Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I heard it on my MoFi SACD redbook layer. I then checked my previous reference for the original mix and it is on SRCS 9118-9 as well

2. You got it!:agree: That's what I was referring to. I accept that not all folks have a £10,000 LP system like I have so maybe they will not be as acutely aware of the fault as I am but on my system, which has very low inaudible distortion as a rule, at any volume it is rendered in all its ugliness, very very clearly!

3. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

If it isn't there, it suggests the download is sourced from the Wilder remix.

4. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

No, the HDtracks download is most definitely the original mix.

5. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I wish MoFi would do E.S.P. Seems like a strange omission in their current series.

jfeldt likes this.
  6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I'll trade you systems and we can put this matter to bed.

7. Nah, sorry mate, but my ears are still good enough to hear it even on a cheap system. Once heard, never forgotten! ;)

8. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Wilder told me there is tape deterioration and can be heard in a manner like you're describing on a spot or too. I haven't checked it out yet myself.

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

10. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Other than the few spots where tape deterioration can be detected, the tapes from the original mix sound sublime, seeing the quality of MFSL's SACD and LP.

Sorcerer and rxcory like this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Agreed! I'm very happy with these. The crackling doesn't effect my enjoyment in the least. Maybe because my equipment is too "cheap" to resolve it at lower levels. ;-)

rxcory likes this.
  12. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Yes. Apparently it's completely minor (I can't say I''ve heard anything on the 40th set). The 40th set and the MFSL sound great to me, with good clarity and fidelity. I think the engineers did a terrific job.

Sorcerer likes this.
  13. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Very true. I also had not noticed it until reading about it here, but even now that I know it exists it does not affect my enjoyment one iota. To me the MFSL LP still bests my early Columbia pressing and the MFSL SACD still sounds better than the HDtracks hi-res version. And the remix CD never did anything for me anyway.

14. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

the impex is very nice .

Dmann201 and johnnypaddock like this.
  15. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I agree. Listen to the Impex pressing of E.S.P. and you may not be concerned with MoFi releasing it.

Dmann201 and johnnypaddock like this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just listened to the JSACD and no crackling or static from the 19:00 minute mark.

Bill

17. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Same mastering then as the HDtracks version, I wonder?

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I just got my copies of Nefertiti and Sorcerer on vinyl. I'm spinning Nefertiti now and it sounds great. I skipped over some of the posts talking about the crackling. I don't want to know where it is. If someone needs to turn their amp up loud and use headphones to hear it I really don't care.

Dmann201, cds23 and J.A.W. like this.
  19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I thought the JSACD is the remix and not the original mix.

20. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

There were actually two different JSACD's released but I'm pretty sure both were remixes.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Cory,

I wouldn't know as I don't do any downloads. I'm a shiny disc kind of old school guy :).
    Mike,

I'm not sure on that but it could be a remix.

Bill

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Both Japanese SACDs (the first was single-layer, the second Hybrid) are the remix.

To answer a query upstream this thread, the Complete Album Collection discs are the original mix.

rxcory likes this.
  23. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

Just received my MOFI vinyl and it's there. I was also wondering if it was a defect or not?

Clanceman likes this.
  24. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

From what I can gather, it is on the tapes.

benzo likes this.
  25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

But it's not on the HDtracks download which also has the original mix. There lies the mystery.

Clanceman likes this.