Mother's Pride - George Michael

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Lack of touring and TV appearances notwithstanding, I'll never understand why "Older" did next to nothing in the US. Especially, when you consider that it touted as the first release on David Geffen's new "Dreamworks SKG" record label.

2. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

This kind of makes George's so-called hissy fit a tad more understandable. His boss sounds like a bit of a jizzhead in retrospect.

3. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

I'm wondering if George hadn't meant for "Waiting" to sound like a total Stones ripoff, but after it was played back, he somehow admitted his fault and gave Sir Mick and Keef co-credit as to avoid legal tussles?

~Ben

4. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I would wager it was a deliberate reference, then someone had a word in his ear and said that it might prevent a degree of hassle to credit them

5. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

Mother's Pride is a great song. I love the whole album.

GMfan87' likes this.
  6. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

I can attest to George's kind nature. Back in 1999 I was working at Harrods in London in the furniture department. Word went round my office that George Michael was walking round the department. Unable to resist I snuck out the office to see if it was true. I walked round the whole department with no sign of him. Then as I was just nearing my office he suddenly appeared. He smiled and said hi to me and asked how I was keeping. I proceeded to introduce him to some of the sales guy. My impression of him was a very warm friendly chap with no airs and graces.

GMfan87' and In-Absentia like this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That is george to a tee, he is the politest guy you could meet with perfect manners, he was very well brought up.

GMfan87' likes this.
  8. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Listen Without Prejudice, one of my favourite albums of all time.

I wish it for SACD!

candyflip69 likes this.
  9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I want a deluxe reissue with Vol 2!

10. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

Creatively and vocally, GM was at his peak when he was making Faith, LWP and Older. That these albums are so great is not only due to his great song writing and production but also how beautifully and passionately he sounded. It was about ten years at his peak, which is pretty good. But of course, as a fan, I wish he could have released a couple of more albums esp during this period. Interestingly, someone mentioned in GM album to album thread, some of his B side release plus songs in hot dance are enough for an album.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  11. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

an excellent video for a beautifully moving song.

candyflip69 likes this.
  12. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Something to Save is my fav from it lol.

The lyrics "Why can't you reach inside like I have" perfectly describes that frustration when only one is really trying to make it work.
    And "We're getting further from Heaven and closer to the deep blue sea" is a very poetic way to describe how you were once in a perfect relationship but now, little by little it's falling apart.
    Add to that , it's such a great song about facing the reality that it's just not gonna happen, no matter how much you want it to.
    The entire album is a masterpiece of art for me and extremely underrated.
    The passion he put into the lyrics on the Faith album with songs like One More Try and Kissing a Fool and even going back to Careless Whisper and A Different Corner, take an even darker and mature turn on Something to Save, Waiting for that Day and Cowboys and Angles.
    Mother's Pride, is similar in that it still deals with lack of control over a loved one.
    Freedom 90 deals with lack of control over ones self.
    Praying for Time deals with lack of control over our world, as does the cover of They Won't Go When I Go.

13. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

George looked at it like this.
    It wasn't just the Faith album that had placed him at a Pop image.
    All three Wham albums did the same.
    So he was basically running from 4 albums.
    Even songs like Careless Whisper, Heartbeat, A Different Corner, One More Try and Kissing a Fool, didn't help people take him serious as an artist.
    I love Listen Without Prejudice.
    It's my favorite album of the 90s and one of the most underrated IMHO ever.

GMfan87', bob60 and candyflip69 like this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I had a cdr comp in the car this week during my commutes to work, and it included "Mother's Pride" along with other deep album cuts from that era, along with some b-sides, remixes, live songs, and the Red Hot charity tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.