Neil Young's Greendale bonus DVD material?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dreadnought, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

I fell under the spell of Neil Young's Greendale a few days ago. This is unfortunately a 1st edition and now I'm going to get one of the two 2nd editions each with a bonus DVD, one of which is an acoustic performance of the album and the other a behind the scenes look at the making of the album (from what I've gathered).

Has anyone seen either of the DVDs and have a recommendation? I'm leaning towards the acoustic rendition. There is something about having three copies of the same album that irks me just a little bit.

2. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

I would go with the first edition with the acoustic show. A couple of songs are better solo than in the studio band version (the band versions were often better live than the released earlier studio versions, but so far no official releases of any of those) -- particularly "Bandit", which is too cluttered on the studio release.

3. duse

duse Senior Member

I absolutely love the acoustic show, much better than the album itself. The background stories are what makes it for me, as well as the DTS. I think the DVD of extra features on the second edition of the redbook CD are the same as the extra features on the DVD of the movie. I may be mistaken, though.

4. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I have both versions of Greendale CD + DVD and the Greendale movie DVD. The acoustic show on the first edition is great. However, I prefer the "Making of Greendale" DVD that comes with the second edition of the CD. Filmed in Neil's barn. Really fun.

IIRC, the Greendale movie DVD does NOT include the "making of Greendale" as bonus material. However, there is a great video of "Be the Rain" from one of the Greendale Crazy Horse shows. Would love to see a full release of one of the shows from this tour.

5. duse

duse Senior Member

Oh, okay. I netflixed the actual movie, so I did not buy it. Amazon does list "Making of Greendale" as a bonus feature of the movie DVD. They could be wrong. Like I said, I don't have the second edition nor the movie, but it would be strange that there would be "two" different "making of" documentaries of the same album.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_5/002-7351003-2969626?v=glance&s=dvd

6. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work. I am pretty sure that the "Making of Greendale" (the record) is only on the DVD available with the Greendale CD. It was also broadcast on VH1 Classics a few times. I know that is the first place I saw it.

It is possible that it is also on the Greendale Movie DVD but I just ignored it because I had already seen it. Like I said, I'll confirm this tonite.

CWZ

7. Dreadnought

Thanks for the replies guys. :cool:

I read your posts while at work and picked up the edition with the acoustic set DVD on my way home. I've watched about half of it and it is well worth the extra bucks.
    It seems I won't be able to help but have three copies after all as I do want to see the 'making of' as well.

Funny though I kept wondering if the Dublin audience knew prior to the show if they were to get a 'Greendale' show or did they expect a concert of the usual tunes?

8. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

THere are so many versions of this release:

CD
    CD+DVD #1
    CD+DVD #2
    DVD-A
    DVD-V (Film)

Amazing. To bad they did not do this with some of his "better" releases......

9. Peter Harrar

I'm pretty sure it was billed as the Greendale show. Certainly the follow-up US Tour was.

Dublin, like the other stops on the 2003 European acoustic tour, also got a second set of more familiar older songs.

10. Dreadnought

:righton:

11. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

At the time of these shows, I was following the Neil Young news on the rustlist mailing list. IIRC, nobody knew what to expect for this European tour other than it would be a solo tour. Greendale was a helluva surprise. Of course, there were a few shows before the Dublin shows, so at least internet savvy fans knew what to expect.

I saw the Greendale tour in Cleveland on 3/11/04. Great show. I don't know how they could have missed it, but even though he had been playing Greendale in its entirety for almost a year, there were still "fans" disappointed by the setlist. I thought it was great. Read reviews before and wasn't sure that he could pull it off, but I loved it.

12. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

yeah, gotta hand it to Neil, he at least is forging ahead with good, new material :righton:

I've got both CD releases.....one w/the making of DVD + other w/acoustic set DVD

13. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I reviewed the Greendale Movie DVD tonight. The bonus feature "making of Greendale" on the movie is a documentary about the making of Greendale (the movie.) Totally different from the making of Greendale (the album) that is on the CD+DVD.

14. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I just got my version two of Greendale (the one with the black background cover) last week from yourmusic.com and the extra disc on mine is the DVD-A. I don't see anywhere advertising a CD+DVD-A but that is what I appear to have. The second disc itself says dvd-audio right on it (although very small) I don't have a dvd-a player so I can't confirm any further than that but there is nothing on the disc about a making of Greendale and I can play the tracks on the dvd player. There is one video the thing pretty much looks like a dvd-a as far as I can tell.
    Anyone else get one like this? Pretty good deal from yourmusic.com considering I got it for $4.99 shipped since it was in my queue.

15. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I've only seen the DVD-A sold separately. Have thought about picking it up but haven't pulled the trigger. Anybody heard it?

16. Peter Harrar

Like all of Neil Young's DVD-As, it sounds terrific, particularly in the two-channel stereo track. A real shame that NY has abandoned this format to settle for 48/24 only.

17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Neil's last Greatest Hits DVD is at 24/96 not 24/48.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Picked up the DVD for 1.00 yesterday with poster.And pretty knocked out, terrific stuff.The super 8' film quality is very "celluloid grunge' very Neil. Director Shakey ' films cheap, but the rewards are great.Be The Rain' indeed.

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I haven't watched it in a while so I think it's time to give it a play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.