Lost: The Sixth and Final Season-"The End" (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Ben wasn't following Jacob's orders, he never met Jacob until Man In Black/Smokey took him to the statue.

Ben was either a) following his own twisted plans or b) was being manipulated by Man In Black.

That's why Ben was always so jealous...he wasn't chosen. His irrational desire to be leader made him easy to manipulate by Man In Black. Exiling Widmore, killing the Dharma Initiative, moving into their barracks, etc, none of those things were instructions from Jacob.

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's been a very long time since I've seen it, so the details are a bit fuzzy, but Richard Alpert knew and communicated with Jacob and was also one of the Others. I assumed that the Others knowledge of Jacob and any word that was handed down to the Others from Jacob went through Richard. Yes, Ben definitely had his own selfish agenda which had little to do with Jacob other than using Jacob as a tool to manipulate the Others.

3. progrocker71

Richard was tasked with keeping an eye on Ben. I think the root of Jacob's tests were seeing what decisions people made on their own. Richard was brought in as a way to ensure the balance didn't swing too far in Man In Black's favor. Most of the time though, you see Ben instructing Richard to do things, but I'm sure if Jacob wanted Richard to step in...he would. At least that's my interpretation of events.

Encuentro likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can't remember the details of whether the Others had always been there or not. But again, the bigger purpose of what The Others were up to was never really revealed. The Dharma people were conducting experiments to harness the magnetic power of the Island, and that's why all those stations were built in various locations around it. If they were there merely to protect Jacob, why do you need lots of them? And if Jacob is essentially omnipotent, why does he need any help? It seems to me he did fine on his own for about 2000 years.

My memory is that The Man in Black had been fooling them all along, as witnessed by the mysterious cabin in the woods, the rocking chair, and all that crap. The inference was that this was all done to fool and befuddle Ben Linus into doing TMIB's bidding.

JimC likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Water' ?
    Makes sense !!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  6. alexpop

The only thing that irked me was the production cost on Jacob and bro back story ' was this a Roger Corman homage?

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I actually enjoyed that episode quite a bit, since it filled in a lot of the backstory. But as many answers as it gave, it raised more questions: where did the mother (Allison Janney) come from? How did she know what would happen to anybody who travelled down the river? Why did they never give The Boy in Black a name? If the mother had magic powers, how could the boy kill her? Why did Jacob and MIB live forever? What held the MIB on the island (the "cork" that Jacob spoke of)? Why couldn't MIB immediately leave the island the moment Jacob was dead? There's a lot of inconsistencies.

But I have to admit, the episode was really, really entertaining, one of the best they ever did.

8. alexpop

The concept good, the execution bad.

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

These are just guesses/assumptions on my part: Where did the mother come from? Where did we come from, and how did we get here? She was just there, a descendant of other people who were native to the island. Despite the island's magical properties, it's a place. There is life spread throughout the world, and in the fictional world of Lost, that world includes the island. Why did the Man in Black not have a name? He was a symbol of darkness, an archetypal protagonist. Not giving him a name adds a bit of dark mystery to his character, similar to the Cigarette-Smoking Man in The X-Files. The MIB was able to kill her just as Ben Linus was able to kill Jacob, just as the MIB in the form of Locke was able to kill Jack after he became the leader of the island and was bestowed with the same powers as Jacob and his mother before him. They had magical powers and didn't age, but they weren't immortal. I don't have answers to all of the questions, but a quote from Jacob and the Man in Black's mother is appropriate here: "Any answer I give you will only lead to more questions." But it's good to ask questions. It keeps the conversation going. As you have pointed out, the show has been off the air for over 4 years, and we're still discussing it.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

"still discussing it"
    Not... Lost' for words.
    That's a good thing. :)

Encuentro likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, did you write for the show? :eek:

Encuentro likes this.
  12. alexpop

Mother ' I presume Spain, ship wreck ( did she not speak ' Latin ?
    Boy no name? Mother ' thought she was pregnant with one child.
    Boy in black "? Johnny would have been fitting. :)
    Old witch- mother"? She could be killed because she was evil.
    Jacob and MiB"? The light in the cave was the power force.
    MiB"? He could not leave the island as he unfinished business to do.

I was more interested in the light / power force temple ie; who created it?

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

15. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Just finished season 1 of my rewatch. I watched the show from it's series premiere and have rewatched the whole thing twice. Some random things.

1. I've always liked the Sayid character but this is the first time I feel like Naveen Andrews is not a very good actor. Particularly his delivery of dialogue. I know the Sayid accent is not Naveen's accent, but all his dialogue seems like he's chewing the scenery like crazy.

2. The Sayid/Shannon thing is just unwatchable. I hated it from the first time, and hate it still.

3. There's a scene in the finale when Jim and Michael are talking on the boat, Michael is asking Jin about what English Sun has taught him. When Michael gets up he continues speaking and there are three different words/phrases that come out that are obviously supposed to be Michael but are dubbed in. The voice is none of the raft people; at first I thought maybe it was just Sawyer talking in the background, but it isn't. Odd, because the words (and the third one is more like a grunt) add nothing to the scene!

4. Claire was always annoying.

5. This is the first time I've realized that yes, Jack can be annoying as f##k! I can see why some people weren't big fans of his character, though I still like him.

6. Something very minor that bugs me. They introduce the Arzt character and they obviously want us to accept that he's been there the whole time though we've never seen him. So when he goes up to Jack about coming to the Black Rock he refers to Hurley as 'the fat guy'. Small thing I grant you, but if they'd been on the island over a month, odds are he'd refer to him as 'Hurley' in that instance.

7. Jack is asking Michael how the raft finishing touches are going. Michael says great but they also have to built the things to roll it down to the water; says they have a manpower problem. So Jack goes off and comes back (they show them walking together) with six or eight guys ready to help. SERIOUSLY?? Where were these guys before? Michael is working his ass off on the raft, needs more help, a bunch of guys have nothing to do with themselves for weeks at a time. Seemed completely tacked on to suggest they wouldn't have been ready and willing to help get off the island from the get go. They wouldn't need Jack to come and motivate them!

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

The Austrialian cast were straight out of Neighbours.

17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

We've just finished Season Two, and, we laugh every time there seems to be a big 'thing' in front of everybody, and someone says, "Look!", as if no one else noticed the giant thing in front of them (The Black Rock, the 'Foot', when Tom says, "We're here,", and Michael just notices the big rock structure, Henry's balloon)
    Also, take a drink every time someone says, "Absolutely."

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think this cat video is worth one more view...

19. progrocker71

I liked the Sayid/Shannon relationship, I also think they killed off her character too early.

JimC likes this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Here's another one for all you "LOST sticklers" (especially, people here at THIS forum):
    At the beginning of Season Three, Juliette put a CD on, and it's "Downtown", but she's CLEARLY got the CD case of Talking Heads- "Speaking In Tongues"!!

Rhett and JimC like this.
  21. I would have to rate it season by sea

To tie. To The Stand maybe it was TheWalking Dude.

22. alexpop

Sayid was a great character.
    Tea For The Tillerman meets James Bond. :)

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's a lot of this kind of thing that goes on in television. The characters aren't really "there" until they're needed by the script. In fact, in the pilot you can see a dozen or more distinctive looking people, even some with brief lines, yet they vanish in the later episodes.

In fact, one of many great mysteries within the show is aside from the "Oceanic 6," who actually made it back to America, what happened to the dozens of other adults and children on the Island? Dead? Missing? Killed by the Smoke Monster? Vanished in time? Stuck on the Island? A lot is left up in the air.

24. alexpop

O6"
    Was that a dream?
    A what if?

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.