How do you give the gift of music to kids today?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David G., Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I think the OP has asked a really interesting question that poses a very modern dilemma, one that I'd never really considered as luckily my 16 year old daughter hasn't taken to Spotify and still loves to buy CDs of her favourite artists (Arctic Monkeys, Eminem, Jake Bugg etc.)

Anway, I digress, the best suggestion I can come up with is to create a playlist on the iTunes store (I assume you can still do that, I know you could previously, I remember creating a Nick Drake compilation a few years ago that was searchable by other iTunes users). You could then send them a link to that playlist within the iTunes store, in conjunction with giving an iTunes voucher that covers the cost of buying those items. It's then up to them whether they decide to buy those specific songs with the voucher, but hopefully if they've appreciated your gifts in the past they will see merit in doing this.

They then (legally) have your playlist (i.e. gift) in their iTunes library. I have no idea whether a similar approach would be possible via a Spotify subscription.

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Some Beats Audio headphones might be appreciated.
    Last year I gave my grandson a decent subwoofer. He was thrilled and still uses it.

fluffskul and nbakid2000 like this.
  3. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Amazon gift cards. If they don't buy albums or songs from their MP3 store, at least they could buy other items.

A paid subscription to Spotify or Rhapsody so they can synchronize playlists or "download" songs and albums for offline listening to different devices. You can synchronize playlists and albums with a free subscription but only listen them via shuffle.

4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

especially if the socks have Bluetooth... ;)

timind likes this.
  5. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

It sounds like the idea of giving them music has sailed. You could either try to introduce them to music you like/give suggestions for artists/songs for them to seek on on Spotify and get them something else as a physical gift for them to open (maybe some socks). If you keep pushing a medium on them that they no longer use (vinyl, CD, iTunes) then you are going to end up looking like the sad uncle that can't adapt to the times. If you still want to share a music themed gift with them, take them to a concert or get them better headphones.

6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Movie passes yes. No one wants Christmas music as a gift.

Master_It_Right likes this.
  7. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Better headphones are definitely a great suggestion.

goodiesguy and Gaslight like this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Sounds like a completely different direction is likely the only option. If they don't want physical media and you don't want to gift card a Spotify subscription extension, then I don't see much choice.

Btw, I admittedly chuckled at the "thought they NEEDED to like" comment. For your sake I hope they didn't end up on a shelf or tossed. :)

9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Better headphones.

10. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I don't.
    Let them discover their own taste in music.
    There is just FAR too much music out there and it is far too fragmented to try to guess what kids like.
    My grandkids like to come and see grandpa perform, and I am certain they like some rock era music.
    But God knows what they like that is more modern. If anything at all.
    They are teenagers and hard to buy for, but music is the one area I avoid come holidays and birthdays.

Grant likes this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You may hate them, but people love them. That way, they can get just what they want. Just give them an iTunes gift card and call it a day.

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You are probably right, just trying to think of some way for OP to give music.

13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

An instrument or tickets to a concert-o.

14. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Wow.

JL6161, ARK and fastskillfulinjured like this.
  15. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

This is actually a good idea. My girlfriend just got me a subscription to Rolling Stone for Christmas last year and I'm not a big reader (I have so many magazines I haven't even gotten to yet :D) but I enjoy Rolling Stone and I thought it was a great gift idea, very clever.

timind and Murph like this.
  16. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I would give the OP the same advice today as I would someone who was buying for a teenager in the 70s (when I was a teen). The difference between something that gets immediately put in the closet and forgotten and something that gets enjoyed is knowing the person's musical tastes. I received many cherished music gifts but I also received many that were simply wrong selections for me.

Get to know your recipient's musical tastes before buying.

Scott

Gaslight likes this.
  17. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Music magazines could be a gateway to buying music. It was for me as a kid (Creem & Circus, e.g.)

18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Only if the recipient A) has an interest in Classic rock and B) has an interest in physical magazines. Going on the OP's comments so far it's very possible that they'd prefer some kind of eService over a magazine.

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I don't mind music as gifts because I love it, but my nephews when it comes to listening to music, etc. mostly go on YouTube, etc.

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Hardly, LP/CDs were sold as consumer products to be used. Only collectors would buy as an investment, but they are a different breed. They value the item far more than the monetary value. They typically sell only when they have no use for the item, or it has inflated to such a point, the profit makes it worthwhile. Even if rare LPs/CDs were worthless, collectors will buy them anyhow. The Beanie Baby craze would be a better analogy. People were definitely buying BBs as an investment. Maybe that's going on with certain rare items, but by no means all.

21. As a yungon' myself, I would suggest going with a CD, as it can be seen as an introduction to physical mediums, and they can work backwards if wanted. If they do look at it like a pair of socks and go back to their iPod, then maybe them going deeper than just Spotify and iTunes just wasn't meant to be.

22. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

With all due respect, they really don't. I can see that your heart's in the right place, and you're obviously trying to get them each a nice gift which should be commended. But based on similar experiences, I really don't think they're going to appreciate a gift of something you want for them to have verses something they might actually have wanted for themselves in the first place.

Basically, don't be this guy:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/cool-dad-raising-daughter-on-media-that-will-put-h,26132/

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    ex_mixer, JPartyka, ARK and 2 others like this.
  23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Shak Cohen likes this.
  24. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

25. evad

evad Well-Known Member

A good internet connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.