"Who's Next" Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aris, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misko

misko Forum Resident

Mr. Johns wanted Pete to play electric guitar on" " Going Mobile." The writer obviously felt otherwise , so some discussion took place in relevance to this track. The song stands on its own merit and is a great vehicle for Townshend's vocal style. Its juxtaposition on the LP among the heavier Daltrey delivery and its general theme provides a more lighthearted feeling to this segment of the album, and is in no way conjured by a lack of quality in relation to " Who's Next?'s other compositions. " Going Mobile " is one fine track and does not even come close to being "filler".

Zack likes this.
  2. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Just picked up a W2/W2 hand etched copy today. Sounds magnificent. I do have a W3/W3 and Classic on Vinyl. CD 1995 pressing, CD Deluxe. I believe I had Steve's version back a long time ago, along with 1/2 speed mastered version.

I love this LP!

When I was freshman in HS (1975), this LP was on constant play, and I mean every day (I got razzed for bringing in "Sell Out" ) in our weight training room. On the final day of HS one of the pin-heads grabbed it off the turntable, mid play, and frisbeed it across the "quad" area (open space area) smashing it into bits to a hell of a lot of cheering. I think Pete would have been proud.

3. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

For me Who's Next captured who they were at their 60s peak...romping stomping mods.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Played this album the other day and it sounded so fresh' didn't realise it was "that great" Anyway,anyhow 'Entwistle song.

JayB likes this.
  5. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Always sounds great and hasn't dated like some of the albums of the era. Simply one of the best and an essential part of any decent rock collection. :)

Dave Hoos likes this.
  6. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit Thread Starter

Quality always aged well. :)

7. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Yes it is. And then they went even one better with Quadrophenia. And that's not my opinion. Just ask my wife. She is always right!

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  8. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

For me this is The Who's zenith. My favorite rock record. I love Quadro but I adore this one. Lifehouse is the true genius of this madman. Sorry Pete, I still love ya. :shrug:

9. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

You could argue that The Who went into the studio thinking they were the best band in the world...and then proved it.

10. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

For me, hands down their best album, and one of the real cornerstones of rock music. Overplayed and overexposed? Probably, but still great!

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It is a greater achievement, yes.

12. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Why choose. Who's Next and Quad. What a run. Not to mention Leeds.

Aris likes this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

For me, the big run consists of The Who Sell Out-Tommy-Live At Leeds-Who's Next-Quadrophenia. Impressive records, one after another. Who's Next is one of those albums that would sound great on 5.1, I was thinking.

14. Dave Hoos

I think the run continues through to The Who By Numbers too. Doesn't have the profile of it's predecessors, but it's right up there with them...in my humble opinion.

Not quite as good as Who's Next or Quadrophenia though. Obviously.

texron, misko, bruce2 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The Who By Numbers has great numbers in general, but it lacks the magnificent quality of the previous records. In fact, I also consider Who Are You an excellent album, but 1967-1973 was the magic period for the band's discography (at least to these ears).

16. Dave Hoos

I like Who Are You as well, although I think it's a step or two down from By Numbers.

17. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Face it. We all love the who. Now it is a matter of which hits the jukebox most often

18. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

My Wife

Aris likes this.
  19. Aris

Well said.

20. Aris

Who's next are not the best studio album but Leeds is the best live album
    :righton:

21. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

Replace "of the 1970's" with "ever" and I agree with everything you have stated.

22. Dave Hoos

As I was submitting this post, I couldn't help thinking that it seemed somehow familiar, or that I'd seen it before. I had a horrible thought that I had stolen the quote from someone else...and as it turns out, that's just what I did. From me.

Way back there on the first page of this thread I used the same line for my initial - and much longer - post regarding my thoughts on The Who's greatest (or second greatest) album. So I apologise to everyone for my remarkable forgetfulness. I must also add that unfortunately I can't blame it on a chemical substance of any sort, or perhaps having that one drink too many...I just f#cked up!

23. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The best album that never was, as far as I'm concerned. I kind of wish he'd go through all the old recordings and assemble the thing once and for all. Meanwhile, I'll continue to sleep with the Lifehouse Chronicles under my pillow. Figuratively, of course.

24. Dave Hoos

Yes, I would think you'd get a stiff neck if it really was under your pillow!

25. Aris

Agree, "Going Mobile" is one of the lighter moments on the album but nonetheless is exciting and powerful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.