Do you prefer headphones or speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Speakers by a long long way.

2. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

Speakers for me

3. Variable

Variable Forum Resident

These days it is mostly headphones for me. I tend to listen mostly late at night, while the family sleeps.

4. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

I prefer headphones because I think it's easier for me to pick apart details and crank the music as loud as I want. A lot of my music gets listened to when I'm painting, and that means I'm probably not facing the speakers in an ideal way. Also, my 2 and a half year old daughter is usually sleeping when I'm listening. I'll play music throughout the day on the speakers on days off from work, but I'm not often in the room when that's the case.

Headphones mean I can keep my doors open and not have to feel I'm "subjecting" people to my musical taste. I've always liked headphones, and now I've grown to prefer them. Got an extension cord so I can walk around while painting and still use headphones.

richie60 likes this.
  5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've always owned a few decent sets of headphones, my favorite are my Koss ESP 950 electrostatics. I really like the micro detail that can be heard, but my first choice is to listen with speakers.

6. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I said speakers, but I love headphones, too.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  7. The Entertainer

The Entertainer Forum Resident

Speakers, because it's more comfortable and less restricting than being basically attached to my system. I do prefer headphones for critical listening and working on music however.

8. JimD

JimD Forum Resident

Speakers. I like moving a lot of air.

9. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

Speakers , but when I'm mobile or listening in bed at night, headphones.

10. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Speakers.

Though planar cans have been a revelation for me. I fear I may wind up with maggies after all.

Either way, I find a quiet environment, essential. I'd rather, first, turn the world down, than the volume up.

11. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

In the ideal environment, speakers

In day-by-day situations, I use both speakers and headphones

12. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Speakers. I have a pretty decent headphone rig but the sound depresses me compared to my speakers. Not even close.

D.D.

13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Higher-end headphone sound needn't be depressing. Though I understand that headphones are a very very different experience than speakers.

Have you tried the Sennheiser HD800 headphones with your Manley? The HD800 has a high enough impedance that they could be a favorable match with the amp. The HD800 has a soundstage presentation that is quite different from other headphones. It doesn't do the typical style of headphone sound that's trapped in your head. It's sort of like a cross between nearfield speakers and headphones. It's the sort of headphone sound that might get some speaker listeners to try headphones.

Diamond Dog likes this.
  14. flac

flac Well-Known Member

Speakers, without a doubt.
    With that being said, I love my Sony MDR-V6 headphones. They're low impedance, so I can plug them into an iPod un-amped and enjoy a decent portable setup.

2xUeL likes this.
  15. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Headphones for me. Even at home. I like sitting at home with just the music going directly into my ear canals. I also feel like I can hear more details through headphones (or earphones) than speakers since the sound is closer to me.

16. RMB77

RMB77 Well-Known Member

Speakers, by a wide margin. I do much of my listening after everyone else has gone to bed. At my previous home, with my stereo next door to the bedrooms, I always used headphones.
    New home. Well insulated and dedicated listening room at one end of the house and bedrooms at the other. I have not bothered to hook up my phono pre or listen to my HD650's since the move.

17. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

I like both
    HD 800 really are brilliant cans, more revealing than any LS
    However I love small active monitors for stereo field / depth and large active LS for musical scale

18. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

As some have already said, a good set of cans get you so close to the music and I find myself listening that way more and more these days due to our lil' man going to bed so early. That said, I prefer speakers. My room is treated fairly well and no headphone can compete from an imaging and soundstage perspective like a properly set up pair of speakers. In addition to that aspect I like the visceral impact of low frequency - much more realistic - and something that can't be relayed via a pair of cans.

Bill

gd0 likes this.
  19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Used to listen to everything primarily via Stax electrostatic earspeakers. Wore them out, in fact. But I'd never go back. As of now, I hardly ever use my portable music providers. I dislike the isolation that headphones provide, not to mention having over-exposure of errors in production, the glaring obviousness of a lot of edits, punch-ins and so forth.

20. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Big ass speakers; however, when the day comes that I don't live in a detached house, I'll move to headphones.

21. sami

sami Mono still rules

Speakers.

The only time I use headphones at home is when doing needledrops.

22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

That's about as eloquently as I would ever care to put it. :laugh:

Well described.

Up until recently I would've been tempted to post something snarky about cans. But a couple months ago I had the opportunity to listen to them (cheap Sennheisers) for extended periods, and found the alternative experience very enjoyable.

But... speakers all the way.

23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I don't have much choice. Headphones at work because it's at work and speakers would annoy everyone else. Headphones at home because my wife is hard of hearing and doesn't like a lot of noise. The only speakers I have are a 5.1 system that a neighbor gave to me when he upgraded and computer speakers.

24. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I've found the only headphone that works well for commute rides is Bose Quiet comfort 25. I find even standard closed back have to be turned up too much to overcome the external noise. You give up some in sound quality with the noise reduction but I was really amazed at how well they work to play some tunes on a noisy bus ride. The quiet comfort is good at shutting noise out, but as far as keeping sounds in its actually not as good as Sennheiser HD 280 pros. For home listening I use different kinds that can give a better sound than Bose, and rarely take those outside. My walk around outside ones are usually Yamaha RH5ma or sometimes audio technica ATH-ESW9A. The Bose picks up too much wind/air noise- even the air things above you on planes need to be turned down.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Speakers. Headphones are for the train.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.