a feeling Tomorrow was today will be another ripper

ParloFax likes this.
  12. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Same date on the Passion Play package as well.......

13. Now you're kidding me...

14. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I felt this way with A Passion Play, love the new spec.ed.
    Still waiting on War Child,c'mon Burning Shed.

15. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

Confirming 2104 on APP

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

These remixes are too good to be true. They have to come from the future. 90 years from now, when the music industry finally got it together. :p

pdenny, The Hud, johnny q and 5 others like this.
  17. Rob Burgess

Rob Burgess Forum Resident

Ok, so it's unlikely to be a typo if they did it twice. Or maybe the copy editor is a jazz musician who believes that if you make an error to repeat it the next time so people will think you meant to do it??

ParloFax and Kim Olesen like this.
  18. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

While I wait for my WarChild set, I can't help wishing that they reissued the Aqualung box in this 4-disc format.

19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I don't have this yet, but I can't wait. Really excited.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  20. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Steven Wilson is helping me to have a fabulous Christmas season! Big dinner on prep for Thanksgiving tomorrow, Relayer and Warchild in 5.1 ...it's like being a kid again:)

Tone_Boss likes this.
  21. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

+1 :agree:

22. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

+1 :D

I hope th success of this Warchild remix persuades IA and SW to have a go with Minstrel.

johnny q, Plan9 and Starwanderer like this.
  23. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The surround mix done by Steven Wilson is really excellent.

24. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

(Jewel Case) Single CD credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

qtrules, Mik and Chris Haley like this.
  25. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

any comparisons for the 2-channel remix? Or is this release all about the surround mix? I've been listening to the standard version of the album for the first time over the past few weeks, and nothing jumps out at me at needing correction or updating ... just maybe some overenthusiasm with the levels on some of the synths.

really digging the tune "Ladies"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.